Taking a break from drinking

Nathan

I needed a break from drinking too, but I just said, "Screw the whole break thing," because I knew a break would never be enough for me. So I just quit. Well, that's an over simplification. It took some doing. That was 27 years ago, on the 3rd of this month in fact. But I'm 100% behind you if a break is all you need.
đź‘Ť
Well my break is going well, I'm re-learning how well I feel by not drinking, both physically and mentally. At some point I'll have a drink socially, but the every day habit thing just had to go.

I had realized for some time that my nightly cocktail was killing my effort to drop a few pounds.
Yep, lots of usually uncounted calories there. When I went on my big weight loss diet I stopped drinking, I believe it was a big help in losing weight. Now I drink occasionally, but not much and not often, and I do count those calories.

Knew a woman once who went on a "wine" diet, every time she got hungry she would have a glass of wine rather than eat. Seemed to work for her, so I tried it. Total disaster, the alcohol destroyed whatever will power I had. So I not only drank a lot, but ate a lot more too. Fun for a little while though!
Well my break is going well, I'm re-learning how well I feel by not drinking, both physically and mentally. At some point I'll have a drink socially, but the every day habit thing just had to go.
Good for you, not drinking never hurt anyone...

Yep, lots of usually uncounted calories there. When I went on my big weight loss diet I stopped drinking, I believe it was a big help in losing weight. Now I drink occasionally, but not much and not often, and I do count those calories.

Knew a woman once who went on a "wine" diet, every time she got hungry she would have a glass of wine rather than eat. Seemed to work for her, so I tried it. Total disaster, the alcohol destroyed whatever will power I had. So I not only drank a lot, but ate a lot more too. Fun for a little while though!

Good for you, not drinking never hurt anyone...
Yes. I do that periodically. It's like my body is somehow telling me when.

It clears out kharmic conjestion.

Been There

I remember my dad would drink a glass if cider with raisins in it. Mom had a name for it and even she would have a small glass of it from time to time. Dad told me that I was never to drink it. I still don’t know what it was, but he would drink it before going to bed. What would be wrong with drinking a glass of cider with raisins in it?

Della

Total disaster, the alcohol destroyed whatever will power I had.
That's me. I quit smoking 30 years ago and quit drinking the same day, because I knew full well that if I went down to the pub for a drink it would just be a matter of minutes before I'd be batting my eyelashes at some Marlboro man asking if I could have one his cigs. Back then I could get stuff that way.

Devi

I needed a break from drinking too, but I just said, "Screw the whole break thing," because I knew a break would never be enough for me. So I just quit. Well, that's an over simplification. It took some doing. That was 27 years ago, on the 3rd of this month in fact. But I'm 100% behind you if a break is all you need.
I'm with you, @JustDave. I quit everything in 1982, except for cigarettes — I quit those in 2009. Now I have no addictions (except the occasional sugar craving, LOL).

It's unpleasant but easier just to quit.

Packerjohn

Packerjohn
Sometimes I have a drink or two but no more. At the age of 76 and pushing 77, my body pretty well rejects booze. Fortunately, I don't have a drink for weeks on end. Someone here talked about a nightly cocktail. That is a foreign concept to me. Sort of reminds me of those Hollywood/British movies where everyone is carrying around a glass as a sort of prop.

Don't do illegal drugs; nor do I buy cannabis. Here in Canada we have a store selling Cannabis often on every street. I think there is more shops selling cannabis than Tim Horton Coffee Shops. Don't smoke either. Can't stand the stinky stuff!

My reward for this good living is that at my age I am physically fit in body and in mind.