Some personal observations on the year we have had

Marie5656

Well, last year at this time I was planning all the new and exciting things I wanted to do in 2020. Travel some, go on new adventures, learn new things, etc.
Then 2020 happened and it all went out the window. But you know, I am still grateful I had a pretty OK year anyway. I got my new car, moved to a great new apartment. I stayed healthy and am reasonably happy that I did, indeed survive the year.
I hope for a better, safer, healthier 2021 for myself and everyone here.

Good for you Marie & it's nice reading a positive post.

There is a bright side to 2020. You got a new car & moved into a great new apartment. That should make any travel plans a lot easier since moving & reliable transportation are set.

Hope 2021 is better for you & you get to experience what you hope to do,

@Marie5656 have you been able to make any new friends yet. When we lived in the apartment last year I tried had to make friends but people were so busy it didn’t seem possible. The one young woman I met would only talk as we passed each other in getting our walking steps in, 😂.

She walked much faster than me. Then there was an older woman that wanted to talk from her balcony. đŸ€ŠđŸ»â€â™€ïž 2020 has been a real bummer and I doubt 2021 will be better. I am looking forward to 2022. I am happy than you are in a good place. Keep us updated on how you like it.

@Aneeda72 to the best I have been able, yes, I have already met some nice people. But, considering the community room is closed, for now, and we have to limit our time in the common areas, I am doing the best I can. I have had some nice conversations in the common areas, laundry room, and outside during the nicer weather. I am sure more significant friendships will develop as time passes.

@Aneeda72 to the best I have been able, yes, I have already met some nice people. But, considering the community room is closed, for now, and we have to limit our time in the common areas, I am doing the best I can. I have had some nice conversations in the common areas, laundry room, and outside during the nicer weather. I am sure more significant friendships will develop as time passes.
Oh good. I wanted to move to a senior apartment so wondered how it was. I am sure once Covid-19 is vaccinated against social life can start again. In my house in my neighborhood not a chance, people are so closed in 😧.

Well, last year at this time I was planning all the new and exciting things I wanted to do in 2020. Travel some, go on new adventures, learn new things, etc.
Then 2020 happened and it all went out the window. But you know, I am still grateful I had a pretty OK year anyway. I got my new car, moved to a great new apartment. I stayed healthy and am reasonably happy that I did, indeed survive the year.
Live the attitude, Marie 💕. I feel much the same!

I thought 2020 was awful...but now looking back on it, I realize it wasn’t so awful after all. Our granson graduated from high school, our nephew got married, my husband’s brothers and our sons were all able to be together for a fun weekend of golfing, we were able to see all 7 of our grandkids in one weekend, my cousin found his birth mother, all of our friends and family are still alive and well, and our Christmas turned out magical...and those are just the highlights I can name off the top of my head. 2020 was inconvenient, to say the least, but once again we made it thru another year with no tragedies, and I feel very blessed

2020 was a unique year one we'll never forget
On a personal note,I lost a few close church friends this yr,they were all older than me mostly in their 80's,90's One in particular,Peter was like a favorite uncle.I couldn't grieve with other church members because my church has been closed since March. In JUly,I did not communicate with my minister for 5 months after learning one of our long time staff members lost her job due to budget cuts.I was so upset&angry the personnel comm didn't bother to inform the congregation about the decision I took my anger out at him.I was in a difficult situation because I had been friends with him&his family for over 20 yrs,I really did not want to end the friendship.I sent him apology email Thanksgiving week, deeply regret saying what I did, because I wasn't thinking clearly I told him I don't know if our friendship was beyond repair. He told me my email was a 'perfect Thanksgiving gift,our friendship is still intact'
Thank God for Zoom,I can see my brother&his family every Sun,lately our sister who lives in England has joined the meetings as well.
I have 2 wonderful friends Thora&Mary, who offered back in April to take me places I needed to go.Mary&I go on weekly 'road trips' which have been fun&we laugh alot.I don;t see her during the week because she is still working.Thora&I go grocery shopping almost every week,its been great.
I'm still in good health,even with Mr Arthritis it doesn't stop me for taking my daily walks

I think one of the things this year has done is to show people in all their different guises.
Some rallied round to offer help to those who were afraid to go out. Some were so selfish they refused to wear masks to protect themselves as well as others.
Some did sponsored events to raise money for those who needed financial help, others thought it was the end of the world because their foreign holidays were cancelled.
If we all continue the routine of masks,etc...there should be a huge reduction in all viruses, not just this one. My daughter in law suffers each winter with a bad throat. This year, she has had no problems, which presumably is because of the masks.
I wonder how many people gave masks as Christmas presents? They have become a fashion accessory, something we all need a supply of.

@Marie5656, I love your can-do attitude! 2020 for me has stretched me both personally and professionally. Some relationships are strained; some a strengthened. I am working to rebuild my concentration, learning new dances, aiming at new ways of keeping my brain active while still relaxing in my time off, and traveling via the internet until I can do it again in person. I have reached some major financial goals. God has been an unfailing Rock in life's storms this year; I am grateful for my church family. And grateful for the friends and fellowship on SF!

