Some "silly" Advice...that may "be true"...

If you start having trouble getting up out of a chair.........It may be a forewarning of Parkinson's symptoms. My Doctor uses a simple test. Get up without pushing on the arms of the chair, and see if you need more than one try to get to your feet. JimB.

Yup, that's true for me. I just wonder if anyone knows why? It seems like my brain no longer has control over my hips. Dime-store diagnosis, anyone?
for me it's because I have a crook Knee... In fact just 20 minutes ago I was kneeling on the cushion knee pad on the kitchen floor washing it..(I use a mop a lot now ) ..but I had to get glue off the floor so it meant kneeling.. but I have to either use the kneeling stool which has a double handle to support me to get up.. but as I had just used the normal sponge knee pad today, I had to position myself right next to one of the counters to pull me up.

I very often use the door handles to pull me up as well ... ..and I'm an otherwise very active person...

for me it's because I have a crook Knee... In fact just 20 minutes ago I was kneeling on the cushion knee pad on the kitchen floor washing it..(I use a mop a lot now ) ..but I had to get glue off the floor so it meant kneeling.. but I have to either use the kneeling stool which has a double handle to support me to get up.. but as I had just used the normal sponge knee pad today, I had to position myself right next to one of the counters to pull me up.

I very often use the door handles to pull me up as well ... ..and I'm an otherwise very active person...
My knees are fine, though my ankles are somewhat iffy. My problem is with crouching/squatting which I used to do more often that I realized. Now, I can't get down like that to play with the dog or an infant on the floor or pull weeds. It's embarrassing, to be honest. I have to rock on all fours and pull with my arms. Steep steps are also a challenge. Whine, whimper, moan! I can't wait to get the kneeler you recommended!

Last edited:
Some of my spryness is surely attributable to my relative youth (69) within the seniorhood scale. Also, although I've had stints of hard physical labor now and again (my husband refers to me as a "sturdy woman" - meaning I won't shy away from helping move or lift things and other physically hard work), my vocations and avocations rarely involved lifting objects heavier than about 40 lbs, children being a notable exception.

DH has had a bad back (L4 & L5 issues) since his early twenties. Having been there, done that himself, he's always been very cautionary and protective of how I treat mine.

I can get up from chairs and sitting on bed without using a hand. From floor or ground i generally sort of spiral my torso and use one hand to push up.

I suspect i'm not only one for whom the problem is partly in the knees as well as one hip or both. And because we are aware that fall related injuries have more lasting impact as we age, we may often use a hand to stabilize ourselves sometimes tho we may not always need it, because better to prevent even a minor injury than risk having to recover from one.

Back