Thanksgiving Sides

Dressing without a doubt. In pre Covid times we used a 10 gallon tub to mix it. We would freeze some for later. Also @Kayelle 's
broccoli salad and cranberry sauce.
As an aside,
a few years ago we visited Cape Cod and toured the cranberry bogs. We never saw the two guys from Ocean Spray, however:D

Another absolute side of mine... cranberry jelly, not the berry version, not real berries, just plain old canned cranberry smooth jelly.

No jelly, no turkey.
I used to love Ocean Spray cranberry orange relish - then they discontinued it years ago. Now I make my own - 1 cup dried cranberries, 1 cup orange juice. Place together in a saucepan and cook until juice is absorbed and let cool to room temp.

I used to love Ocean Spray cranberry orange relish - then they discontinued it years ago. Now I make my own - 1 cup dried cranberries, 1 cup orange juice. Place together in a saucepan and cook until juice is absorbed and let cool to room temp.
OMG, does that ever sound delish!

Thank you for sharing your recipe with me, Deb!

My mom was undoubtedly the worst cook on the continent, so growing up Thanksgiving dinner consisted of overcooked, dry turkey, instant mashed potato, peas and carrots (canned), some sort of slimy stuffing, gravy (canned) and some sort of canned squash that I think was meant for pies. After living through that, I'm willing to accept ANY well-cooked, tasty side dish, no matter what it is...

I always feel awkward about bringing food when I am invited as a guest to a meal. If I don't, the host might think I was greedy and only came to gobble up his food and not reciprocate. If I being food, it's like saying "You food isn't good or ample enough for me, so I brought some." What to do?

I always feel awkward about bringing food when I am invited as a guest to a meal. If I don't, the host might think I was greedy and only came to gobble up his food and not reciprocate. If I being food, it's like saying "You food isn't good or ample enough for me, so I brought some." What to do?
Honestly, I believe most people hosting a dinner party or get-together would be honoured to have a guest or guests arrive with a little something.

I for one am one of those hosts. By no means would I, or do I expect it, but I always find it to be a nice gesture.

Back