The Humming Bird in my yard

Aneeda72

I have a small, possibly baby, humming bird that visits the hard once a day, usually in the morning. It’s brown and very tiny. Today I went out to move my sprinkler and she was playing in the water, flying back and forth, up and down. She would start to fly away, then she’d turn around and race back to play some more.

I‘ve never seen one do this before and it was so enjoyable to watch. About 5 minutes later, she flew off, but she made my day. Glad I was home and outside to see the “show”.

We keep a couple feeders just a few feet from our porch, and we get "entertained" by the hummingbirds constantly. Those little rascals spend most of their time competing for a spot at the feeders, and probably quickly use up the energy they get from the sugar by squabbling with each other....but, they are sure fun to watch.
I used to wear an orange baseball cap when working outdoors, and constantly had one of these little birds circling around my head...thinking I was a big flower, I guess. Now, I wear caps of a neutral color, so I can get some work done without constantly "dodging".

Last edited:
We have a couple that visit..We have a feeder and a home made swing for them to land on..
OIP.AJqYBlzrGC-gQ9GmK0T6ZAHaJQ

When we had a hot tub on our back deck we used to have hummingbirds occasionally come over hover over the hot tub and look at us when we were in it.

My wife also used to have a hummingbird that would always drop by when she was watering and get some water from the spray.

My favorite hummingbird experience was in Costa Rica at a butterfly hatchery and exhibit. They has five big hummingbird feeders out in their hummingbird garden and there were dozens of hummingbirds darting in and out around the feeders. There were at least four or five different species of hummingbirds there. It was really cool to have them zip by your head on the way to the feeders.

I got to hold a hummingbird for a few seconds.
I heard my Yellow Lab barking insanely in the living room. I ran in there & saw him trying to get a hummingbird that flew into the house. He was at a big window. Luckily, there was a shelf in front of the window that prevented the dog from reaching him. He would have made a 3-second snack out of him.
I gently grabbed him & took him outside. He was really pretty - purple, yellow & red.

Back