Supplements, anyone?

dseag2

Dallas, TX
So, in my recent retirement I've been doing a lot of research on supplements. My mother's side of the family has a history of longevity. My grandfather lived to 98, although he was bedridden for his last couple of years. My aunt and uncle lived to 90 and 88, respectively. My mother, who is now 89 and has a history of TIAs and cardiac issues is now in the transition phase of hospice but she still made it to 89. I don't want to live a long life if I am not able to enjoy it. I'm a 63 year old male. I go to the gym 5 days awake for strength training, and I'm now taking the following:

-Multivitamin for Men over 55
-Collagen supplement (for joints and skin)
-Magnesium (for arteries and blood pressure)
-Beet Root Juice (to lower blood pressure)
-Turmeric (for heart and joints)
-Vitamin K3 and D2 (for bones)
-Fish Oil (for heart)

Again, we have good genes in our family but I feel great. I have had bursitis in various areas (knees, feet) but it isn't bothering me anymore. My top blood pressure reading has now lowered from over 160 to under 148 (still not great but better).

I know eating healthy is also important. We eat mostly chicken and fish and always with a serving of vegetables. But is anyone else a believer in supplements?

I am also 63. The main staples of my food are low carb whey protein powders, black walnuts, sunflower seeds, super greens powders, Apple cider vinegar, daily vitamin and calcium. In the coming cold months will do some vegetable soups. Sugar and grains are basically gone, wish I knew how bad carbs are for us years ago. And no salt.

I've always believed we are designed to extract nutrients from food that comes from plants, rather than nutrients made in a plant.
When we eat food, our digestive system separates everything which takes time & the vitamins are released over time. I don't think it happens that way with vitamin pills. And our system eliminates excess vitamins.
I suppose vitamin supplements might be useful if one's diet is poor.

My doctor okays that I take a multi vitamin each day and a vitamin C tab. I probably don't eat a healthy diet as I don't cook for a family any more. But I eat what I want and when I want and I am good with that.

I'm 80 and got tired of keeping track of supplements so just gave up. Multivitamins, B complex, vitamin D, vitamin C, one of these, one of those, one of the other. Pfffft. I take my cholesterol and BP meds, an 81mg aspirin and the heck with the rest of them.

I'm religious about staying hydrated, though, and drink a lot of water and a lot of unsweetened iced tea.

@terry123 I do the same with eating...what I want and when I want and probably not very healthy, either. DD and her family rarely eat at home because DD doesn't like to cook. I pretty much just fend for myself and only eat when I'm hungry, not by the clock.

Usually I'll cook for the family when DSIL has a day off because he views "real" food as a treat, and if there are leftovers, it's not unusual for me to eat them for breakfast. In the olden days restaurant food was the treat and only happened rarely...like once a month or less.

I'm 80 and got tired of keeping track of supplements so just gave up. Multivitamins, B complex, vitamin D, vitamin C, one of these, one of those, one of the other. Pfffft. I take my cholesterol and BP meds, an 81mg aspirin and the heck with the rest of them.

I'm religious about staying hydrated, though, and drink a lot of water and a lot of unsweetened iced tea.

@terry123 I do the same with eating...what I want and when I want and probably not very healthy, either. DD and her family rarely eat at home because DD doesn't like to cook. I pretty much just fend for myself and only eat when I'm hungry, not by the clock.

Usually I'll cook for the family when DSIL has a day off because he views "real" food as a treat, and if there are leftovers, it's not unusual for me to eat them for breakfast. In the olden days restaurant food was the treat and only happened rarely...like once a month or less.
Sometimes I will cook me a pan of cornbread and have it with some pinto beans or blackeyed peas and eat for a couple of days. Of course I have to have some turnip greens with it so it is healthy. Then I am done with it for a couple of months. I do have salad with boiled eggs in it a couple of days a week. Maybe I am eating better than I think!

I take a bunch of supplements, my list has some overlap with yours. Not sure they help with much but the supplement companies' bottom lines. I am considering stopping to see if I feel any different.

The one exception is the eye vitamin AREDS2. It's for macular degeneration, which I have. It does seem to me that the degeneration has been arrested since starting the AREDS2. My eye doctor put me on it and agrees it helps. Will stay on that.

I take a bunch of supplements, my list has some overlap with yours. Not sure they help with much but the supplement companies' bottom lines. I am considering stopping to see if I feel any different.

