Styrofoam in the Microwave

Styrofoam....or more correctly, Polystyrene, has a melting point of not much over 100 degrees. Plus, it is highly flammable, so putting some of this stuff in a microwave or oven, etc., is risky.

But I want to know what makes it spark. I already know the health risks. I mainly use styrofoam to re-warm cat food that been in the fridge. My cat won't eat cold canned food. Two 5 second blasts does it. I just want it slightly above room temperature.

Pfft - I've been putting Styrofoam food containers in the microwave for, oh 30 years or so, and never had a problem unless the food got so hot it melted the Styrofoam. Never had an issue with sparks, so I suspect there was something on/in the container you were heating.

But I want to know what makes it spark. I already know the health risks. I mainly use styrofoam to re-warm cat food that been in the fridge. My cat won't eat cold canned food. Two 5 second blasts does it. I just want it slightly above room temperature.

Is it not also dangerous to your cat? Why not use a plate or bowl?

So you got another cat to replace Adam?

Back