That Moment When You Realize Your Father is a Nerd

Beezer

I was talking to my 87 year old Dad with my daughter around the kitchen table the other day.

Dad recounted how, back in the day, he loved the time of year at University when they would all line up at the book store to purchase their textbooks for the Semester. I pointed at my Father...while looking at my daughter...and said, "Your Grandfather was a Nerd!"

Dad just had this quizzical look on his face. It was priceless! :LOL:

Dad was always a scholar and a gentleman.

Through a misunderstanding, he was kicked out of his English Class for the Semester. The teacher felt my Dad had mocked him. Dad had laughed out loud, but it was for some other reason.

At the end of the Semester, the teachers were handing out awards on award night and my Dad's teacher showed up and asked who had won the English award for the whole school.

Dad piped up and said, "I did.":LOL:

Dad was such a nerd he studied in the Library during each English Class he was banned from and ended up with the highest mark in the school!

I had the same epiphany when my mother's father (my Grandfather) passed away.

At the Funeral, Mom approached Grandpa's casket and...through tears...quietly said "Goodbye Daddy."

I had never heard Mom refer to Grandpa as 'Daddy' before. My heart skipped a beat. And I realized that the Boss of the family of 5 kids was in fact...just a grown-up...but still little girl...who loved her Father dearly.

It was less of a nerd than a generational gap moment when I heard my father refer to Rock ‘n’ Roll music as “noise.” He did seem to enjoy some science fiction movies as well as Twilight Zone episodes, however…

Actually, I had the opposite of finding the nerdness of my dad. Our attic was not finished, there was no floor. My dad decided to lay the floor without using nails. Doing that involve all kinds of angles, that have to fit into other angles. It's wood slotted into wood slots.
That took unbelievable patience and attention to detail. Totally admired my dad.

Back