Swearing In Commercials

For us, we won't have anything to do with anyone that uses the "F" bomb or uses the Lord's name in vain. Then again, we won't have anything to do with any smokers as well.

However, since my wife likes John Travolta a whole lot, we have the movie To Paris With Love. Both "MF" and "F" is used in that. We also have the movie, Last Vegas, where the "F" bomb is used once. Kevin Cline used it.

I remember watching All In The Family and how crude Archie Bunker could be/talk.

What I'm proud of, none of the guys and ladies I knew in rodeo cussed. If they did, in public, the could be reported to the rodeo association and have their membership suspended.

Funny, but, when talking about weight, we seen a rather heavy-set young lady get up out of her seat in a theater, flip-off the screen and leave. What was showing? A preview of Shallow Hal.

Our culture is becoming more coarse. Younger generations think it is hip or cool. Its not new because my generation thought so, too. Comics have known this a long time, but the shock value has decreased.
Advertisers dont care what senior age viewers think or buy--except for age related products and services. They aim for the 24-50 audience. Swearing as a habit is vulgar, trite, boring, boorish and low class. However, many recent presidents swear also, as do celebrities, etc.
Yeah we don't count anymore. My friends and I never talked that way. I never heard my friends nor the adults in our lives curse except for maybe an occasional "Oh sh*t!" if something went wrong. I literally flinched the first time I was exposed to the F words and it was at work. A couple of my young co-workers said those words in front of me.
Surprising fact. I was watching Julie Andrews being interviewed and she admitted that she curses like a sailor. Mary Poppins...really! :rolleyes:

I hate what I consider swearing. My sister's daughter used the F word continuously in her sentences and she realised (my sister) that it was disturbing me and asked her daughter to 'calm it down'. The F word just seems to be part of language now but I have noticed the C word creeping it. I wonder if the use of swear words is an inability to have a command of the English language to express ones self.
Having said that I am sure words/phrases that were used years ago were considered blasphemous and unacceptable - bloody hell, Jesus Christ etc etc.
Would also add that I never heard my grandparents curse or use bad language - not in hearing distance - but given that they had to look after us 4 kids as babies/infants I would not blame them for a moment of 'language discretion'.

Back