The one exception is the eye vitamin AREDS2. It's for macular degeneration, which I have. It does seem to me that the degeneration has been arrested since starting the AREDS2. My eye doctor put me on it and agrees it helps. Will stay on that.
My P.C. Dr told me to only take a multivitamin since I don't eat right. NO others as you can get immune or overdose on some vitamins.

Also like you I have macular degeneration, & get a shot in the right eye every 5 to 7 weeks. I also take "ocuvite" chewables since I can't swallow the big other pills. My retina Dr. said that is just as good as the big pills.

So, in my recent retirement I've been doing a lot of research on supplements. My mother's side of the family has a history of longevity. My grandfather lived to 98, although he was bedridden for his last couple of years. My aunt and uncle lived to 90 and 88, respectively. My mother, who is now 89 and has a history of TIAs and cardiac issues is now in the transition phase of hospice but she still made it to 89. I don't want to live a long life if I am not able to enjoy it. I'm a 63 year old male. I go to the gym 5 days awake for strength training, and I'm now taking the following:

-Multivitamin for Men over 55
-Collagen supplement (for joints and skin)
-Magnesium (for arteries and blood pressure)
-Beet Root Juice (to lower blood pressure)
-Turmeric (for heart and joints)
-Vitamin K3 and D2 (for bones)
-Fish Oil (for heart)

Again, we have good genes in our family but I feel great. I have had bursitis in various areas (knees, feet) but it isn't bothering me anymore. My top blood pressure reading has now lowered from over 160 to under 148 (still not great but better).

I know eating healthy is also important. We eat mostly chicken and fish and always with a serving of vegetables. But is anyone else a believer in supplements?
I am not giving you advice, but I have to ask, did your doctor recommend all those vitamins. Seems a lot to me. I have a good diet and take extra Vitamin D since I am a little concerned about skin cancer and having to cover up in the sun.

My mother's side of the family has a history of longevity. My grandfather lived to 98, although he was bedridden for his last couple of years. My aunt and uncle lived to 90 and 88, respectively. My mother, who is now 89
Interesting.

My great grandfather lived to 102, only died after falling from a tree, some say alcohol was involved. That was his first visit to a doctor or hospital in his life. My grandfathers lived to 99 and 95 with limited medical attention and I am sure no supplements or planned exercise. My mother lived to 77, my father 83 and both had good medical attention, took vitamins and exercised regularly. Not sure what to take from my family history, but things seem to be headed in the wrong direction.

Horace Rumpole : I've always said that exercise is a short cut to the cemetery.

I also have a "risk" for macular degeneration....my old Dad had it. A few years ago, I was having some "floaters" in my eyes, and that, combined with the MD risk, caused my eye doctor to recommend a 6 mg. Lutein pill and fish oil capsule. I've been taking them since, plus a daily multivitamin, and within a few month the floaters went away, and my annual eye exams show just minor changes.

I haven't been taking any supplements except a B-12 and Biotin(for hair and nails). But I had been feeling lethargic lately and have some important things to accomplish on a deadline.

So 2 days ago I took a Vitamin B Complex and it was like I'd taken Prozac but had an immediate high. I was seriously feeling jazzed and not exactly safe on the highway. This is day 3 and I'm now feeling normal on it. I have enough energy but not too much.
`

I also have macular degeneration, I take the supplement for it, but I'd like to know more about the shots too.

I take fish oil, multi vitamin, magnesium...this helps me with sleep and cramps in muscles .....I'm thinking of starting the collagen as I have a lot of pain in joints.

Most of my diet consists of salads that consist of spinach, kale, peppers, onions, mushrooms, cauliflower, tomatoes, curry powder, pepper, olive oil, and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. I will have the salad with rice or quinoa and sometimes a bit of chicken or fish. With this I take Vitamin D3, C, and zinc along with vitamin B if I do not eat much meat. I also eat oatmeal with fresh ginger slices, chia, walnuts, and fruit with 1/2 tsp of black cumin powder a few times a day. Also drink about 16 oz of juice made from carrots, beet, apple, celery and fresh ginger each day. I go through 1 1/2 pounds of ginger root per week! The black powder (cumin) actually provides me my needed iron!

