Soup, Beautiful Soup

Minestra - Beans and Greens Soup
This traditional soup is easy to make and is packed with nutrition and flavor.
Prep Time
5minutes mins
Cook Time
15minutes mins
Total Time
20minutes mins
Course: Soups, Soups & StewsCuisine: Italian Servings: 4 servings Calories: 226kcal Author: Mary Bryant Shrader
Equipment
Medium-sized saucepan or soup pot
Ingredients
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 medium Yellow or white onion, peeled and diced
4 cloves Fresh garlic, chopped fine
1 tsp Salt
3-4 cups Cooked cannellini beans or another white bean, divided
1 quart Chicken bone broth or chicken broth Vegetable broth or water may be substituted.
1 head Escarole or other tender green, washed and chopped
Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated Optional
Instructions
Pour olive oil into the saucepan or soup pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
Add onion to the heated olive oil, and sauté until the onion is softened and translucent. This process takes 2-3 minutes.
Add chopped garlic, and sauté for an additional minute until fragrant.
Add the salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Add half of the beans to the onion and garlic mixture. Mash the beans. (See video.)
Add the chopped escarole to the onion, garlic, and mashed bean mixture, and stir well to incorporate the greens.
Add the remaining beans and broth to the pot, stir well, and bring the mixture up to a boil. Next, turn the heat to medium, cover the pot, and allow the soup to simmer for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn off the heat. Your soup is ready to serve, and you can ladle it into soup bowls. If you want, you can also grate cheese on top of the soup.
This soup will stay fresh, refrigerated for 3-4 days. Or you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
Notes
Find this recipe and video at How to Make Italian Minestra - Beans and Greens Soup
Copyright © 2021 Mary's Nest, LLC, All Rights Reserved
Nutrition
Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 986mg | Potassium: 406mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2439IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 151mg | Iron: 4mg

Does anyone have a good recipe for curried cauliflower soup? We used to buy one - it was our favorite soup, but it's no longer available.
I found this recipe on line and it tastes a lot like the one my cousin, the chef makes. It is delicious.:

Ingredients​

• 750 g (1,5lb) cauliflower separated into florets, stems roughly chopped
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 2 tbsp curry powder of your choice (I like to use Garam Masala)
  • 1 tsp salt

For the soup​

• 1 onion finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves minced
  • 2 tsp crushed ginger
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • ½ tsp chilli powder
  • ½ tsp ground cardamom
  • 6 cups stock/broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup coconut milk (optional)

Instructions​

• Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
  • Toss the cauliflower with the oil, curry powder and salt.
  • Spread onto a large, greased sheet pan and roast for 20-30 minutes or until the stems are fork-tender.
  • To make the soup, saute the onion until soft and translucent. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
  • Add the cauliflower and spices and cook for a minute or two, stirring to coat the cauliflower in the aromatics.
  • Pour in the chicken stock and coconut milk if using, season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer until the cauliflower is tender.
  • Blend until smooth, adjust seasoning and serve.

Nutrition​

Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 529mg | Potassium: 627mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 59IU | Vitamin C: 62mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg

Pin

Post navigation​

https://simply-delicious-food.com/crispy-orange-chicken/
Previous
Crispy Orange Chicken

Next

Cheesy jalapeño po

Today I made Carrot Cashew soup for my friends who are covering from Covid. It also was suitable for the diet they’re on. I made enough for us too. This was an old recipe from the 70s in Recipes for a Small Planet.

I make large pots of soup for my husband. Never any meat it in. Lots of beans, vegetables, tomatoes, etc and whatever spices I think would be a good idea that day. I freeze them up so he has a variety.

Here’s an idea for those that freeze up single servings. Freeze the soup in those red disposable cups and them pop the soup out into a freezer bag. I’ve never tried it but it seems like it would work.
I'll have to try this one. I make a cream of carrot soup with ginger and it's luscious. Not a cashew fan, but this one sounds interesting.

