Someone Tried To Use My Visa Card

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
I have the Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited. My son is a co-card holder for the latter. The charge was for $10.96 at CIGARS. I called my son, who has never smoked to ask if he made the charge (perhaps a gift for a friend?). He said no. I was notified by text and email. I texted back No and got an email later saying they secured my account and will send out new cards. This has happened to me before, several years ago. The first time with a Bank of America card. The perp charged something for $10 then tried to charge airline tickets on a Caribbean line. The next time it was with Chase and the person tried to charge a minimal amount at a gas station in Pennsylvania. I imagine if they had been successful they would have charged larger amounts.

I realize that people can scan your credit cards while the cards are still in your wallet if they are not protected by RFID methods. Mine are. They can also randomly get numbers from the dark web. Have any of you had this happen?

I was online not long ago and about to pay for a machine embroidery design using my credit card
As the site didn’t offer paypal as an option ,then my phone rang and it was my bank asking to not proceed with the payment ..,.so someone must be “watching “ all of the time
This was after hours about 9pm

Yes. When I got a new card, the first time I used it was to register with an on-line supermarket. Shortly afterwards, it was used by someone to book a holiday to the Far East. Fortunately, the card company were suspicious and phoned me to check. They cancelled the card, and I cancelled my account with the supermarket.

Yes it happened to my husband back in around 2002 before RFID wallets were available.. but in any event it wouldn't have helped him in this case..

First we knew about it was that we got a call from the Banks' fraud department, saying his card had been compromised. Turns out the cashier at the Esso garage (filling station) was cloning the cards under the counter using a debit/credit card skimming machine .. (that was in the days when you handed your card over instead of self tapping).. they'd scammed over £30,000 from lots of people in this area , and 6 immigrants were arrested , it was a scam they'd come to this country to carry out and had been successful in other fuel stations as well around the country!

never happened to me yet. Not sure if I'm just lucky or what. you have to be on guard at gas stations (if you pay with a card at the pump) for skimmers. check for hidden cameras near the keypad, and use your hands to cover up your pin while you enter it. does not always work but you have to try something to protect your pin.

It happened to me years ago, bought some gas at a Canadian Tire station. On the printout 3 weeks later it showed me buying the Can Tire gas then 15 minutes later buying another 150.00 dollars gas in Belleville. That is 3 hours from here. When I called it in, they told me I was already being recompensed for the Belleville gas. Opp had picked up 6 new immigrants in this area and a bunch more out west.

It has happened to my wife and I several times and our credit cards were quickly cancelled and replaced.
I check our credit cards everyday and have spotted the last few times that this has happened.

My wife and I carry different credit cards from different companies and believe that this safety precaution is critical when we travel. If one of us loses, or has a card cancelled while we are travelling, them we will have at least one functional card available.

Modern life isn't always "convenient."

My CC companies have contacted me now and then over the years to verify charges that seem unusual or very high. I have no problem with that.

@OneEyedDiva, do you keep your CCs in an RFID sleeve or case? Something like that?
Star, mine are actually doubly protected. I made aluminum sleeves for my cards and they are kept in a pouch with RFID protection.

I would not put so much info out for all to see about what card you have etc but that is up to you. they did give you a new card I hope?
I challenge anyone here to try to get into any of my accounts using the name OneEyedDiva. LOL :ROFLMAO: If I was using my real name, I would absolutely agree with you. Plus since I am not giving out any parts of the numbers, I would say fellow forum members have less a chance of hacking my accounts than those on the dark web (not that I think anyone here would try to do that). And yes, they are sending out new cards.

Also I despise Paypal and refuse to use it although I inadvertently do when I buy from Ebay (It's a Paypal company). My husband had an account which he thinks he had a couple of hundred dollars in and Paypal closed it without explanation. He was unable to get his money back. Before that, I had opened an account and attached a credit card with the lowest credit line available so I could use it just for online purchases. I had not used the card at all when I downloaded a song from iTunes for $1. Paypal refused to pay the charge. Why? No explanation! Then I started reading horror stories by people who used Paypal. In addition they also cancelled the account of an Islamic radio program I donated to. It started to look like they were discriminating against Muslims. I don't know...maybe not but I found it beyond coincidental.

