St. Patrick's Day Celebration

literature-saint_patrick-st_patrick-st_patrick_s_day-st_patricks_day-st_patricks_day-bwhn1552_low.jpg

St. Patrick trivia:

Patrick was not Irish - he was actually British. He was kidnapped as a young man and taken to Ireland and sold as a slave. He escaped and returned to Britain. He was ordained and went back to Ireland to convert the pagans to Christianity.

What does March 17th have to do with Patrick? Patrick's day of birth is unknown, but he did die on March 17 in 460, 461 or 462 AD (depending on which source one consults). He was buried at Downpatrick in County Down in Northern Ireland.

Traditionally, blue was the color associated with St. Patrick, but over the ages the color of shamrocks (which Patrick used to demonstrate the meaning of the Trinity) superseded the old observances. Their green color was used in increasing frequency until blue is no longer thought of in relation to the Celtic saint.

Corned beef and cabbage was not originally an Irish dish. Many Irish and Jews were poor immigrants living in New York City in the late 19th Century. Corned beef was mainly a Jewish dish, and inexpensive in those days. The Irish readily adopted it and has become very much associated with their culture.

St. Patrick's Day did not become an official observance in Ireland until 1903.

The water of the Chicago River is traditionally tinted green on March 17th by adding 40 pounds of harmless green dye.

The first St. Patrick's Day observance in America was held in Boston in 1737.

Saint Patric stained glass.jpg

Last edited:
OK....Here I go....My first hame is Patricia....My mom and dad were not Irish but they wanted my name Patricia....I was born in Holy Name Hospital in Teaneck, NJ on St. Partick's Day....We don't live in that area
anymore...But lived half of my life in that area....
I'm sad that we cannot go to a restaurant today...I talked to my kids and they want us to stay home...They live many States away....It's just Me and Hubby....My husband was looking forward to have a nice dinner
in a very nice Restaurant...He Cancelled...It's fine....We are both OK....I'm still here at 75 years old...
So I'm old, but still walking and talking....So, people, we survive, hopefully another twitch in our life...
Let's all be well and safe....This forum gives me something to do when there is not much to do....
Love,
Pat...…...
Oh and I have a person here that we went to school with....Very strange to find someone many years ago
when we were Teens....I also have another person from another forum....She is a lovely person....
Hello everyone......Stay Safe at this horrible time in our life.....♥♥♥♥♥

I understand why they are doing this but I don't think I would enjoy an old parade.
precisely... it's like the formula 1 motor racing.. the first race of the season was due to be run in Australia last week...they cancelled it, and possibly the rest of the season will be cancelled in all locations throughout the world ... ( disappointing but fair enough)...

..but what use was there of them showing the race from 2019?... ridiculous, no-one was interested in seeing a 2 hour race again where they knew the outcome...

They should have replaced it on tv with another programme completely

OK....Here I go....My first hame is Patricia....My mom and dad were not Irish but they wanted my name Patricia....I was born in Holy Name Hospital in Teaneck, NJ on St. Partick's Day....We don't live in that area
anymore...But lived half of my life in that area....
I'm sad that we cannot go to a restaurant today...I talked to my kids and they want us to stay home...They live many States away....It's just Me and Hubby....My husband was looking forward to have a nice dinner
in a very nice Restaurant...He Cancelled...It's fine....We are both OK....I'm still here at 75 years old...
So I'm old, but still walking and talking....So, people, we survive, hopefully another twitch in our life...
Let's all be well and safe....This forum gives me something to do when there is not much to do....
Love,
Pat...…...
Oh and I have a person here that we went to school with....Very strange to find someone many years ago
when we were Teens....I also have another person from another forum....She is a lovely person....
Hello everyone......Stay Safe at this horrible time in our life.....♥♥♥♥♥
Happy Birthday Pat and many more. I was surprised and happy to find you also.

If your Birthday celebration is ever cancelled, you can always dig out the old pictures and celebrate last year's Birthday!;)
Funny!!! My daughter just texted from her face book, that I don't do....So she had everyone I have known from years ago to
send me a birthday surprise....Some I haven't seen since my daughter has been out of school, college and is married and
had to teen kids....I was crying the people even remembered me....I did remember some....I cry easily....
OK, enough of the Birthday....Hopefully I have another one next year.....LOL!!!!!!!

Back