The Book of Obscure Sorrows, John Koenig

Medusa

Is anyone familiar with, The Book of Obsure Sorrows, John Koenig?

It is a beautiful book, a dictionary of sorts, of words he has created (with tracible etimology) for emotions encompassing what it is to be human, for which we do not currently have words in English.

For instance: beloiter, v. intr. to look around in a state of mild astonishment that your life is somehow still going, as if a part of you had just assumed that your allotment of days would have been used up by now, standing there like a player at a slot machine, perpetually surprised that your winnings continue to trickle out, but not sure what you're supposed to do now.

From to be+to loiter, to hang around someplace with no particular agenda. Pronounced "bil-loi-ter"

Or one of my favorites:
Socha
The hidden vulnerability of others.

There's an optical illusion that's easy to fall for, even if you know the trick: the more distant you are from other people the more invulnerable they appear.

You see yourself as you are with your failures just as clear as your successes. But you see most other people on their terms - only from the side they want you to see, like a statue on a high pedestal, stoic and confident. At first glance, they've got everything figured out, with every feature set in stone, exactly as they had intended. They appear securely embedded in their community, wrapped up tightly with their loved ones. Their life seems complete, like a finished work of art.

But it's only just a trick of perspective, because you can't see the cracks from so far away. You have no way of knowing how insecure their footing might be, how malleable they really are. How many years of effort might have gone into shaping their persona into something acceptable. How many hands it takes just to get them through an ordinary day, and keep them from falling to pieces.

Each of us is only ever a work in progress; we all have weaknesses we're not sure how to fix. So why does it feel so surprising when we catch a glimpse of vulnerability in others? Why do we keep falling for the same old trick when each of us spends so much time trying to get away with it ourselves? Who knows why we harbor such public confidence and such private doubts?

Maybe we need to think of others as statues, and ourselves as fragile blobs of clay. Maybe that contradiction is what keeps us moving, wanting to do better ourselves and be more than what we are. Maybe it helps us keep our distance, to avoid too much friction as we brush past one another, trying to ignore how much damage we can do along the way.

Or maybe our secret vulnerability is what draws us together. It gives each of us a primal need that only a friend can satisfy - someone you trust enough to be yourself with, who can help prop you up if needed, or remind you that you're fine the way you are. And even if you're not, that's okay too. Nothing is set in stone.

EDIT: Typo

Czech socha, statue. Pronounced “soh-khuh.”

Last edited:
Hi Medusa .. I'm a new "kid" on the block and this thread is just a wonderful happenstance (is that really a word) as I have just recently bought and fallen in love with this amazing book.
There are so many languages that have a simple, and often beautiful, word which has no equivalent in English. There is a Japanese word, Komorebi, which means the pattern of light on a forest floor made by sunlight as it filters through the leaves above.
John Koenig has thoughtfully researched and produced a book that goes some way towards giving us words for occurrences and sensations for which there is no adequate entry in the English dictionary.

This such a nice coincidence and an opportunity to make my first contribution to the forum :) ... thank you.

Hi Medusa .. I'm a new "kid" on the block and this thread is just a wonderful happenstance (is that really a word) as I have just recently bought and fallen in love with this amazing book.
There are so many languages that have a simple, and often beautiful, word which has no equivalent in English. There is a Japanese word, Komorebi, which means the pattern of light on a forest floor made by sunlight as it filters through the leaves above.
John Koenig has thoughtfully researched and produced a book that goes some way towards giving us words for occurrences and sensations for which there is no adequate entry in the English dictionary.

This such a nice coincidence and an opportunity to make my first contribution to the forum :) ... thank you.

Hello, @octavio, and welcome to the forum!

I am so freaking pleased that there is someone else here who knows this book. It is beautiful, isn't it?

I appreciate that the author hasn't simply made up words out of thin air but used words from other languages such that the words he has created have their own etymology.

