SSI, Medicaid and Medicare...do I have to sign up?

If you will be 65 in June, you should have applied the beginning of March - 3 months BEFORE the month of your birthday. Apply now, online or call your local office.
Just as a clue, it is now April 20th, and I turn 65 June 9th. That is PLENTY of time to address this issue and then file if need be. Thanks for the wit and input anyways. Just saying.

Hi. I am in the same circumstance as you. I am getting SSI for a long time now and medicaid. I, too, have been wondering about Medicare so thanks for starting this thread. I will be 65 in Oct. I thought I could just stay on Medicaid and not be bothered by Medicare. I've been getting so much mail about it from insurance companies. I don't even know if I am eligible for Medicare. I'll follow this thread, though. Best wishes to you!
Thanks Ruthanne...from what I am getting from everyone, I think I am required to sign up, a necessity for 65 year olds. But as to whether my pharmacies or doctors or whatever, will use one or the other will be up to them or the gubmint. It will be what someone called Medicare/Medicaid instead of just Medicare part A&B.

I am like you, wishing to know for sure if someone had ever been in the same exact situation and what they did going through the hoops. Something like that for input is gold of course and a timesaver and saves us from the normal confusion associated with ANY government hookup.

If you find a windfall of info, post it back here please, and thank you. Good luck back.

I didn't know I'd be automatically signed up. I just don't understand why. Thanks 😊
When it comes to why, its simply the law and how it is arranged. We already know that legislature does not need a reason why for designing law. They say it is to serve us better, yet we know it is 90% of the time mostly to serve them or the government better. I suppose it is the law because if not, then there would not be enough participants to make it a volume valid or worthy program, as people would not be as inclined to participate. Making the law insures that there is enough people participating to make the rolls large enough to make it a valid insurance plan.

Sometimes you can get good and accurate information from the government. But I would also try to confirm that by approaching a non-profit organization that works to advocate for the elderly.

You might also have some success in contacting the office of your Congressman. But first, you need to research whether that official tends to support programs for the elderly, or fight against them. So, you have the one Congressmen and the two Senators.

You might also have some success contacting your state representatives. Even though you are talking about federal programs, some aide there might take time with you to help you resolve your questions.

Politicians often publish their success stories in helping constituents. So, they often have a direct motivation to help you, in order to help themselves.

You might also try some of the major charities, like Catholic Community Services, the Salvation Army and others.

Best of luck to you, take care...
Probably sound advice but so very complicated and not timely. Looking for people with actual experience in this situation. thank you anyways.

I found this on AARP. It seems you will be expected to apply for Medicare. But it seems to me I automatically got my Medicare card from the government. :unsure: I was already on Social Security at the time. But don't wait...I suggest you contact SSA immediately. Just to verify...ask the same question you asked us and if you must be on both for sure, find out how to apply.
https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-qa-tool/medicaid-medicare-eligibility/
"One Eyed Diva" gets the "Golden Goose Award" for best answer!!!
This link was as good an answer to the question as can be found! Hallelujah and a dozen "Atta Girl"s...LOL

This article stated:
  1. AARP MEDICARE QUESTION AND ANSWER TOOL

"I have been receiving health care through Medicaid.

Will I lose this coverage when I become eligible for Medicare?"

"You will not lose Medicaid eligibility just because you become entitled to Medicare. As long as your income falls under the limits for Medicaid eligibility in your state, you will receive both types of coverage. More than 8 million people have both Medicare and Medicaid.

In this situation, Medicare becomes your primary insurance and settles your medical bills first; and Medicaid become secondary, paying for services that Medicare doesn’t cover and also paying most of your out-of-pocket expenses in Medicare (premiums, deductibles and copays)."

When you become eligible for Medicare, you must begin receiving your prescription drug coverage from Medicare’s Part D drug program, not from Medicaid. You will automatically qualify for the federal Extra Help program, which enables you to receive Part D drug coverage without paying premiums or deductibles and paying only low copays for your drugs.

But to get this coverage, you still have to choose a Part D drug plan and enroll in it.

o ensure that you pick a plan that gives you maximum coverage at the lowest cost, you may want to contact your state health insurance assistance program (SHIP), which provides personal help from trained counselors on all Medicare and Medicaid issues — free of charge. To find the main toll-free number of your SHIP (which goes by different names in some states), go to www.shiptacenter.org and select your state.

For more information on the Extra Help program, see section 2 of AARP’s consumer guide to the Part D program. "

Yes, start now... so you can be thoroughly confused by October! While that is not entirely a joke, you should start getting a feel for what you want, compared to what you can get.

If your partner has you on family or two singles, theoretically dropping to one single coverage should reduce cost.
Thank you for the advice! (y)

"One Eyed Diva" gets the "Golden Goose Award" for best answer!!!
This link was as good an answer to the question as can be found! Hallelujah and a dozen "Atta Girl"s...LOL

This article stated:
  1. AARP MEDICARE QUESTION AND ANSWER TOOL

"I have been receiving health care through Medicaid.

Will I lose this coverage when I become eligible for Medicare?"

"You will not lose Medicaid eligibility just because you become entitled to Medicare. As long as your income falls under the limits for Medicaid eligibility in your state, you will receive both types of coverage. More than 8 million people have both Medicare and Medicaid.

In this situation, Medicare becomes your primary insurance and settles your medical bills first; and Medicaid become secondary, paying for services that Medicare doesn’t cover and also paying most of your out-of-pocket expenses in Medicare (premiums, deductibles and copays)."

When you become eligible for Medicare, you must begin receiving your prescription drug coverage from Medicare’s Part D drug program, not from Medicaid. You will automatically qualify for the federal Extra Help program, which enables you to receive Part D drug coverage without paying premiums or deductibles and paying only low copays for your drugs.

But to get this coverage, you still have to choose a Part D drug plan and enroll in it.

o ensure that you pick a plan that gives you maximum coverage at the lowest cost, you may want to contact your state health insurance assistance program (SHIP), which provides personal help from trained counselors on all Medicare and Medicaid issues — free of charge. To find the main toll-free number of your SHIP (which goes by different names in some states), go to www.shiptacenter.org and select your state.

For more information on the Extra Help program, see section 2 of AARP’s consumer guide to the Part D program. "
I'm so glad I could provide helpful information! As we say Alhamdullilah! I sometimes say Hallelujah too. :D

Back