I have prostate cancer and this diet actually brought my PSA levels down the first year! But then they started creeping up slowly for 3 years so I am getting proton beam therapy soon. What I noticed while on this diet was I used far less ibuprofen - less than 1/5 of what I previously used.

I bet you will actually feel different. The mind is powerful; if you think something helps, it probably will & if you stop, you'll probably feel different.

Most of my diet consists of salads that consist of spinach, kale, peppers, onions, mushrooms, cauliflower, tomatoes, curry powder, pepper, olive oil, and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. I will have the salad with rice or quinoa and sometimes a bit of chicken or fish. With this I take Vitamin D3, C, and zinc along with vitamin B if I do not eat much meat. I also eat oatmeal with fresh ginger slices, chia, walnuts, and fruit with 1/2 tsp of black cumin powder a few times a day. Also drink about 16 oz of juice made from carrots, beet, apple, celery and fresh ginger each day. I go through 1 1/2 pounds of ginger root per week! The black powder (cumin) actually provides me my needed iron!

I have prostate cancer and this diet actually brought my PSA levels down the first year! But then they started creeping up slowly for 3 years so I am getting proton beam therapy soon. What I noticed while on this diet was I used far less ibuprofen - less than 1/5 of what I previously used.
^^^^ Superior to any vitamin pill. :)

I just take Centrum Silver. My doctor told me that *women* should cut the pill in half and take a half-pill every 12 hours. He said it is more bio-available for women that way. Don't know why.

Actually, it's the foods that don't require cooking that are the healthiest.
Possibly overall. But after being raw for 10 11 months in 2015 I developed diverticulitis. I had 3 attacks in the middle of this 11 month period. It wasnt until after I stopped eating raw and, uicing did I realize it was raw that caused the diverticulitis. Im doing great now. I do eat raw but keep it may be one item a day instead of making it a meal all week long. I love raw vegetables. I wish I could eat raw all the time. But I cant.

Possibly overall. But after being raw for 10 11 months in 2015 I developed diverticulitis. I had 3 attacks in the middle of this 11 month period. It wasnt until after I stopped eating raw and, uicing did I realize it was raw that caused the diverticulitis. Im doing great now. I do eat raw but keep it may be one item a day instead of making it a meal all week long. I love raw vegetables. I wish I could eat raw all the time. But I cant.
I have also cut back on raw veggies, particularly broccoli and cauliflower. Never gave it a name, but I know eating too much can give me digestive issues. I still eat a lot of raw lettuce and some other veggies, gut seems happier.

I eat a healthy diet (high protein low carbs and starches, grass fed/organic/non-GMO where possible) and take a bunch of supplements which my doctor helps me monitor.

Fish Oil 1000 mg. 300 mg omega 3s. Heart Health

Red Yeast rice 600 mg.

Quercetin Berberine 500 mg. Cardiovascular and gastrointestinal function. Immune system. Glucose metabolism. Weight management

Immortalitea Jiaogulan Leaf 300 mg. Antioxidant
D3 100 mcg (3,000 iu) Stong bones. Immune Health

Turmeric Curcumin 500 mg.

Super Antioxidant. Green Tea. Milk thistle. Turmeric. Quercetin. Bromelian. Rosemary. Grape Seed. Ginkgo Biloba. Ginger root. Hawthorn. Bilberry. Cranberry powder.

CoQ10. 100 mg. Heart health

Zyrtec generic

Low Dose aspirin

Magnesium. muscle and nerve function support.
and energy production. Targets high blood pressure, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis.

Colon Clenz. Cascara Sagrada. Senna Chinese Rhubarb. Black Walnut. Aloe Vera. Oregon Grape root. Yellow dock. Valerian. Slippery Elm. Bacillus coagulans.

That sounds very uncomfortable... My eye doctor tells me that if mine starts getting worse I may have to get the shots also.

What are they like?
Mine is wet M.D. Been getting them now for 7 years. They numb the eye real good then put that thing to hold the eye open & put in some betadine drops then in goes the shot. Only takes about 3 seconds. You have to look straight back at the girl's fingers.

When it was first found my eyesight was 20/80 in my right eye got a shot every week for 4 weeks, then tapered off to once a month. Now with new injection stuff, I can go 5 to 7 weeks between shots. Did bring my eyesight in the right eye back to 20/25

I've been to two different Retna Drs & both are very good at the injections.

Back