The Japanese word, Komorebi is lovely. And I don't know why, but it does not surprise me that the Japanese would create a word for such a specific thing because it is also beautiful and appreciative of their surroundings. Happenstance is a word, as it happens. I pretty-much thought it was, but checked just to be sure. ;)

Again, welcome. You’ll meet lots of fun, interesting people here. :)

Is anyone familiar with, The Book of Obsure Sorrows, John Koenig?

It is a beautiful book, a dictionary of sorts, of words he has created (with tracible etimology) for emotions encompassing what it is to be human, for which we do not currently have words in English.

For instance: beloiter, v. intr. to look around in a state of mild astonishment that your life is somehow still going, as if a part of you had just assumed that your allotment of days would have been used up by now, standing there like a player at a slot machine, perpetually surprised that your winnings continue to trickle out, but not sure what you're supposed to do now.

From to be+to loiter, to hang around someplace with no particular agenda. Pronounced "bil-loi-ter"

Or one of my favorites:
Socha
The hidden vulnerability of others.

There's an optical illusion that's easy to fall for, even if you know the trick: the more distant you are from other people the more invulnerable they appear.

You see yourself as you are with your failures just as clear as your successes. But you see most other people on their terms - only from the side they want you to see, like a statue on a high pedestal, stoic and confident. At first glance, they've got everything figured out, with every feature set in stone, exactly as they had intended. They appear securely embedded in their community, wrapped up tightly with their loved ones. Their life seems complete, like a finished work of art.

But it's only just a trick of perspective, because you can't see the cracks from so far away. You have no way of knowing how insecure their footing might be, how malleable they really are. How many years of effort might have gone into shaping their persona into something acceptable. How many hands it takes just to get them through an ordinary day, and keep them from falling to pieces.

Each of us is only ever a work in progress; we all have weaknesses we're not sure how to fix. So why does it feel so surprising when we catch a glimpse of vulnerability in others? Why do we keep falling for the same old trick when each of us spends so much time trying to get away with it ourselves? Who knows why we harbor such public confidence and such private doubts?

Maybe we need to think of others as statues, and ourselves as fragile blobs of clay. Maybe that contradiction is what keeps us moving, wanting to do better ourselves and be more than what we are. Maybe it helps us keep our distance, to avoid too much friction as we brush past one another, trying to ignore how much damage we can do along the way.

Or maybe our secret vulnerability is what draws us together. It gives each of us a primal need that only a friend can satisfy - someone you trust enough to be yourself with, who can help prop you up if needed, or remind you that you're fine the way you are. And even if you're not, that's okay too. Nothing is set in stone.

EDIT: Typo

Czech socha, statue. Pronounced “soh-khuh.”

No, but from your description it sounds like something I would buy if I saw it whilst perusing a bookstore.

If I had this book I think I would be too tempted to slip the odd one or two words into emails at work. Or at least up until a manager took me to one side and quietly said to me, “Stop it!” :)

With a bit of effort, could John Koenig become the next Shakespeare? Somewhat famous for inventing words, or taking words from somewhere else.

I think there is a word for the feeling on the lips before taking a sip of whisky. A word that only the Scots might be aware of?

A lot of words in the English language are borrowed from somewhere else. Its thought that somewhere around 10,000 words were introduced into the English language by the Norman French, after the year 1066.

Last edited:
a word for the feeling on the lips before taking a sip of whisky
I tried to find this (okay, didn't do extensive research, but still), but could only find, "mouthfeel," which is referring to, "the sensations that are experienced inside the mouth while eating or drinking. These can include textures that touch the tongue, roof of the mouth, teeth, throat, or it even can refer to an aftertaste."

So, some sort of anticipatory mouthfeel, then?

Yes, I agree; English is an amalgamation of other languages, a lot of them being French in origin, but there is also Latin, Spanish, Greek, (...I think...) etc.

Funny, I think of English as a romance language and am continually "re-surprised" when remembering that it is actually Germanic.

I tried to find this (okay, didn't do extensive research, but still), but could only find, "mouthfeel," which is referring to, "the sensations that are experienced inside the mouth while eating or drinking. These can include textures that touch the tongue, roof of the mouth, teeth, throat, or it even can refer to an aftertaste."

