Social Security Hassle

treeguy64

Hari Om, y'all!
This past May, I went to the SSA office, in Austin. I wanted to file on my ex's SS, which would increase my monthly checks. I had to wait until this year, because she turns 62, this month.

The agent I had was very nice, but something was very "off," with her. After our session, I drove home feeling like I was in The Twilight Zone. She had spoken a kind of double talk that made little sense, to me. I had the papers she gave me, but I never looked too hard at them. Big mistake. During my session, she told me I would get a big increase in my monthly check, plus a catch-up check, including payments from last November, when I turned 66, to the present. I asked her to write down the amounts, and she only put them on her calculator, and passed it to me, over the counter in her window. Very odd.

I kept calling the SSA, over the next eight weeks, and after the fourth call, I knew my hunch was correct: The agent I had in Austin had made a mess of things. I finally looked at the papers she had given me, while I was on the phone, and found she had applied to get me Medicare, which I've had for about the last five years! I told the phone agent that I'd go back to the SSA in Austin, and ended the call.

At the SSA, today, I quickly got in, and was assigned to a great agent. He looked at my case and confirmed my suspicions: The agent I had, previously, was a brand new hire, and she had, in fact, coded my case incorrectly, and failed to transmit all of the paperwork I gave her.

Everything was resubmitted, and i was shown what my payments would be, approximately, although, once again, the agent couldn't write anything down. Rest assured, I did!

Now, I have to wait "2-4 weeks" before I get my new payments, and a catch-up check from November to the present.

I can only keep my fingers crossed. I'll never call the SSA, again. This is important: During each call, I could sense that my file was completely baffling the phone agents, but they weren't forthcoming, with me. They simply told me I needed to wait to hear from them, in the future. Nonsense! Nothing was being done to correct the errors my original agent had made. Had I not gone in, today, my case would have stayed in limbo.

I'll only go in to my local office, and speak to an agent, face to face, from now on.

Be careful in your dealings with the SSA. I strongly recommend you handle things in person, not on the phone. Also, thoroughly check any paperwork you're given, before you leave the SSA. Had I not been so freaked out after my first meeting, had I checked my paperwork, my case would have been processed, a month ago, I believe, and my new checks on the way.

Interesting. Just curious, will you ex-wife be filing on your social security to get an increase for her off yours? And, if so, how would that wash out in the end?

Interesting. Just curious, will you ex-wife be filing on your social security to get an increase for her off yours? And, if so, how would that wash out in the end?
Makes no sense, at all. She made more money than me, as she was in hospital management. When an ex files on an ex's SS, it has zero effect on the total payments to the higher earning ex.

I am rapidly becoming am expert on my case, now, having done much research. It appears that the agent, today, didn't know what he was talking about, just like the first agent I dealt with. Once again, I'll have to go back and talk to yet another (probably) misinformed agent. What fun this is......

It just keeps going on, and on, and........

I still don't have closure on my application for ex spouse benefits. The first agent I met with was brand new, and she filed for the wrong thing! The second agent I met with, two months later, gave me misinformation and absurd calculations. Now, the office wants proof of my ex's birthday!!! So, now I have to meet her at the Vital Statistics Office, and go through that process. Then, it'll be back to the local SSA office to meet with another stupid agent. Yeah, they are stupid. The phone agent, today, gave me more misinformation. Now, by my own efforts, I know the SSA rules and regulations better than their own stupid agents! I corrected the phone rep, and she checked what I told her, and thanked me for giving her the correct info! Shouldn't it be the other way around? I anticipate that I'll start receiving the correct payments by January of next year. Oh well. I'll only lose about $500 on their ineptitude.

It should be noted that if I hadn't called the SSA, today, my case would eternally show "being processed," even though there was no attempt to get my ex's bc, on their part. I'm now doing their job. Goofy as hell, but I'll hopefully force closure when they run out of hoops for me to jump through!

Last edited:
FINALLY! I called the local office, today. I told the phone rep that I know more than the agents she's working with. I asked for someone who could tell me that my calculations were right or wrong, since they made far more sense, to me, than the nonsense the two in-person reps had given me, on my last two visits.

I was given to a woman who knew her stuff. Yay! She was the same woman, I later found out, who had called my ex, and got me off the hook for having to track down my ex's birth certificate. She did her own calculations. We were a few dollars apart, since she had a different starting figure that I was not privy to.

The two other agents had told me I'd get additional payments of $4-$500/mo. with a back payment check for $4-8,000!!!! It was a nice fantasy, but I knew they were dumber than a box of rocks.

In the final analysis, I'll be making about an extra hundred a month, and get a back payment check for a few hundred dollars. This will happen in 30-60 days. I'm not holding my breath, but I feel a lot better than I did a few days ago.

Remember, if you had an ex who made very major bucks, and whose social security payments are more than double yours, you are entitled to half of what he/she makes, monthly, provided you were married at least ten years, and provided YOU did not remarry. If you took your SS before full retirement, the payments you get, based on 50% of your ex's monthly payments, will be reduced by your early payment percentage. Your taking what you're entitled to, has absolutely ZERO effect on your ex's monthly payments.

Never assume that the SSA agents you speak with know what they're talking about. Only one of the agents I dealt with, out of seven, actually did. Do your own research. Good luck!

Today, I got my final payment update letter from SSA. Interestingly, when I went online, all that was posted, on my SSA page, was that a letter was coming that would contain my new payment notification. Why couldn't they simply put that info on my SSA page? Just more asinine, bureaucratic nonsense.

This whole thing began on May 8th, 2019. It was closed out on August 12th, 2019. Given that I was told to apply three months before my ex's 62 birthday, which I did, and that my benefit increase couldn't go into effect until August, the month after her birthday, which it has, I am fairly satisfied with how this all turned out. My first, new, increased check will get to my bank in September, which is correct, since the checks go out for the preceding month. So, this took two in-person visits to the SSA, five calls to phone agents. I received absolutely incorrect info from six agents, on-the-money info from a second tier agent, in my local office.

From start to finish, approximately ninety days, with a good deal of work, on my part. Again, NEVER trust that SSA agents know what they're talking about. From my experience, only 1/7 did. Do your own research, know your own case inside and out, BEFORE you ever make contact with the SSA. Again, good luck to you!

Back