The Coming Movie "The Joker" And The Warnings Attached To It

fmdog44

I don't recall any film with concerns on the violence being aired to this coming film. Theater chains are stating no persons will be allowed in their theaters wearing wigs and or makeup related to the film. Joaquin Phoenix is starring as the Joker. I viewed his opinion and the directors opinion on the film saying "it's only a movie" and if any violence like copycat killers occur it is not their fault. But the way I view it the script contains things designed to be ultra violent and scary. So everything in the film is deliberate. I can't say much more until I see the film and I don't intend to view it. It is sad that ultra violence and gore drive the movie industry in the name of financial success. This is playing with fire but I hope I'm wrong.

IMO it was a bad idea for the government to make such a public warning about the possibility of violence. I think that it will do more to get the bad guys thinking about how when and where they can make a statement of some sort. I think that it would have been much better to quietly notify Warner Bros., to encourage them to notify the theater owners of the potential danger/risk so they could review their security procedures with local law enforcement and perhaps increase security in theaters during the screenings.

On the other side of the coin, Warner Bros. and the film got more advertising for the film than they could ever imagine or hope to purchase.

I sincerely hope that it turns out to be a non-event.

I'd say that this is one great advertising campaign. Oh! Gee!! This movie is so horrible, we have to take desperate measures. OMG
Back in the 50s, the movie trailers would say that no one with a heart condition would be let into the theater. Everybody gets all bent out over movie sex/violence- since the 1920s. We're ruining young minds, etc. And every study has shown that movies have very little effect-good or bad. Remember when God fearing teenage boys were supposed to run off and rape anything female after listening to Elvis-The Pelvis. As realistic as these movies are, you can't escape the fact that people realize the ARE movies.

I'd say that this is one great advertising campaign. Oh! Gee!! This movie is so horrible, we have to take desperate measures. OMG
Back in the 50s, the movie trailers would say that no one with a heart condition would be let into the theater. Everybody gets all bent out over movie sex/violence- since the 1920s. We're ruining young minds, etc. And every study has shown that movies have very little effect-good or bad. Remember when God fearing teenage boys were supposed to run off and rape anything female after listening to Elvis-The Pelvis. As realistic as these movies are, you can't escape the fact that people realize the ARE movies.
Typically I might agree with you but ask yourself when you were a teen how many young suicides were there? How many drug overdoses were there and how many mass shootings were there? We are not living in the 60s.

IMO it was a bad idea for the government to make such a public warning about the possibility of violence. I think that it will do more to get the bad guys thinking about how when and where they can make a statement of some sort. I think that it would have been much better to quietly notify Warner Bros., to encourage them to notify the theater owners of the potential danger/risk so they could review their security procedures with local law enforcement and perhaps increase security in theaters during the screenings.

On the other side of the coin, Warner Bros. and the film got more advertising for the film than they could ever imagine or hope to purchase.

I sincerely hope that it turns out to be a non-event.
All the more reason we watch way more "old movies and tv episodes".

Back in the 50s, the movie trailers would say that no one with a heart condition would be let into the theater.

I remember those. There was a 1993 movie called "Matinee" with John Goodman that did a parody on the old 1950's horror movies. It's really good. One of my favorites. As for the advertising around this new movie, you are right. They are just recycling an old marketing technique that's probably been around ever since the games in the Colosseum of ancient Rome. .

Last edited:
Free advertising. From what I know of the film I would have had no desire to see it. I have been so not in tune with the press I am not sure of all the issues, so I hesitate to comment much.
I did hear that theatre Aurora, Colorado that had the shooting will not be showing the movie.

I'm amazed at the hype for this film. It IS a movie. The images on the screen can't bite, nor can they leap off the screen. They are bits of light. Granted, it may be violent as hell, but it ain't real. It's not like you are going to catch some "violence" virus, and get the urge to rampage Tokyo. Let's not loose perspective. Theaters say they won't let anyone in dressed as the Joker. Well, you well know somebody is going to show up dressed that way, and not allowed in. Of course, they'll be on TV, with video from the Eye Witness Investigative News Team@11. It's pure hype.

This movie is an investor's dream...all the free publicity will cause profits to skyrocket!
The Joker will be no "joke" when it comes to net box office returns.

But I am afraid that there will be a couple of nut jobs out there will try to use it as an excuse to shoot someone or into a group setting. Time for all of us to keep a look out for those around us that start acting out or taking things to the extreme. I try to be aware of what situations are around me when I am out. I don't go to the movies any more but wait for them to come out on dvd to watch if I am interested. Will not be watching any joker ones. They were never my type of entertainment.

I'm amazed at the hype for this film. It IS a movie. The images on the screen can't bite, nor can they leap off the screen. They are bits of light. Granted, it may be violent as hell, but it ain't real. It's not like you are going to catch some "violence" virus, and get the urge to rampage Tokyo. Let's not loose perspective. Theaters say they won't let anyone in dressed as the Joker. Well, you well know somebody is going to show up dressed that way, and not allowed in. Of course, they'll be on TV, with video from the Eye Witness Investigative News Team@11. It's pure hype.

I believe in the freedom to choose what you are exposed to but for myself if I ever would watch something like that which I wouldn’t it would go into my psyche and eat me alive. For me my environment impacts my interior self in either a positive or a negative way. I want to surround myself with good in order to help me grow into a better person. I hope especially the young people in America stay away from this poison as it will not help them to grow into better people and today we really need that.

I've never really cared for horror films except movies based on books written by Stephen King because they were so farfetched it could never really happen. Real life in America in 2019 is scary enough for me. I wouldn't find this film "entertaining" at all and it gives people ideas.

Of course it is a movie!! Ever hear of copycat killers? Ever hear of freaks obsessed with Hollywood stars? How about the maniac that shot President Reagan so the actress Jodi Foster would pay attention to him. The upgraded security at theaters is to stop people that are nuts and own guns, not normal people that also own guns. Recall Vegas recently where one person killed 50 and injured hundreds. Wake up!

Of course it is a movie!! Ever hear of copycat killers? Ever hear of freaks obsessed with Hollywood stars? How about the maniac that shot President Reagan so the actress Jodi Foster would pay attention to him. The upgraded security at theaters is to stop people that are nuts and own guns, not normal people that also own guns. Recall Vegas recently where one person killed 50 and injured hundreds. Wake up!

Some information not released early on.......

https://mfamediagroup.com/laura-loo...s-the-lid-off-vegas-massacres-official-story/

I don't know it's a movie, puts ideas in people's head and/or slamming a movie before the public really has a chance to react to it financially and critically.

I never saw what inspired the Colorado shooter/murderer in the Dark Knight movie. And the killer was under psychiatric care at the time.

Not allowing full face make up in a public/private venue I can see from a security concern because a criminal suspect would be hard to identify but also easy to ID if pursuit starts immediately.

I never go to the movies. The last time was over 20 years ago. I watch my DVDs that I order from Amazon & they are all older, nicer TV shows. This morning I ordered 3 years of "The Twilight Zone" & 1 DVD of "Rawhide". I also enjoy The Streets of San Francisco & Gunsmoke. I think new films are disgusting because of sex & violence. No wonder there are so many acts of violence. Hollywood is promoting it.

Back