So, some sort of anticipatory mouthfeel, then?

Yes, I agree; English is an amalgamation of other languages, a lot of them being French in origin, but there is also Latin, Spanish, Greek, (...I think...) etc.

Funny, I think of English as a romance language and am continually "re-surprised" when remembering that it is actually Germanic.

I’ve just found it in a book I have. I don’t waste my evenings. LOL… Or early mornings for that matter. Ok, so here we go:

Gaelic speakers of Scotland… …have a word for the itchiness that overcomes the upper lip just before taking a sip of whiskey. (Wouldn’t they just?) It’s sgriob”.

In reality it seems that this word can refer to different things relating to scratch or itchiness. Although sometimes used as, “sgriob drama”. ‘Drama’ as in a dram of whisky, apparently.

This below from the same book; if it’s to be believed. “Highland Scottish word sgiomlaireachd, which means ‘the habit of dropping in at mealtimes.’

Non English speaking country’s translating instruction into English: "Yugoslavian hotel: 'The flattening of underwear with pleasure is the job of the chambermaid. Turn to her straightaway.' "

On a trip to japan I remember reading a leaflet I picked up in a hotel I was staying at. It was an English translation from the Japanese, or rather what a Japanese translator thought the English equivalent should be. It was hilarious; I was literally in tears of laughter.

Something else from the book.

The complexities of the English language are such that even native speakers cannot always communicate effectively, as almost every American learns on his first day in Britain.

The book: Mother Tongue, by Bill Bryson. I have several books by this author. Also have a couple of large books by David Crystal, Professor of Linguistics. Described as one of the world’s foremost authorities on language.

Last edited:
I’ve just found it in a book I have. I don’t waste my evenings. LOL… Or early mornings for that matter. Ok, so here we go:

Gaelic speakers of Scotland… …have a word for the itchiness that overcomes the upper lip just before taking a sip of whiskey. (Wouldn’t they just?) It’s sgriob”.

In reality it seems that this word can refer to different things relating to scratch or itchiness. Although sometimes used as, “sgriob drama”. ‘Drama’ as in a dram of whisky, apparently.

This below from the same book; if it’s to be believed. “Highland Scottish word sgiomlaireachd, which means ‘the habit of dropping in at mealtimes.’

Non English speaking country’s translating instruction into English: "Yugoslavian hotel: 'The flattening of underwear with pleasure is the job of the chambermaid. Turn to her straightaway.' "

On a trip to japan I remember reading a leaflet I picked up in a hotel I was staying at. It was an English translation from the Japanese, or rather what a Japanese translator thought the English equivalent should be. It was hilarious; I was literally in tears of laughter.

Something else from the book.

The complexities of the English language are such that even native speakers cannot always communicate effectively, as almost every American learns on his first day in Britain.

The book: Mother Tongue, by Bill Bryson. I have several books by this author. Also have a couple of large books by David Crystal, Professor of Linguistics. Described as one of the world’s foremost authorities on language.
Hi,

To clarify, the above quotes are from the book, The Mother Tongue, by Bill Byron? I'd like to pick that up, I think.

I have a favorite linguistics professor too: Professor John McWhorter. I have several of his lectures on audio and enjoy is very descriptive (as opposed to prescriptive) approach to language communication. That and he is interesting, funny and has such a freaking wide knowledge base of languages, down even to knowing a little bit of a few very obscure click languages.

Thank you for the quotes above; I love the Gaelic languages.

Last edited:
Beloiter; I loved that one.
That's a nice one, isn't it? Not all, but so many of the words this author has produced just hit home with certain emotions, feelings, experiences we have but don't think about consciously (often, anyway).

Never heard of it, but you got my interest, thanks for the post! I think I will try to get a copy.

