Sprayed by a skunk

I never have but a few years ago, I took my Yellow Lab outside & he immediately ran into the yard & I heard a commotion. It was at night & I always take a powerful flashlight with me but I didn't see anything. When my dog came back, he smelled terrible - like burned rice. He ran into the laundry room & rubbed his nose & face on a spare bed, then he ran upstairs & rubbed his face on some of my shoes; of course I couldn't stop him.
I threw the bed, frame & headboard away, along with 3 pairs of shoes. I looked online & found a remedy that worked for him - washing him 3 times with a mixture of peroxide, baking soda & Dish soap.

Figured I'd comment on this again so other folks can see the question. Anyone else here ever been sprayed by a skunk?

What Really Works to Get Rid of Skunk Odor​

What has been proven to work, according to a variety of sources, is a home concoction developed by Paul Krebaum and published Chemical & Engineering News back in 1993:

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid detergent

Mix in a large, open container and use immediately. According to the Statewide IPM Program, Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of California, it can be safely used on people, pets, clothing, and furniture.

Warning​

The mix cannot be covered or stored because it can explode a closed container. To get rid of the leftover solution, dilute it heavily with water, and pour down the drain.

https://www.thespruce.com/getting-rid-of-skunk-odor-2656337

I nearly ran over a skunk with my tractor, a few years ago. He "doused" the tractor bucket with a full load of his "perfume"....and it stunk so bad that I went back to the house and washed the tractor off with the garden hose, before I put it back in the shed. However, the next day when I went to the shed, the smell was awful as soon as I opened the door. I wound up mixing a bunch of soap and bleach into my pressure sprayer, and soaked the tractor with that, and let it set outdoors the rest of the day.....and left the windows open in the shed overnight, and that finally got rid of the stink.

Out here, in this rural area, it's not unusual to drive over/near a skunk that has become "roadkill". Invariably, the stink enters the car/truck, and we have to open the windows and turn on the fan for a 1/2 mile, or so, to get the odor out of the vehicle.

I nearly ran over a skunk with my tractor, a few years ago. He "doused" the tractor bucket with a full load of his "perfume"....and it stunk so bad that I went back to the house and washed the tractor off with the garden hose, before I put it back in the shed. However, the next day when I went to the shed, the smell was awful as soon as I opened the door. I wound up mixing a bunch of soap and bleach into my pressure sprayer, and soaked the tractor with that, and let it set outdoors the rest of the day.....and left the windows open in the shed overnight, and that finally got rid of the stink.

Out here, in this rural area, it's not unusual to drive over/near a skunk that has become "roadkill". Invariably, the stink enters the car/truck, and we have to open the windows and turn on the fan for a 1/2 mile, or so, to get the odor out of the vehicle.
It's a hell of a task deodorizing anything that's been skunked, including vehicles. Do you know anyone who's been skunked?

Yes. Twice. I grew up on a farm. We had chickens and occasionally a skunk would raid the henhouse at night leaving several dead chickens. My dad encouraged me to kill any skunk I found. I shot one and for some reason decided to bring my trophy home to show off (I was twelve). I threw it over the fence and when it hit the ground, an explosive squirt of yellow hit me in the face. Boy does that stuff burn the eyes! It also stinks!

As a teen, I had my own car and was joyriding one evening with my buddies on rural roads. I accidentally hit a skunk but it was only badly injured. I decided to dispatch it with a stomp to the head. Apparently, I miscalculated and stomped his abdomen and got squirted again! The guys insisted I ride on the fender of my own car as each was dropped off at his home. I wasn't very popular at school for a while.

Considering where I grew up, it's amazing that I was never sprayed. I saw skunks frequently while walking in the woods and It was common to smell the critters around the house as they made their way to check out our chicken pen. My poor boyhood mutt never learned not to mess with them. The tomato juice bath was the kid wisdom fix for stinky dogs so that was what Cubby endured after each encounter.

Uggghhh, that smell is horrendous. Never have been sprayed but have been near one because of the smell. Tomato juice is a good bath, I hear.
Actually, from a distance . . . I mean far far away . . . it smells like the great outdoors. Guess it's all in the association.
Many people complain about the smell of low tide but to me it means home in hollow waves across the reef.