I make this, in some form or another, often. A soup like this is one of my big favorites.

For me, the Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, is a must. I'll also add all or some of- chopped celery, or carrots.
I also make something similar. I cook the onions, garlic, mashed beans and broth until that part is done, then add carrots and celery, only cooking them until the broth comes back to a boil and veggies are tender-crisp. Beans can be cannellini, kidney, garbanzos or a combination of those, and they go in after the soup is cooked. The greens are added to the serving bowls with the hot soup poured over them. Wilts them some, but not completely.

When making soup, I cook enough to last a few days.

Since it's chilly here (well, chilly by So Cal standards - highs in the low 60s), your post has inspired me to assemble my ingredients to make a pot of soup this afternoon! Thanks, ladies!!!

It's pretty spicy, might have to add some potatoes to sop up some of the zing before we eat it tomorrow.
I did that by cooking 2 potatoes until fork tender, riced them, and then cooked in the soup for a few minutes. Then I added the reserved coconut solids from the can just before serving and it was pretty darn good in terms of spice level and creaminess. Will be making cauliflower curry soup from time to time.

010224a.jpg

Sunday on New years Eve mic'd this lentil soup from a can of Progresso. Not nearly as good as you gals that make soup from natural ingredients though canned soup products in this era given science and oversight are much improved.

Vegetable Classic Lentil | Canned Soup | Progresso

Progresso Vegetable Classics Lentil Soup is a savory soup that will warm you right up with the wholesome flavors of lentils, celery and spinach. This canned soup contains one-half cup of vegetables per serving and no artificial flavors and no colors from artificial sources. Unlike instant ramen, Progresso soup is ready to serve, no need to add water.

Ingredients
Water, Lentils, Celery, Tomato Paste, Spinach. Contains less than 1% of: Modified Food Starch, Salt, Soybean Oil, Sugar, Natural Flavor, Yeast Extract.

View attachment 323159

Sunday on New years Eve mic'd this lentil soup from a can of Progresso. Not nearly as good as you gals that make soup from natural ingredients though canned soup products in this era given science and oversight are much improved.

Vegetable Classic Lentil | Canned Soup | Progresso

Progresso Vegetable Classics Lentil Soup is a savory soup that will warm you right up with the wholesome flavors of lentils, celery and spinach. This canned soup contains one-half cup of vegetables per serving and no artificial flavors and no colors from artificial sources. Unlike instant ramen, Progresso soup is ready to serve, no need to add water.

Ingredients
Water, Lentils, Celery, Tomato Paste, Spinach. Contains less than 1% of: Modified Food Starch, Salt, Soybean Oil, Sugar, Natural Flavor, Yeast Extract.
Progresso Lentil Soup isn't bad in a pinch.

Making lentil soup today. My twist on lentil soup is adding curry and medium (not hot) green enchilada sauce to the broth & water. Plus generous amounts the usual suspects: sautéed garlic and onions, then carrots and celery added very near the end. Sometimes I MW the carrots and celery to tender-crisp and put them in the soup after the lentils are perfectly cooked. I'm ok with cooked-down onions, but not so much with other vegetables.

Ladle the hot soup in serving bowls over some power greens and top off with a squeeze of lemon.

Delish!

Made some chicken with rice soup recently. I take a few frozen chicken tenders and cook in chicken broth in a pan over the stove. I add sliced celery with a dash of olive oil, and cook for 20 minutes. I open a Campbell's chicken-with-rice-soup (I remove most of the rice, though, because of the carbs) and pour the contents into the chicken-and-broth mixture and add one can of water to the mix. I add some garlic, salt and pepper to taste. I also add oregano and snips of basil from my basil plant. I squeeze two whole lemons into the soup. Then I cut the chicken into pieces when done. The soup is lemony and tasty, like avgolemeno soup. Yum!

As tends to happen, I made way more lentil soup than we'll want to eat over the next couple of days. Glad there was freezer space for a couple good-sized containers of it.

Back