I was once beloitered as in your example. I was in the Las Vegas airport waiting for my plane and decided to empty my pocket of quarters on a slot machine. I hit the jackpot but didn't know it, the machine stopped working and started making lots of noise, I sat their beloitered as I slowly figured it out. I won $2,000, an attendant had to come over and pay me in cash. I was truly (I think I got it right) beloitered. Not a gambler, rarely do it, have not since, nice to think I ended ahead.
Thanks @Magna-Carta ! As a life long drinker and appreciator of Scotch and other whiskey its I word I need to learn! It would help if I could pronounce it. Would really impress my friends, well maybe.
Actually, if anyone wants to read it, link below , can make it larger or switch to PDF or Epub.
https://archive.org/details/the-dictionary-of-obscure-sorrows/page/n1/mode/2up
This book is fairly new and on sale. I'm not sure it's legally in the public domain?
Legal or not I was able to easily download and read it at @kburra 's link. Thanks for that!

Never heard of it, but you got my interest, thanks for the post! I think I will try to get a copy.

I was once beloitered as in your example. I was in the Las Vegas airport waiting for my plane and decided to empty my pocket of quarters on a slot machine. I hit the jackpot but didn't know it, the machine stopped working and started making lots of noise, I sat their beloitered as I slowly figured it out. I won $2,000, an attendant had to come over and pay me in cash. I was truly (I think I got it right) beloitered. Not a gambler, rarely do it, have not since, nice to think I ended ahead.

Thanks @Magna-Carta ! As a life long drinker and appreciator of Scotch and other whiskey its I word I need to learn! It would help if I could pronounce it. Would really impress my friends, well maybe.

Legal or not I was able to easily download and read it at @kburra 's link. Thanks for that!
I think you know this so forgive me for being either obtuse or presumptuous (possibly both simultaneously) in mentioning that the author is using the slot machine winnings as a metaphor to get his meaning across. You knew that. I know. I'm being lame, but I can't help pointing it out. It's like a loose thread... I must. :/

Well... do you mean obscure in the sense of, vague, ambiguous, unclear or mysterious, enigmatic?

(I'm trying to figure out which emoji to stick on this post.) ;)

Oh I so wanted this to be an actual collection of words from other languages. But apparently it is a creative work by the author of words for unusual or imaginative emotions for which he had created etymologies as well. I’ll still check it out and look it over of course.

Oh I so wanted this to be an actual collection of words from other languages. But apparently it is a creative work by the author of words for unusual or imaginative emotions for which he had created etymologies as well. I’ll still check it out and look it over of course.
I think you'll like it. So many of the words bring experiences we don't generally register consciously to light, granting the opportunity to really feel them, again, through this new explanation.

Thanks @Magna-Carta ! As a life long drinker and appreciator of Scotch and other whiskey its I word [sgriob] I need to learn! It would help if I could pronounce it. Would really impress my friends, well maybe.

I was wondering at the time I posted how the word might be pronounced. But now you have mentioned the same, my curioslty has become stonger. Ive just found this:

"sgrìob /skree-UP/. noun. According to Robert Archibald Armstrong’s A Gaelic Dictionary, this so-called untranslatable means “an itching of the lip, superstitiously supposed to precede a feast or a kiss from a favourite.” Thus sgrìob poige (before a kiss) and sgrìob dibhe or sgrìob drama (before a dram)."

I'm not sure how the feeling just before receiving a kiss might be similar to before sipping a dram, but each to their own. Unless I'm doing something wrong. I feel this is now worthy of experimentation, so I’m now going to pour myself a glass of whisky. I’ll keep you posted about the kiss.

And this if you want to hear it pronounced:
https://www.howtopronounce.com/sgriob

Last edited:
I was wondering at the time I posted how the word might be pronounced. But now you have mentioned the same, my curioslty has become stonger. Ive just found this:

"sgrìob /skree-UP/. noun. According to Robert Archibald Armstrong’s A Gaelic Dictionary, this so-called untranslatable means “an itching of the lip, superstitiously supposed to precede a feast or a kiss from a favourite.” Thus sgrìob poige (before a kiss) and sgrìob dibhe or sgrìob drama (before a dram)."

