Steps......Have you moved to avoid climbing steps to your residence?

Have you moved from your residence because there were steps that you must navigate each day going to and from?

Many of us has steps, whether outside where you may have three steps, more or less, to get to the 1st floor, then possibly steps down to the basement, then perhaps steps to the second floor bedrooms and living space.

Are they concerning to you? Are you at an age where you can safely do it now, but concerned that down the road you may not be able to and want to get out now.

Many of my friends have that exact problem. Many are historic properties where they always have steps. Some have put in stair climbers, one has put in an elevators but most have done nothing and feel that they will navigate it as long as they can. when they can't, they can't. Others have the attitude that the steps are really thigh masters and consider them a major source of exercise. They climb the steps routinely whether they need to or not to maintain health and balance.\\

What's your thoughts??

Eh, a little anecdote: When I was talking about adding on to the one-room cabin I bought in 1981, my late aunt -- who was well into her 70s at the time -- said something like: "Brucie, if you do be sure to have one bedroom downstairs, because when you get as old as I am you'll really appreciate it."

I was in my early 30s at the time and the statement didn't mean much to me at that age, but I never forgot it. Now, looking at 69 this summer, I get it. :( And I didn't do it -- although I can sleep downstairs if I have to.

I have lived in the same place for going on 7 years. The steps did not used to be a problem to me but are becoming one because I have knee and hip problems. Been going to physical therapy but still have the pain regardless. I am thinking of moving to a building with an elevator. I don't have a ton of steps to go up but enough to make me hurt. I am continuing to stay here because there is affordable garage parking and the place where I may move does not have garage parking and isn't in as good a neighborhood. Can't afford to move anywhere else ATM.

I'm going full cycle in my living quarters. It's a 2 story home with a basement. Typical of homes here in New England that were built during the 1920's. When I first arrived here, directly from the hoplital, I couldn't climb any of the stairs but by the time I reached 4 or 5, I could begin to navigate them. Now, at 85, I'm starting to slip back to my earliest days, thereby, the "full cycle". Doesn't sound like anyone else has spent a lifetime in the home where they were born. It wasn't that uncommon in generations past.

My wife and I live on the first floor and our daughter's family live upstairs. Same arrangement when I was a child only my folks and I lived up and my grandparents down. I can still navigate the stairs with some difficulty but my SIL said that he'll build a ramp up to the back deck when the time arrives.

Considering my age, I may go before it's needed. i have no wish to ever leave this place and on a side note, as someone mentioned a small lawn. We have about 2 acres and as I can still manage to get on and off the lawntractor, I do my share of mowing during the summer months. :) One other note - without the kids and grandkids i have to confess that it would be more difficult for both my wife and I to live and maintain this place although I did quite well 'til my late 70's.

Stairs and I have never been good friends because since early childhood I've had the tendency to fall more than most people. Guess it's because I'm easily distracted and often don't watch where I'm going. In any event, when looking to buy a house 35 years ago, we only considered single story homes. The house has one step up to enter it and a second step up from the foyer to the main part of the house (which is largely built on a subfloor with a crawlspace underneath. Some additions we've made are a single step down (master bedroom & bath, and office). Over the years I've skidded down those single steps more often than I care to recall, but no serious injuries.

If we move from this home - a big if because my husband wants to stay where we are - it will be to downsize from our overly large home that includes an in-ground pool. I expect it would be somewhere with zero steps.

Sold a house last year ... no stairs .. not an issue in the move. Now I'm in a senior apartment complex on the 3rd floor. Have elevators in several areas of the complex, and one just around the corner from my unit.
That's great, but power has gone out a couple times since my move here last March. So I have found myself (and doggy) going down three (actually four) flights of stairs to go for walks. Go figure!

I bought this newly built house in 2005 hoping it will be my last residence. The builder rep told me that now there is a law that newly built houses have to be "handicap accessible" or something like that. There are no steps from my driveway to my front door, all the door handles are levers, and the hallway is wide enough for a wheelchair. There is a small step down to the back porch, I don't know why that is so. I suppose it would be easy to make a ramp there. I wouldn't want to live in a place with many stories, even if there's an elevator, for reasons of fire and also because of what Bonnie said above, in case of fire and power failures elevators cannot be used.

Part of retirement planning was to buy a ranch style home. No steps & easy access to window cleaning. 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, 2 car garage, stucco exterior & tile roof. Warm dry climate in anticipation of old age arthritis.

Back