Steam irons for clothes?

chic

SF VIP
I had a GE steam iron for decades that bit the dust last year. I bought an iron at Walgreens last summer because I iron summer clothes so frequently, but it was just junk. It didn't get hot, there was NO steam coming out and the cord was too short to reach from the wall socket to the ironing board. A family member gifted me a Proctor Silex iron which started sputtering and spewing water all over the ironing board while nearly scorching my clothes in the process. I'm in the market for a new iron, but have read many reviews and they all sound problematic and not worth the money, if they just break down after 3 months of use. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a basic. easy to use iron?

@chic .. A good old-fashioned solution I've used is wetting a large cotton dishtowel and laying it on the fabric and ironing it that way, and my iron is a steam iron that doesn't work either.
I use that method for putting in hems, and securing patches to clothing (jeans).

Yes don't use tap water. It will sputter and eventually block the steam vents. Mine is a Norelco. I bought it for $30 back in the 1990s, top of the line. I dropped it a couple times and pieces broke off, but I still use it today. Best iron, nice coating on the surface so it won't stick, makes a lot of steam and gets as hot as I want. Only thing it doesn't do is turn itself off, so I have to make sure I unplug it when I leave the room since I am absent minded.:rolleyes:

@chic .. A good old-fashioned solution I've used is wetting a large cotton dishtowel and laying it on the fabric and ironing it that way, and my iron is a steam iron that doesn't work either.
I use that method for putting in hems, and securing patches to clothing (jeans).
Me too, been doing that with a damp tea-towel since I was a youngster ... I've had steam generator irons and all sorts, but at the end of it all.. the Philips Azure steam iron I've had for the last couple of years does the job as well as any... and yes..always use de-ionised water

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-GC...ips+azur+iron&qid=1565800960&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Me too, been doing that with a damp tea-towel since I was a youngster ... I've had steam generator irons and all sorts, but at the end of it all.. the Philips Azure steam iron I've had for the last couple of years does the job as well as any... and yes..always use de-ionised water

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-GC...ips+azur+iron&qid=1565800960&s=gateway&sr=8-1

60 pounds would be a lot in American money, Holly. I wouldn't mind spending $40.00 0r $50.00 for an iron, since it's an investment. Wearing clothes straight out of the dryer won't work for me, I'm afraid. I'd be all wrinkled. 😧

I still have my Grandmothers steam iron and the steam part gave up years ago. I love the iron so much I just fill a spray bottle with some water and lightly spray the area I want ironed. If you want to get fancy you can add a bit of rose water or lavender to the spray bottle.

@chic

Sorry you've had such problems with irons. Since I stopped working i don't do much ironing, but for years I had a GE, and for past 10 yrs +/- l've has a Procter Silex (less than $25)...no problems.

I. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a basic. easy to use iron?

My wife does a lot of sewing....purses, kids clothes, even house drapes....she has a hobby room filled with sewing stuff, Bernina sewing machine, Bernina Serger, etc., etc. She has gone through a lot of irons over the years. A few years ago, she bought a Rowenta, and now has 3 of them....all still working. She gets them from Kohl's...which with all her discounts and coupons....brings the price down to less than Walmart would charge.. Also, she uses only Distilled Water in them....no calcium, etc., buildup to clog the steam holes.

My wife does a lot of sewing....purses, kids clothes, even house drapes....she has a hobby room filled with sewing stuff, Bernina sewing machine, Bernina Serger, etc., etc. She has gone through a lot of irons over the years. A few years ago, she bought a Rowenta, and now has 3 of them....all still working. She gets them from Kohl's...which with all her discounts and coupons....brings the price down to less than Walmart would charge.. Also, she uses only Distilled Water in them....no calcium, etc., buildup to clog the steam holes.

Awesome. There's a Kohl's store nearby. I think I'll try that. Hugs and thanks.

iu

My mom used to wash clothes on Monday and Tuesday was ironing day. She used to dampen line dried clothing first, then roll them up and put them back in the laundry basket before ironing. She ironed everything. Claimed it made everything smell good and also made them germ free. We even had a mangle iron in the house, but I had never seen it used.

I’m with Trade also. There aren’t many clothes I have that need ironing but occasionally I’ll iron a few things including table cloths.

My iron spirts steam out and I really like it. It’s got plenty of different settings but I’m not at home so can’t tell you. It might but a proctor silex or something.

A spray bottle works well. I use distilled water in my iron. Our hard water corrodes the holes for steam and makes a mess of whatever I’m ironing.

My mom used to wash clothes on Monday and Tuesday was ironing day. She used to dampen line dried clothing first, then roll them up and put them back in the laundry basket before ironing. She ironed everything. Claimed it made everything smell good and also made them germ free. We even had a mangle iron in the house, but I had never seen it used.
Actually this is true that ironing kills bacteria and fungus and so does drying clothes on the line in the sun. It sterilizes the fabric and smells fabulous.
There’s nothing like freshly hung sheets on the line that have been ironed but I’d never do it. 😏🤫

Back