I'm not sure how the feeling just before receiving a kiss might be similar to before sipping a dram, but each to their own. Unless I'm doing something wrong. I feel this is now worthy of experimentation, so I’m now going to pour myself a glass of whisky. I’ll keep you posted about the kiss.

And this if you want to hear it pronounced:
https://www.howtopronounce.com/sgriob
Thanks! I'll work on that pronunciation, and once I feel I've gotten it down I'll put it to use!

Hi,

To clarify, the above quotes are from the book, The Mother Tongue, by Bill Byron? I'd like to pick that up, I think.

I have a favorite linguistics professor too: Professor John McWhorter. I have several of his lectures on audio and enjoy is very descriptive (as opposed to prescriptive) approach to language communication. That and he is interesting, funny and has such a freaking wide knowledge base of languages, down even to knowing a little bit of a few very obscure click languages.

Thank you for the quotes above; I love the Gaelic languages.

I think the book is, “Mother Tongue" and “The mother Tongue” depending on which edition it is.

The author, Bill Bryson, born in Des Moines, Iowa, came to the UK in around 1974, and seemed to then fallen in love with the UK’s quirkiness, as seen from an American’s perspective. He married an English woman and settled down in the UK. Becoming a journalist working in London. Then just over 20 years later took his family to the US to live. I think he’s back living in the UK again. He was given an OBE, “Most Excellent Order of the British Empire”, by the Queen, on the order of the British government. I find his dry sense of humour really funny.

The first book of his I bought was “Notes From a Small Island”. His thoughts on Britain, and his travels there. Then I brought his similar book, “Notes from a Big Country [USA]”. Then, “Made in America”, “The Mother Tongue”, “The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America”, “Troublesome Words”, “A Short History Of Nearly Everything”.

When did you become interested in this type of thing, and why? I find that my interest in this type of thing takes me to many different places, historically speaking. There is so much to learn about the history and development of a particular language. It can reveal a lot about a country's history and its people.

Even to the point of understanding place names - how they came to be, developed, and changed over time. For example, in the case of English and the UK, if you were to look at a map of England and draw a diagonal line from northwest to southeast, you would find that many place names above the line end in "by". This area of England was known as the Danelaw, occupied by the Vikings. I believe "by" (previously "byr") referred to a farmstead or village, and "Ash" (previously "askr") referred to ash trees. So perhaps the settlement was originally named Askrbyr by the Vikings, then became Ashby, literally meaning a farmstead or village by the ash trees. Now, it's a town of around 16,000.

Derby, for example, is a Viking place name near to where I work, originally meaning a village (or farmstead) of the deer (or deer village). Now, it's a city of around 260,000 or more.

Last edited:
I realise I'm something of a 'Johnny-come-lately' having only recently joined the site and I don't wish to get off on the wrong foot. I just felt a need to say that a well-intentioned thread, started by Medusa, regarding a wonderful piece of work that would have taken a considerable amount of time to curate, has unwittingly become a source of information where that very same book can be got for free. I find this rather sad and, I believe, well outside of the original intent of the thread. Not wishing to offend anyone, just wanted to get that off my chest.

There is a Japanese word, Komorebi, which means the pattern of light on a forest floor made by sunlight as it filters through the leaves above.
I just love this word - Komorebi. I can immediately see the forest in my mind and recall how happy it made me feel.

i would like to read both Bill Bryson and John Koenig. But the local library does not have Koenig’s book. It does have quite a few of Bryson’s so I’ll start with him.

I think the book is, “Mother Tongue" and “The mother Tongue” depending on which edition it is.

The author, Bill Bryson, born in Des Moines, Iowa, came to the UK in around 1974, and seemed to then fallen in love with the UK’s quirkiness, as seen from an American’s perspective. He married an English woman and settled down in the UK. Becoming a journalist working in London. Then just over 20 years later took his family to the US to live. I think he’s back living in the UK again. He was given an OBE, “Most Excellent Order of the British Empire”, by the Queen, on the order of the British government. I find his dry sense of humour really funny.