I've been skunked. I was 7, or around there, and came across one while playing around the hay barn late in the evening. Mom washed me down on the back porch with a scrub brush and some home made tomato sauce, and I had to sit naked and freezing, covered with sauce, for like 10 minutes or so before she rinsed me off with the garden hose. brrr!

You can bet I stayed more aware of my surroundings after that experience.

Yes. Twice. I grew up on a farm. We had chickens and occasionally a skunk would raid the henhouse at night leaving several dead chickens. My dad encouraged me to kill any skunk I found. I shot one and for some reason decided to bring my trophy home to show off (I was twelve). I threw it over the fence and when it hit the ground, an explosive squirt of yellow hit me in the face. Boy does that stuff burn the eyes! It also stinks!

As a teen, I had my own car and was joyriding one evening with my buddies on rural roads. I accidentally hit a skunk but it was only badly injured. I decided to dispatch it with a stomp to the head. Apparently, I miscalculated and stomped his abdomen and got squirted again! The guys insisted I ride on the fender of my own car as each was dropped off at his home. I wasn't very popular at school for a while.
I remember seeing a while back that you mentioned on a post you got skunked twice. I'm sure your dad must have been thrilled you took his advice in the chicken coop. You use tomato juice to wash off?

Considering where I grew up, it's amazing that I was never sprayed. I saw skunks frequently while walking in the woods and It was common to smell the critters around the house as they made their way to check out our chicken pen. My poor boyhood mutt never learned not to mess with them. The tomato juice bath was the kid wisdom fix for stinky dogs so that was what Cubby endured after each encounter.
Tomato juice seems to be the classic fix, though I heard it doesn't help much.

Actually, from a distance . . . I mean far far away . . . it smells like the great outdoors. Guess it's all in the association.
Many people complain about the smell of low tide but to me it means home in hollow waves across the reef.
I agree. I love the smell of skunk from afar. Haven't been "lucky" enough to smell it up close, let alone get sprayed.

I've been skunked. I was 7, or around there, and came across one while playing around the hay barn late in the evening. Mom washed me down on the back porch with a scrub brush and some home made tomato sauce, and I had to sit naked and freezing, covered with sauce, for like 10 minutes or so before she rinsed me off with the garden hose. brrr!

You can bet I stayed more aware of my surroundings after that experience.
I'm sure your mom was thrilled. How many scrubbings until you didn't smell like skunk?

I'm sure your mom was thrilled. How many scrubbings until you didn't smell like skunk?
My presence in the house was well tolerated after I had a bubble bath that evening. Well, I don't remember anyone holding their nose after that but maybe they were sacrificing their senses for the sake of my 7 y/o sensitivities. Or maybe they held their breath every time I walked past.

Probably the key thing is that it wasn't a direct hit. The stinker was a good 7 or 8 feet away and I instinctively started running soon as I saw its tail get all bushed out, like an angry cat will do.

I thought I had posted my experience somewhere here but I will tell it again.....We lived on a small ranch in montana. Mom wanted a skunk for a pet, some people had them back then. So out us boys went looking for a small skunk to take to the vet and have descented. I thought why waste the time waiting until they grow up, lets catch a big one. So I did. Had it in a box on top of the station wagon ready to go to the vets. I was teasing it, jump up yell boo and jump down. Do it again. Jump up and yell boo and jump down. Do it again, only this time I miss timed it and the skunk hit me square in the face. That was the most awfull tasting stuff I have ever had. Mom made me strip down in the yard and scrub down with tomato juice, burn my clothes and I lived in the barn for two weeks while the smell dissapated.

I thought I had posted my experience somewhere here but I will tell it again.....We lived on a small ranch in montana. Mom wanted a skunk for a pet, some people had them back then. So out us boys went looking for a small skunk to take to the vet and have descented. I thought why waste the time waiting until they grow up, lets catch a big one. So I did. Had it in a box on top of the station wagon ready to go to the vets. I was teasing it, jump up yell boo and jump down. Do it again. Jump up and yell boo and jump down. Do it again, only this time I miss timed it and the skunk hit me square in the face. That was the most awfull tasting stuff I have ever had. Mom made me strip down in the yard and scrub down with tomato juice, burn my clothes and I lived in the barn for two weeks while the smell dissapated.
Wow, two weeks? You must have really gotten blasted.

Back