suggests Chinese, it was devised by a General, way back in
history, he and his troops were under siege for a long time,
certainly months, if not years and he wanted his men to be
fit for battle.

Anyway I have found a very good gentle version in a YouTube
video, it looks easy, but it really isn't and I ache when I have
tried to follow the examples shown.

Mike.

My wife incorporates one Tai Chi workout into her weekly routine and likes it quite a bit. She finds that it poses challenges that are much different than Yoga. Her weekly workout classes also include Line Dancing, so she works a lot of different movements into her week, ….. and it shows. She gave up weights several years ago because she got bored with that form of exercise, and she never did like running. Still, she is 70 and looking good.

I tried Tai Chi a few years ago, but found it to be rather boring compared to Yoga. In its own way, it is every bit as hard.

We took Level 1 Tai Chi at the Senior's Centre up the street before my husband's hip operation. It was a good workout that requires a fair bit of control. We may go back again, once things are back to normal and they re-open.

They do not have power transition in their movements.
When you watch the movements, it is easy to conclude that there is not a strength/power element to it, but I found that many of the movements were very hard to hold for any length of time and they are a lot more tiring than I expected. I have heard the same thing said about Yoga, but it can also get pretty strenous.

The video that I posted above is number 1 of
at least 5 in the series, plus there are many more
advanced ones too.

Practice this one then move on is the idea.

Mike.

A student should move power (energy) from his/her feet to the palms continuously as a wave (without any breaks and delays). The simplest example (model) is a whip that transfers power from the handle (feet) to the tip (palms). The body should have a “rubber-like” structure where “yin“ in “yang” and ”yang” in “yin”.

Last edited:
Tai Chi looks easy, but one needs a certain amount of balance. I have wonky knees, so, it's a challenge
I asked my wife about how Tai Chi affects the knees and she told me that of the three main exercises she does: Tai Chi, Yoga, and Line Dancing, she thought that Tai Chi was the easiest on the knees and that line dancing was the hardest. She also thinks that the mental (meditative) aspect of Tai Chi was very similar to Yoga and she could get mentally "lost in the moment" doing either one.
On the question of balance, Yoga is the most demanding by far.

I asked my wife about how Tai Chi affects the knees and she told me that of the three main exercises she does: Tai Chi, Yoga, and Line Dancing, she thought that Tai Chi was the easiest on the knees and that line dancing was the hardest. She also thinks that the mental (meditative) aspect of Tai Chi was very similar to Yoga and she could get mentally "lost in the moment" doing either one.
On the question of balance, Yoga is the most demanding by far.
I took yoga many years ago - even into my 8th month of pregnancy. I no longer have the balance for it :(

My only problem is I have the patience of a gnat so it's difficult for me to do the tai chi moves so slowly. LOL

You do not need to do Tai Chi so slowly. Try to find own rhythm and speed. Real Tai Chi is not very slow art. Super-slow performance prevents energy/power transmission through the body. Again, please remember about whip dynamics ( move power from the feet to palms without breaks and delays). The body should work as one unit!

Last edited:
I've only done Tai Chi a couple of times but I loved it. I just haven't been able to find a convenient, reasonably priced place for Tai Chi in my area. I'll be looking for classes again after it becomes safe enough for me to consider taking group classes.

When I used to work in San Francisco my walk through Yerba Buena Center would often take me past a group of people doing Tai Chi outdoors moving in unison. It was such a wonderful, peaceful scene. I never took a picture of them because I thought that would be an imposition on their practice.

I've only done Tai Chi a couple of times but I loved it. I just haven't been able to find a convenient, reasonably priced place for Tai Chi in my area. I'll be looking for classes again after it becomes safe enough for me to consider taking group classes.

When I used to work in San Francisco my walk through Yerba Buena Center would often take me past a group of people doing Tai Chi outdoors moving in unison. It was such a wonderful, peaceful scene. I never took a picture of them because I thought that would be an imposition on their practice.
I know that some Senior's Centers offer Tai Chi classes. You may want to check them out. I'm quite certain their prices would be lower. That's where we took our class. We had a qualified instructor.

I know that some Senior's Centers offer Tai Chi classes. You may want to check them out. I'm quite certain their prices would be lower. That's where we took our class. We had a qualified instructor.

Thank you, I've checked the senior centers and none of them have Tai Chi at times I'm available. They have them in the mornings and afternoons during the work day so I won't be able to take them until I retire 4+ years from now.

There are extensive literature and huge numbers of video on Tai Chi. Everyone can start solo Tai Chi training without qualified instructors. Later, he/she can attend special centers to learn push hands and combat applications.

@asp3 There's Tai Chi videos on YouTube you can follow. That's how I do all my workouts anymore.

Back