The first book of his I bought was “Notes From a Small Island”. His thoughts on Britain, and his travels there. Then I brought his similar book, “Notes from a Big Country [USA]”. Then, “Made in America”, “The Mother Tongue”, “The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America”, “Troublesome Words”, “A Short History Of Nearly Everything”.

When did you become interested in this type of thing, and why? I find that my interest in this type of thing takes me to many different places, historically speaking. There is so much to learn about the history and development of a particular language. It can reveal a lot about a country's history and its people.

Even to the point of understanding place names - how they came to be, developed, and changed over time. For example, in the case of English and the UK, if you were to look at a map of England and draw a diagonal line from northwest to southeast, you would find that many place names above the line end in "by". This area of England was known as the Danelaw, occupied by the Vikings. I believe "by" (previously "byr") referred to a farmstead or village, and "Ash" (previously "askr") referred to ash trees. So perhaps the settlement was originally named Askrbyr by the Vikings, then became Ashby, literally meaning a farmstead or village by the ash trees. Now, it's a town of around 16,000.

Derby, for example, is a Viking place name near to where I work, originally meaning a village (or farmstead) of the deer (or deer village). Now, it's a city of around 260,000 or more.
Thank you so much for this. I now have Bill Bryson's, “The Mother Tongue,” and “A Short History of Nearly Everything" in my Audible wish list. I'm excited about listening to them both.

Can I recommend Professor McWhorter’s, “Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue,” as a good start for his work, if you’re interested? He’s wonderful over audio as he does dialects, slang, etc. so very well.

He said something in one of his lectures that struck me as so profound, poignant and beautiful, I remember it by rote. Instead of saying, “If you’re old enough,” he said, “If you’re far enough along in this trail of tears we call life.

I was walking my previous Boxer, my Howie, at the time and I remember I had to stop, replay that and just absorb it. I felt closer to Professor McWhorter for it.

I can't pinpoint when I became interested in linguistics. I have always loved reading and communicating and I suppose, by extension, language. It has just developed over the years.

I share your interest, fascination with, understanding of how language opens an entire culture in that, as @Octavio_48 pointed out that beautiful Japanese word, Komorebi, there are words in other languages to describe things that we do not have in our language and reasons for that; they describe things, ideas, feelings, etc., which are not of note or value in our culture or we simply haven't thought about them for whatever reasons.

The point is that learning a different language doesn't just enable a person to speak to others of that language, but literally opens that person’s culture, their way of thinking and being.

It's the ability to experience a different world, learning a new language.

I also appreciate how language changes over time and is constantly in motion, a fluid thing and how that reflects the societies that create them, over time and space. I simply love languages.

That is very interesting, the etymology of the word, Derby.” There are so many words that start out meaning something so very different from where they are now and I love the journey, tracking back and following the pathway of words from then to now.

I am wondering now how in the world the term for the contact sport, Roller Derby got started?

Okay, so I had to look it up. :)

It’s in the etymology along with your reference:

derby (n.)
town and county in England, Old English Deorby "deer village," from deor "deer" (see deer) + by "habitation, homestead," from a Scandinavian source (see first element in bylaw). the annual Derby horse race, the most important in England, was begun 1780 by the 12th Earl of Derby and run at Epsom, Surrey; the name was used for any major horse race after 1875. Hence Derby day (generally the Wednesday before Whitsuntide), etc.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/derby

So, that explains that.

There is also a wiki reference, but though I love wiki, I see it as a bit of a soft reference for this type of discussion. Nonetheless, here’s that too:

The term derby, meaning a race or multi-race event, appeared in the press as early as 1922, when the Chicago Tribune announced and reported on the results of two "roller derby" events held that year. These were multi-day events during which various roller skating races were held on a flat track at Chicago's Broadway Armory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_roller_derby

Fun. :)

I've always found the Japanese language fascinating. Just one example being 'Genchi Genbutsu.' Not only does it sound beautiful, but its principle I would always encourage. I would also encourage everyone here to look it up and see for yourself.

Back