My feeling has been to try and stay positive, or sink into a deep well of depression over all this. Being depressed will not change circumstances. That being said I am not trying to downplay the current Covid situation, but I need to still work on living my life, staying safe and being happy

you too marie :)

2020 was a unique year one we'll never forget
On a personal note,I lost a few close church friends this yr,they were all older than me mostly in their 80's,90's One in particular,Peter was like a favorite uncle.I couldn't grieve with other church members because my church has been closed since March. In JUly,I did not communicate with my minister for 5 months after learning one of our long time staff members lost her job due to budget cuts.I was so upset&angry the personnel comm didn't bother to inform the congregation about the decision I took my anger out at him.I was in a difficult situation because I had been friends with him&his family for over 20 yrs,I really did not want to end the friendship.I sent him apology email Thanksgiving week, deeply regret saying what I did, because I wasn't thinking clearly I told him I don't know if our friendship was beyond repair. He told me my email was a 'perfect Thanksgiving gift,our friendship is still intact'
Thank God for Zoom,I can see my brother&his family every Sun,lately our sister who lives in England has joined the meetings as well.
I have 2 wonderful friends Thora&Mary, who offered back in April to take me places I needed to go.Mary&I go on weekly 'road trips' which have been fun&we laugh alot.I don;t see her during the week because she is still working.Thora&I go grocery shopping almost every week,its been great.
I'm still in good health,even with Mr Arthritis it doesn't stop me for taking my daily walks
Sounds perfect, except for Peter. Isn’t it great to have friends like Mary and Thora???

2020 proved to me Americans are not the wonderful caring people we are often told about. Rather ,too many showed they care little if anything for the friends and neighbors and are unwilling to care about something as serious as illness and death. Whether it is ignorance or conceited arrogance I can say it is disappointing to learn so many Americans displayed this attitude this year.

2020 proved to me Americans are not the wonderful caring people we are often told about. Rather ,too many showed they care little if anything for the friends and neighbors and are unwilling to care about something as serious as illness and death. Whether it is ignorance or conceited arrogance I can say it is disappointing to learn so many Americans displayed this attitude this year.

Our society has changed sadly, and drifted toward the dark side, but on the Upside there are many more that remain responsible and caring.

I was disappointed to...BUT...do not think, for one second, that these were the reactions and feelings of the MAJORITY of Americans. Most of is are far better than that đŸ„°

Usually, when a major catastrophe hits, there's always questions as to who could benefit. Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc made hundreds of billions off of this. To hell with the family-owned businesses and local small market stores. Big Tech, that's who made out and is prospering at numbers we cannot even comprehend. No more going out and having fun with your friends and family - stay inside alone and simply buy & use our products.

it was a very odd year and in general we saw many different reactions. Some that will last in my mind.
I think the most alarming to me is the idea of those whom self appointed themselves as experts lecturing others on items that are fluid. We do not know all about this virus or long term effects of virus OR our course of action. First we were told no masks..... now some people would like all to wear them 24 /7.
Any deviation is seen as something completely out of proportion. Simply without any CONTEXT some people have issues breathing with the masks and want to wear as little as possible I get 3 day long migraines if i wear for a couple of hours. some seem to feel i must sacrifice my health ....... for others if they see me only put on mask at last moment before going into a store etc.
I know kids whose nose dries out and have serious nosebleeds each day wearing them, I doubt that is a healthy reaction.
Had a whole construction crew working on project at my job come down with severe strep throat ( cases in my area through the roof) and other respiratory issues from breathing in exhaled air.

Do you think companies whom now have got into the mask or sanitizer any business profiting off fear....want this nightmare to end ... I doubt it. the put in money to make masks etc they want the gravy train to roll on.
Look at the companies that decided LOGOS on masks are great..... does the person wearing realize they just Volunteered their face as a billboard .... funny thing, I am old enough to remember when companies paid for advertising not customers paying to be ad boards we have seen it for years on shirts and clothing now we add our face as more ad space.

I keep hearing about the mask use in Asia for years...... but mostly that was about pollution not virus.

A few years ago we had hand sanitizer and anti bacterial soap and antibiotic overuse etc.
Overuse created super bugs that ended up as items like MRSA...... I almost lost part of a hand to that.
So I am concerned as people are practically swimming in sanitizer .....there will be fall out...history shows that.... I am sorry if these thoughts are not in line with others but try for even a moment to walk in another persons shoes or think about what this is doing to us.
That is what is missing too many just have a belief and make assumptions about any differing thoughts without careful consideration that maybe there is another vantage point, we may not see from our current position.

One thing is certain; we are living in historic times, and not in any positive sense. There has been a surreal feeling to much of what has already transpired, almost as if fiction such as what was written in "Contagion" and "The Andromeda Strain" was playing out in real life. I would have never imagined the scope of the deaths, the magnitude of the fears, and the impact upon daily life such as the restrictions and shortages. Who would have thought that I'd have a giddy feeling upon finally being able to buy off-brand toilet paper last winter? To some degree, the pandemic has brought out elements always there under the surface of humanity; the bad have become worse, and the good more virtuous. Hopefully as Nietzsche expressed, that which doesn't destroy you makes you stronger. Hope can emerge from Pandora's box...

Back