The Barium 3 hour x-ray

Aneeda72

This is an x ray that evaluates your swallowing ability (didn’t know that), stomach emptying with liquids, and checks your small intestine. Apparently it doesn’t evaluate your colon/large intestine. You get other tests for that.

You take a swallow of barium and they take the first x ray with you laying down on the table. Then you wait a period of time, stand on the X-ray table, swallow barium at certain times, while X-rays are taking. You also swallow a fizzy concoction to cause gas and are told not to burp. The X-rays are like a fast acting camera. Then, while you are on the table, the table tilts down. When you are laying down, you swallow more barium while X-rays are taken.

Then you wait a certain amount of time, about half hour. Drink more barium. Another X-ray is taken of you laying flat. Since this X-ray showed I still had barium left in the lower part of my stomach, I had to drink a cup of water to try and clear it out. Then you lay flat on the table, more X-rays are taken. A plastic tool is used to press on your stomach while this series of X-rays are taken.

The PA said he saw no problems. With so many X-rays taken, I thought I must be glowing from all the radioactive. 😂. Tech did say I needed a endoscopy, gee, which is what I wanted in a first place, and I needed to swallow the camera. How he thinks I could swallow the camera “pill” which is quite large is beyond me.

The results posted on line in a few hours. I have a swallowing problem which I already knew cause, gee, I have trouble swallowing. Now I suppose doctors will “believe me”. It’s called esophageal dysmotility, and intraluminal filling defects-have no clue. It did not show the constriction, which is seen on the endoscopy. Hiatal hernia which I’ve had forever. Waste of time and money, IMO.

Last edited:
My son and I were in the X-ray dept waiting on his X-ray many years ago. There was a lady with extended family in for a procedure that required her to drink like 3 bottles of that nasty barium stuff in one go. She had a little boy with her, maybe 4 or 5 yrs old. He solemnly and silently watched her manage to get through the first two bottles (not fun, thick/chalky stuff). As she started the third bottle he asked innocently, “Are you thirsty?” She laughed along with the rest of us, bless her heart

Back