The indignity of turning 76

mellowyellow

Today I had the most helpless feeling trying to renew my driving licence. The government have taken over. It's official - they have taken over my life. I drive a car and suddenly because I’d turned 76, I need an ok from my doctor and an okay from my eye doctor. I got hot and bothered to say the least . How dare they take away my power just because I’m getting older. These hoops to jump through in Australia will continue every year after you turn 75, both doctor and optometrist need to sign off before you are eligible for a new driving licence. Can’t explain the fury, it’s overwhelming.

I would be super ticked, too!

Was it your birthday today?

If so, Happy Birthday to you, Mellow!

76th-birthday-15.gif

Today I had the most helpless feeling trying to renew my driving licence. The government have taken over. It's official - they have taken over my life. I drive a car and suddenly because I’d turned 76, I need an ok from my doctor and an okay from my eye doctor. I got hot and bothered to say the least . How dare they take away my power just because I’m getting older. These hoops to jump through in Australia will continue every year after you turn 75, both doctor and optometrist need to sign off before you are eligible for a new driving licence. Can’t explain the fury, it’s overwhelming.
@mellowyellow my huz goes through this same rigmarole every year....but he does not go quietly if you get my drift
Huz was a professional Bus Driver for South Link for many years when we first moved into our new home
He had no trouble getting his medical and eyesight certificate when he was with South Link
When he eventually retired that was when he had all these hoops to jump through too
He feels exactly like you do 🤬

Last edited:
Well a happy birthday to you
AAA15AC5-324D-4F3A-B522-C09F099319DB.jpeg
I understand your concern. It must be so annoying being told you HAVE to make sure your health checks out right before being able to continue to drive but there’s a good reason for it.

At a certain age seniors can have minor strokes which they aren’t even aware of that could become potentially dangerous. They are quite common in aging seniors and if it happens, you not only risk your own life but the lives of others.

Both my parents had their licenses pulled due to it but my father kept driving due to stubbornness and dementia. It became a very dangerous ordeal after a while, to the point where I had to hide his car and his keys. It didn’t go over well at all.

I’m not at all suggesting you are anywhere near this stage but that’s why they need to check.

Last edited:
Today I had the most helpless feeling trying to renew my driving license. The government have taken over. It's official - they have taken over my life. I drive a car and suddenly because I’d turned 76, I need an ok from my doctor and an okay from my eye doctor. I got hot and bothered to say the least . How dare they take away my power just because I’m getting older. These hoops to jump through in Australia will continue every year after you turn 75, both doctor and optometrist need to sign off before you are eligible for a new driving license. Can’t explain the fury, it’s overwhelming.
I feel for you as I, too, do not like to be told what to do. Living where I do, driving began to be a chore...I kept getting lost on those country roads...the barns were full so no real place to park my car in the nasty elements so at the age of 77, I surrendered my driver's license, sold my car and began enjoying being chauffeured. Must admit, I do miss the independence but have adjusted.

@mellowyellow my huz goes through this same rigmarole every year....but he does not go quietly if you get my drift
Huz was a professional Bus Driver for South Link for many years when we first moved into our new home
He had no trouble getting his medical and eyesight certificate when he was with South Link
When he eventually retired that was when he had all these hoops to jump through too
He feels exactly like you do 🤬

Why is it OK to deny those under the age of 16 (in the US) the ability to drive? Isn't that just age based discrimination? . I live in the sticks. I can't hop on the subway. The nearest bus stop is three miles from me. Without the ability to drive, it costs me a small fortune just to get groceries, meds, and appointments. I'm 74, so I'm only two years behind mellowyellow. Yeah. you can get cute and say age is only a number. I am not 18 anymore. My body does not function like it did when I was 18. It's a fact of life. There are no 93 year. old sports team superstars. Given that the ability to drive is so important that some of us will push the limits of our bodies to the point that we are a danger to others on the road. I'm sure we've all been behind the old guy driving 20 miles an hour. Well if driving 40 is way beyond your ability to drive, you shouldn't be on the road, where you can kill others. You have to set a driving limit not just based on age, but physical ability. Thus, a doctor's note, and an eye doctor. And nobody likes having to do that. But as a society , which is better some temporary annoyance , or the carnage of avoidable car accidents.

Last edited:
Why is it OK to deny those under the age of 16 (in the US) the ability to drive? Isn't that just age based discrimination? . I live in the sticks. I can't hop on the subway. The nearest bus stop is three miles from me. Without the ability to drive, it costs me a small fortune just to get groceries, meds, and appointments. I'm 74, so I'm only two years behind mellowyellow. Yeah. you can get cute and say age is only a number. I am not 18 anymore. My body does not function like it did when I was 18. It's a fact of life. There are no 93 year. old sports team superstars. Given that the ability to drive is so important that some of us will push the limits of our bodies to the point that we are a danger to others on the road. I'm sure we've all been behind the old guy driving 20 miles an hour. Well if driving 40 is way beyond your ability to drive, you shouldn't be on the road, where you can kill others. You have to set a driving limit not just based on age, but physical ability. Thus, a doctor's note, and an eye doctor. And nobody likes having to do that. But as a society , which is better some temporary annoyance , or the carnage of avoidable car accidents.
I am back to Kenny Rogers...you have to know when to hold and when to fold! I knew when to fold thus surrendered my driver's license.

