Social Conditioning

win231

SF VIP
May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'What the herd hates the most is the one who thinks differently. It is not so much the opinion itself, as the audacity of wanting to think for themselves. Something they do not know how to do.- Schopenhauer'

Interesting. And provides an opportunity for a bit of a rant.

As I look back on my relationship failures, a pattern emerges. They didn't want someone prettier or nicer, or a better cook. They wanted someone absolutely normal, who did everything the same as mom or their ex, or women in general. If I figured out a better way, well, that was just terrible!

I agree 100% with the above as I have never been politically correct nor have I followed the sheep. I find that life is more meaningful by thinking for yourself. There are many ideas out there. Some are correct and good. Others are rather stupid and meaningless! It takes some figuring and some deep thinking to figure out which are which but, hey, thinking is good for the brain. It's like a muscle that needs to be stretched. Thinking keeps you young and makes you smart but unfortunately, lots of folks don't like that!

Attachments

• Sheep.jpg
    Sheep.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 2
It takes courage to be different, which is why so many people prefer to 'go with the flow'. Unfortunately, this is how the unacceptable becomes the norm. What is happening in our society at present is the result of mass coercion because anyone who dares to stand up for what is right is ostracised.
At the moment, there are certain factions trying to force through their own agenda. Anyone objecting is ridiculed. It amazes me just how many well-known people are prepared to defend those who are spreading untruths. They just don't have the courage not to, or perhaps they fear for their careers.

It takes courage to be different, which is why so many people prefer to 'go with the flow'. Unfortunately, this is how the unacceptable becomes the norm. What is happening in our society at present is the result of mass coercion because anyone who dares to stand up for what is right is ostracised.
At the moment, there are certain factions trying to force through their own agenda. Anyone objecting is ridiculed. It amazes me just how many well-known people are prepared to defend those who are spreading untruths. They just don't have the courage not to, or perhaps they fear for their careers.
Everything you said works both ways. Either 'side' can claim that about the other and might even be accurate.

I agree 100% with the above as I have never been politically correct nor have I followed the sheep. I find that life is more meaningful by thinking for yourself. There are many ideas out there. Some are correct and good. Others are rather stupid and meaningless! It takes some figuring and some deep thinking to figure out which are which but, hey, thinking is good for the brain. It's like a muscle that needs to be stretched. Thinking keeps you young and makes you smart but unfortunately, lots of folks don't like that!
I wonder how much original thought is being stymied when so many have their nose stuck in their smart phone focused on social media.

To one degree or another most of us are guilty of being the "sheep". Partly because its not easy to really come up with truly unique ideas, and partly because its comfortable knowing others agree with us. One way you see that on here are the quotes people so often use to state positions, even the one @win231 started with. Taking a minority position is not really the same thing as unique thought.

What bothers me more is the tendency to adopt thought of a whole group on a lot of issues. For example in the US I think too many people just accept the Republican (conservative) or Democratic (liberal) party lines. I like to think of myself as an independent thinker, but honestly what I do is try to listen to all sides and then choose the one that I find most logical. The side I choose varies depending on the issue, which seems to keep both my conservative and liberal friends a bit unhappy.
Everything you said works both ways. Either 'side' can claim that about the other and might even be accurate.
Absolutely!

@win231 for whatever reason I often cannot read the pictures you post. None in this thread.

I've been divorced once, widowed once, and am now in the best relationship I've ever had - I never had children, never wanted children, and now I have five granddaughters, all of whom came along after my wife and I got together.

I'm working, (primarily on my 'favorite', although I'd never admit to having a favorite), on skepticism.......by saying things that are outrageously untrue and then throwing in something that is true but sounds totally fabricated.

The 'fave', when she stayed over on her own, would sit opposite me at mealtimes and I'd feed her stories.....she'd look at my wife for confirmation or denial.......the objective is to get her/them to check everything regardless of how plausible or implausible it may sound.

If thinking for oneself was prevalent in today's world, the profession of INFLUENCER* would not have so many practitioners.

*When the collection of "likes" and "followers" can provide someone with a sustainable income.

Back