Supreme Court overturning Roe v Wade?

Sunny

SF VIP
Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows - POLITICO

This hasn't happened yet, but the Supreme Court seems to be indicating that that is what they are planning. It sounds to me like this would end Federal protection of abortion rights, but each state would have to vote (probably continuously) on whether it is legal. The predictable result would be that women seeking abortion would have to travel to the states where it is still legal. This would mainly affect those who are too poor to travel.

Do you think this will ever happen, or will some of the justices change their minds?

"The conclusion I have come to is that old, white men hate women."

Some, but not me. I think that this is terrible, and the unforeseen consequences are going to fierce. I do not want my daughter or granddaughter to be subjected to this nonsense. We may well see the flight of well-educated, productive people out of states that enact this to live in states that do not buy into this.

I once told a college professor that while I supported CHOICE, my own choice would be to not have an abortion, Not because I was against it, but MY choice would be to either keep the child, or I would choose to put it up for adoption. She argued that I was not really pro choice because I would not choose to have one.
Isn't that what CHOICE is all about? I shook my head so hard, I think she heard the rocks rattling from across the room

"The conclusion I have come to is that old, white men hate women."

Some, but not me. I think that this is terrible, and the unforeseen consequences are going to fierce. I do not want my daughter or granddaughter to be subjected to this nonsense. We may well see the flight of well-educated, productive people out of states that enact this to live in states that do not buy into this.
Totally agree, I think the consequences will really show up in the voting booth. The majority do not want this.

I once told a college professor that while I supported CHOICE, my own choice would be to not have an abortion, Not because I was against it, but MY choice would be to either keep the child, or I would choose to put it up for adoption. She argued hat I was not really pro choice because I would not choose to have one.
Isn't that what CHOICE is all about? I shook my head so hard, I think she heard the rocks rattling from across the room
You were correct Marie. That’s exactly what pro choice is about.

I once told a college professor that while I supported CHOICE, my own choice would be to not have an abortion, Not because I was against it, but MY choice would be to either keep the child, or I would choose to put it up for adoption. She argued hat I was not really pro choice because I would not choose to have one.
Being pro-choice means supporting the right to choose an abortion. I know many men who are pro choice. Obviously none could personally have an abortion.

Roe v Wade or not, women of financial means will ALWAYS have access to safe abortions, because they can travel to another state or country to obtain them.

I think individual states will weigh in and many will keep the abortion laws as they are. It's the original ruling they are contesting.

Abortion is the oopsie solution for middle to upper class white girls.
It's not just middle to upper class white girls who get abortions.

I quoted from this article. Click the link for more (may be behind a paywall)
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/12/14/upshot/who-gets-abortions-in-america.html

Who Gets Abortions in America?​

By Margot Sanger-Katz, Claire Cain Miller and Quoctrung Bui Dec. 14, 2021

(Note: We are republishing this in light of a leaked draft opinion in which the Supreme Court privately voted to strike down Roe v. Wade, obtained by Politico and published Monday night. The data is the most recent available.)

"The portrait of abortion in the United States has changed with society. Today, teenagers are having far fewer abortions, and abortion patients are most likely to already be mothers. Although there’s a lot of debate over gestational cutoffs, nearly half of abortions happen in the first six weeks of pregnancy, and nearly all in the first trimester.

The typical patient, in addition to having children, is poor; is unmarried and in her late 20s; has some college education; and is very early in pregnancy. But in the reproductive lives of women (and transgender and nonbinary people who can become pregnant) across America, abortion is not uncommon. The latest estimate, from the Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive health research group that supports abortion rights, found that 25 percent of women will have an abortion by the end of their childbearing years.

“There isn’t one monolith demographic who get abortions,” Ushma Upadhyay, a professor with Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health at the University of California, San Francisco, said. “The same people who become pregnant and give birth are the same people who have abortions at different points in their lives."

As heated as the issue has become in recent years, the abortion rate, calculated among women ages 15 to 44, has been falling. Americans are having half as many abortions as 30 years ago. Researchers say a variety of factors — including better contraceptive use and less sex among teenagers — is leading to fewer unintended pregnancies.

The data offers a broad outline of abortion in the United States today — and who may be most affected if Roe v. Wade is diminished or overturned by the Supreme Court."

(I didn't bother to copy and paste all the data but it's in the article.)

This Roe v Wade debate confuses me a bit. Maybe I am naive but it seems to me a Supreme Court decision, or any court decision should be based on the law. In this case was the original decision constitutionally based or not. That is the Supreme Court's job. Seems to me it should not have anything to do with their opinions on the rightful or wrongfulness of abortion...

I absolutely support a woman's right to choose, it only seems right to me. It is clear that we do not have a consensus in the US as to the rightful or wrongfulness of abortion, which makes it the perfect issue for the government not to be involved with. Don't force anyone to abort, and don't restrict anyone who does...

I am very Thankful that I never was in the spot to decide whether or not to have an abortion. It does remind me though of a friend of mine whose husband lost his life in a fire. He had been a fireman for years. They had a daughter born with a condition. She couldn't walk or talk and many other things. Before they could officially announce her husband had died they had to give her an exam. They found out she was pregnant and she as shocked because her and her husband decided never to have more children in case they would have the same condition as the first child. I sat holding her hand and crying while we waited for the results of if the baby would have the same problem. Thankfully the results showed the baby wouldn't have the same problem. If it did I would have supported any choice she made.

This Roe v Wade debate confuses me a bit. Maybe I am naive but it seems to me a Supreme Court decision, or any court decision should be based on the law. In this case was the original decision constitutionally based or not. That is the Supreme Court's job. Seems to me it should not have anything to do with their opinions on the rightful or wrongfulness of abortion...

I absolutely support a woman's right to choose, it only seems right to me. It is clear that we do not have a consensus in the US as to the rightful or wrongfulness of abortion, which makes it the perfect issue for the government not to be involved with. Don't force anyone to abort, and don't restrict anyone who does...
Sounds to me like the decision is just whether or not to give each state the power to create their own laws. IOW, they'll decide whether it's a constitutional right, and remain under federal protection, or if it should be a state-level concern.

Back