Last edited:
I've had very good experiences with PayPal over the years. It was our sole payment option for our online store. We processed hundreds of thousands of dollars through PP without a hitch. For the online portion of our business, which was 75% seasonal, PP was much less expensive than other online credit or debit card processors.

We offered alternatives for the very few people who refused to use PayPal.

I challenge anyone here to try to get into any of my accounts using the name OneEyedDiva. LOL :ROFLMAO: If I was using my real name, I would absolutely agree with you. Plus since I am not giving out any parts of the numbers, I would say fellow forum members have less a chance of hacking my accounts than those on the dark web (not that I think anyone here would try to do that). And yes, they are sending out new cards.

Also I despise Paypal and refuse to use it although I inadvertently do when I buy from Ebay (It's a Paypal company). My husband had an account which he thinks he had a couple of hundred dollars in and Paypal closed it without explanation. He was unable to get his money back. Before that, I had opened an account and attached a credit card with the lowest credit line available so I could use it just for online purchases. I had not used the card at all when I downloaded a song from iTunes for $1. Paypal refused to pay the charge. Why? No explanation! Then I started reading horror stories by people who used Paypal. In addition they also cancelled the account of an Islamic radio program I donated to. It started to look like they were discriminating against Muslims. I don't know...maybe not but I found it beyond coincidental.

Why would a company whose sole goal is to help people find a safe way to pay their bills discriminate against anyone of color? And furthermore, how would they know if a person were a specific color anyway? I do not recall having to answer such a question when I signed up for it recently.

Why would a company whose sole goal is to help people find a safe way to pay their bills discriminate against anyone of color? And furthermore, how would they know if a person were a specific color anyway? I do not recall having to answer such a question when I signed up for it recently.
If you notice I said against Muslims, I did not specify a race. And if you notice I also said it seemed less than coincidental. But FYI...when I was in my late 20's, I took organ lessons at a local music studio which was owned by two brothers who are White. They both took a liking to me. The oldest one called me Cleopatra, the other called me Cinderella. Why, I could not tell you. The oldest one's wife and children also worked there on occasion and I got along well with the entire family. When I decided to purchase an organ, the youngest brother "warned me" that my loan application may or may not be approved and that merchants were told to code the applications when the applicant was Black. He was not kidding either. I did get the loan and they eventually hired me to teach music there part time. BTW..the discriminatory practice was still going on, at least as of 2018.
https://www.theroot.com/redlining-2-0-how-banks-block-black-homebuyers-1823083306

Last edited:
If you notice I said against Muslims, I did not specify a race. And if you notice I also said it seemed less than coincidental. But FYI...when I was in my late 20's, I took organ lessons at a local music studio which was owned by two brothers. They both took a liking to me. The oldest one called me Cleopatra, the other called me Cinderella. Why, I could not tell you. The oldest one's wife and children also worked there on occasion and I got along well with the entire family. When I decided to purchase an organ, the youngest brother "warned me" that my loan application may or may not be approved and that merchants were told to code the applications when the applicant was Black. He was not kidding either. I did get the loan and they eventually hired me to teach music there part time. BTW..the discriminatory practice was still going on, at least as of 2018.
https://www.theroot.com/redlining-2-0-how-banks-block-black-homebuyers-1823083306

Do they just assume that people of different races do not have the finances to cover what they are sending the payment in for? I am sorry that people have to be subjected to this type of treatment.

Last edited:
1 of our credit cards was hacked just last week. Luckily I check it online every day & saw that some1 had used its number to buy about $500 worth of sunglasses and about $400 worth of Corning/Revereware dishes at stores in a tourist town 3,000 miles from here. I got on the phone to the card's fraud division & the guy said "What about this $250 charge to the Corning/Revereware store that just came in? Is that phony too?" I said it sure is; so I guess I caught it while the shopper was still there. That card was also hacked about 5 yrs ago; the finan. institution the card's with called me & asked if I had just gone online trying to buy a $1,100 plane ticket; I said no & they said "We didn't think that was you so we didn't let it go through." And about 10 years ago, somebody used the number on our debit card to buy gas at a gas station about 250 miles away; the bank didn't catch that one, diff. bank so I guess some are better than others. I keep wondering how they do this if you didn't lose your card(s); maybe by hacking an online site where you used the card? So frustrating.

Back