Texas Governor suggests seniors willing to die for economy

Ronni

The motormouth ;)
Apologies to any of you from Texas, no intention to bash your State, but seriously, the idiocy of some people!

Dan Patrick, Texas’ Republican lieutenant governor, on Monday night suggested that he and other grandparents would be willing to risk their health and even lives in order for the United States to “get back to work” amid the corona virus pandemic

Full article here.

I would absolutely risk my health and my life for my loved ones. But this suggestion is ridiculous. How dare he speak for me?

Ronni: How would seniors do that exactly? Would we go shopping flagrantly without a mask? Seriously though, What did he have in mind for seniors to do?
What he is suggesting is that we open up the economy again and isolate only seniors , not everybody so people can get back to work. This would certainly put seniors at some increased risk, but his thoughts are that most seniors would take that risk to ensure a better future for their grandkids. Not that seniors should just go off and die. I'm sure some seniors agree and some don't.
Don't be surprised if something like this happens after we "flatten the curve". There's no way we can do it now because hospitals would be overwhelmed. But eventually there will be a move to get back to some normalcy and seniors may be the sacrificial lamb.

This is a direct quote:

“No one reached out to me and said, 'As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that America loves for its children and grandchildren?' And if that is the exchange, I'm all in,” Patrick said.

His remarks draw a false equivalency. It's not him taking a chance on my survival in exchange for keeping the America that America loves (whatever that's supposed to mean). It's him not taking a chance on further spreading this disease, thus endangering the survival of my friend's 15 year old daughter who's battling cancer, my neighbor with severe COPD, my sister who is recovering from chemotherapy, my great niece with severe asthma, etc., etc.

By the way, I'd bet the farm that his "all in" is BS. Let him catch this virus and he'll be first in line at the hospital begging for a ventilator.

Last edited:
I’m not twisting his words ... I didn’t rephrase anything he said, I simply quoted from the article
This was from a guy that ran for office on "lowering property taxes". Like he could...give me a break. He used to be in the rado station business. Maybe misses getting the "sound bites" the others are right now. Say, shake it off and smell the posies...lol.

This is a direct quote:

“No one reached out to me and said, 'As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that America loves for its children and grandchildren?' And if that is the exchange, I'm all in,” Patrick said.

His remarks draw a false equivalency. It's not him taking a chance on my survival in exchange for keeping the America that America loves (whatever that's supposed to mean). It's him not taking a chance on further spreading this disease, thus endangering the survival of my friend's 15 year old daughter who's battling cancer, my neighbor with severe COPD, my sister who is recovering from chemotherapy, my great niece with severe asthma, etc., etc.

By the way, I'd bet the farm that his "all in" is BS. Let him catch this virus and he'll be first in line for at the hospital begging for a ventilator.
You so got it, gal!

By the way, I'd bet the farm that his "all in" is BS. Let him catch this virus and he'll be first in line for at the hospital begging for a ventilator.

Probably. But he's not saying seniors shouldn't get treatment. He's saying he (and he thinks other seniors) would be OK with the additional risk of just sheltering seniors and let everyone else go on about there way to help the economy and give a better future to their grandkids. Nothing like this is going to happen anytime soon, but there could be a movement in this direction if we appear headed for a depression somewhere down the line.

In Texas, the Lieutenant Governor runs separately for his/her post, and not as a team with the Governor nominee? A Dem Gov could have a Repub Lt. Gov or vice-versa?

I understand what Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick is saying but I don't think that we can afford to take any shortcuts in our efforts to defeat this virus.

images

What's more important people's lives, or the GNP? I can't believe the hype over the coronavirus. A few months ago, during the height of the flu season, tens of thousands, in the US died. In 2017, at least, 60,000. Nobody shut down Disneyland, we had toilet paper in the stores, and we made money. Now, the coronavirus comes along, and we have to stay six feet apart. Why? The symptoms of the virus are rather mild. Of those tested, about 50% of the positives didn't have any symptoms. Outside of China, mortality rates are about the same as the flu. So far, in the US, 800 deaths have been asscociated with the virus. In the US, there are about 129 suicides/day, that's about 3,870 for the last month. What I don't understand is why is the virus such an upheaval, when we just came through a vicious flu season, which nobody really cared about. Nobody was shutting down cruise ships when the flu hit. The same sector of the aging population was targeted by the flu as the virus. If you are terrified about the virus, why did nobody really care about the flu? Tens of thousands died because of the flu, yet no one was piling up toilet paper in their closets. Were flu victims expendable, but virus victims aren't? That is what I don't understand.

Nobody is around to do my shopping for me. I go grocery shopping once a week to grab what I can use from what's left on the shelf and go. Ordering ahead only to get 3 of the 10 things I need 3 days later will not work for me. I'll be obedient to a point, but anything past that forget it. I live alone. No contact with anyone else. What more do they want?

I'm in the same place you are, Judycat! No one to shop for me, No contact with anyone. I'll go to the Post Office once a week to get my bills, but that's all. Isn't it strange? Wow! Is this really happening in my lifetime? It's surreal!

I can't believe the hype over the coronavirus.

You don't get it and likely never will. Has the flu ever had hospitals so overrun that they erected tents in the parking lots to house patients? Have we ever had to buy ventilators by the thousands for a flu outbreak? My God man, do you read?
NY is 21 days out from peak outbreak and the hospitals are full. Here in Mi they are converting operating rooms to ICU units and they're still full and we're in the early stages! SMH

Last edited:
Ronni: How would seniors do that exactly? Would we go shopping flagrantly without a mask? Seriously though, What did he have in mind for seniors to do?
I go shopping without a mask every Monday morning. There is no prove that any mask will stop Cornovirus from hitting you. It's false hope.

Yea this is just like the flu:

This is from an ICU physician .
IN TULSA.
Please just STAY HOME AND KEEP YOURSELVES HEALTHY. A virus can’t kill you if it never meets you.
——————-
“... I'm drenched in sweat from wearing a Tyvek suit and being in our COVID-19 negative pressure ICU for hours doing procedures. I've intubated 3 COVID patients tonight. I have another who is going to die tonight. I have another moving to the unit that I will have to intubate.
Every patient asks me the same question: what's going to happen? I give the same answer every time: I don't know, but this isn't good. It's not a lie, but their chances are shit. That's the truth.
I've been having them facetime or talk with family before intubation. It's their chance to say goodbye. No family can come into that unit. It's sealed off from the rest of the world. Every time I go in, I feel like I'm walking over graves.
It's not the death that's getting to me, it's the not knowing how to fix it. Not knowing how to pull someone back who shouldn't be there. These people who are relatively healthy are being ravaged by this virus. I don't understand it.
I just want to help and all I feel like is a goddamn grim reaper. I'm not afraid to say it, this virus scares the shit out of me. If you aren't scared, you haven't stood toe to toe with it.

GaryT1957: HOLY CRAP! Oh! I can't even reply to his words! THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! This puts everything in perspective! HOLY CRAP!

I was a little leery of posting it because you never know if it's true but as I'm posting this I'm listening to a video from a local nurse who is saying the exact same thing.

Back