Why is it OK to deny those under the age of 16 (in the US) the ability to drive?
In Nebraska if they live in a rural area they can drive on the roads at 14.
This thread motivated me to look up the rules where I live and I'm horrified, here they are:

Nebraska. Once a driver reaches the age of 72, he or she must renew a driver’s license in person. Renewing online or by mail is no longer an option. During the in-person visit to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the elderly driver must also pass a vision test. The senior can choose to undergo a free vision test from a DMV employee or bring in a Statement of Vision from an outside ophthalmologist or optometrist. The Statement of Vision must have a date that is within 90 days of the DMV visit.
It is up to DMV personnel whether to require someone over 72 to also take a written and/or road driving test for driver’s license renewal. A staff member may require additional tests if the driver reports any medical problems or new health conditions, or if the driver was recently involved in a traffic accident. The DMV also accepts requests from the elderly driver’s family members to investigate the individual.

A year goes by too quickly. It seems excessive. We’re every 5 years here & there is a written test at 80.

I’m blind in one eye. When it happened, the Opthamologist said I’m still fine to drive. Lots of people, young or old, only have vision in one eye. I just don’t enjoy it anymore. If I feel too challenged, I’ll quit.

DH unscrewed something in my mother’s car so it wouldn’t start. He also warned the neighbours that she might ask for help, which she didn’t. I had to convince the doctor that she wasn’t fit to drive. He wasn’t fit to be a doctor any more. Finally, I was able to get her into a residence.

In Nebraska if they live in a rural area they can drive on the roads at 14.
This thread motivated me to look up the rules where I live and I'm horrified, here they are:

Nebraska. Once a driver reaches the age of 72, he or she must renew a driver’s license in person. Renewing online or by mail is no longer an option. During the in-person visit to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the elderly driver must also pass a vision test. The senior can choose to undergo a free vision test from a DMV employee or bring in a Statement of Vision from an outside ophthalmologist or optometrist. The Statement of Vision must have a date that is within 90 days of the DMV visit.
It is up to DMV personnel whether to require someone over 72 to also take a written and/or road driving test for driver’s license renewal. A staff member may require additional tests if the driver reports any medical problems or new health conditions, or if the driver was recently involved in a traffic accident. The DMV also accepts requests from the elderly driver’s family members to investigate the individual.
Thanks HoneyNut for the interesting info, I've just learnt there is another indignity I must go through, I got a letter from my doctor telling me I had to arrange an appointment for a "Health Assessment". Apparently you get asked questions like "spell world backwards." I hope I don't get a maths question, I'm hopeless at it.

Health assessment for people aged 75 years and older

A health assessment of an older person is an in-depth assessment of a patient aged 75 years and over. It provides a structured way of identifying health issues and conditions that are potentially preventable or amenable to interventions in order to improve health and/or quality of life.......

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/mbsprimarycare_mbsitem_75andolder

Apparently you get asked questions like "spell world backwards."
Oh gee, I've seen some of the example health assessments in YouTube videos and I think I better start practicing now and keep practicing the rest of my life because just being nervous that someone is judging me perhaps with an eye to taking away my control of my own life would psych me out so bad I would sit there unable to comprehend any of the questions.

Oh gee, I've seen some of the example health assessments in YouTube videos and I think I better start practicing now and keep practicing the rest of my life because just being nervous that someone is judging me perhaps with an eye to taking away my control of my own life would psych me out so bad I would sit there unable to comprehend any of the questions.
I would be so nervous!

Here I have to get a new licence every 3 years after I reached
70, because I have lorry, mini-bus, plus trailer, I have had to
get a medical every time and I have to pay for it, last time my
licence was returned valid for only 1 year, I contacted them to
ask why, I ticked a wrong box, then I was told that for the type
of licence I had, I didn't need a medical every time, it would be
renewed without one.

Mike.

I'll be 79 next month.

During the night I woke up to a sound I didn't recognize. 🤨
Finally decided it was myself,, snoring like my grandfather!

What the heck,,my writing is like my dad's !
When I wear a ball cap,, I Look like my dad!

Does that mean,, I 'might' live to be 100?

Dad was few a months short of 101 when he died.🧑‍🦰
Sure happy I do not snore like my Dad but with you, why not...all family?

It’s always been that way here, if you have certain medical conditions doc must sigh forms. I am 74 and docs been signing forms for at least 15 years.

Thanks HoneyNut for the interesting info, I've just learnt there is another indignity I must go through, I got a letter from my doctor telling me I had to arrange an appointment for a "Health Assessment". Apparently you get asked questions like "spell world backwards." I hope I don't get a maths question, I'm hopeless at it.
I get that every year from my doctor. She asked me what the date was today when I was there, I said I had no ideal. With Covid and no place to go and nothing to do I asked her, why do I need to know the date? What day of the week is it, Friday. Ok she said. well, duh. 😂

Last edited:

Back