The Flying Scotsman

-Oy-

Bloke with a camera
The Flying Scotsman at Dandrymire Viaduct, Garsdale this afternoon.

Flying%20Scotsman%20Dandrymire%20Viaduct%20Garsdale%20270621-1400a.jpg

flying scotsman1.jpeg
The Ribblehead Viaduct carries the Settle to Carlisle railway across the Ribble Valley at Ribblehead, seen here with the majestic Flying Scotsman doing the honours.
-Oy-'s incredible photo inspired me, I came across this photo, taken after a ten year restoration of the engine.
flying scotsman.jpeg
Later this year my wife and I shall celebrate fifty-five years wed. We are booked onto a train hauled by Flying Scotsman on our wedding anniversary. Silver service, premier class, it's not every day that you can boast of crossing the famous Ribblehead Viaduct, behind the equally famous, Flying Scotsman, there again, it's not every day you can show the world the beautiful lady who said, "I do," fifty-five years ago.
We did something similar on our forty-fifth, taking in the European part of the route of The Orient Express.. We looked like this.
There's a few more photos if you want to see them.
DSCF5581.JPGDSCF5592.JPGDSCF5594.JPG

Ditto!!

Thanks @horseless carriage for reviving this one.
You are most welcome. Flying Scotsman wasn't doing the honours when these photos were taken but the engine in charge is impressive enough.

First up is The Pullman carriage that we were comfortably settled in:
DSCF5585.JPG
Attended to by a most wonderful Maitre "D."
DSCF5587.JPG
In fact all the serving staff were just amazing, attentive but not servile. How they made us feel so special.
DSCF5605.JPG
My wife and I love these sort of occasions, not that we need an excuse to dress up. Love it when others look the part too.

DSCF5598.JPG

And of course a very special mention to the team doing the hard work on that day.
DSCF5584.JPG

I have a wmv file of the last ride of the King Edward 1st and I wish I could post it here but file type unacceptable
Anyway I copied couple of the images to post.
Too bad as the sound of the engine and the toot toot really is great.
I just listen to it now and again. Just the chug chug and toot toot brings back memories for me

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 1.46.46 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 1.51.15 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 1.48.15 PM.jpg

Back