The importance of play in childrens lives

grahamg

Old codger
Quote:

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy​

Research reaffirms childrens' need to play as part of their growth

"This study presents a compelling evidence that over the past 50 years—as children’s opportunities for free play and exploration have declined—there has been a dramatic rise in anxiety, depression, and suicide in young people, who have not had the opportunity that free play provides to find meaning and joy in life."

“Peter Gray is one of the world’s experts on the evolution of childhood play, and applies his encyclopaedic knowledge of psychology, and his humane voice, to the pressing issue of educational reform,” according to Steven Pinker, Harvard College Professor of Psychology and author of How the Mind Works.

https://completewellbeing.com/wellbeing-news/all-work-and-no-play-makes-jack-a-dull-boy/

I've always believed such, Graham.

My opinion of school at an early age, it should only be half a day (the morning), and there should be no homework attached to.

I'm sure it's the same for nearly everybody, but when I reflect on my childhood, it's the playtime and fun times that are most vivid in my mind, not school, not learning, not anything, play.

Another aspect related to school, after grade 9-10, I learned nothing that helped make me a better person, and nor did the additional wasted years help prepare me for life any more than I would have been prepared several years earlier.

Where I am going with my content on this is, the school system (in general) eats up far too much precious time in an average persons life.

This world has progressed in eating up and consuming every stitch of time in a person life today than ever before, leaving little time for play, enjoyment, exploration, travel, or anything else, and these integral aspects of a person's life apply not only to young and growing children but adults alike.

What I see in people today... society and the way of our world has turned most everyone into robots and machines, and IMO that isn't what life should be or consist of.

Last edited:

Back