The influence of immigrants on food

I just read that you love Rouliaden… That takes me back many many years when my neighbor across the street was German....
She taught me to make Rouliaden….
Being I am Italian I gave her some Italian dishes to make....I miss my friend!! We moved away when the kids were young and
never went back....
Hi peppermint, You can make a roulade for me. LOL I have never had one but assume that they are delicious! I used it as an example of something that wasn't eaten in my neck of the woods at the time I left for Canada.

Hi peppermint, You can make a roulade for me. LOL I have never had one but assume that they are delicious! I used it as an example of something that wasn't eaten in my neck of the woods at the time I left for Canada.
Awe!!! I have to say, I haven't made Rouladen in many years....It's just me and husband....Kids are alll married.....Now I think I'll make Rouladen…..Even though I don't eat meat...My husband will eat anything!!!! By the way, I was walking the other day in our resort, a lady came up to me and asked how long do I live here...I told her and she asked me where I came from....I told her...So we started talking, she told me she was from Canada....More people come to the South in the winter from Canada....Nice to meet you Old Salt...

Awe!!! I have to say, I haven't made Rouladen in many years....It's just me and husband....Kids are alll married.....Now I think I'll make
Rouladen…..Even though I don't eat meat...My husband will eat anything!!!! By the way, I was walking the other day in our resort, a lady
came up to me and asked how long do I live here...I told her and she asked me where I came from....I told her...So we started talking,
she told me she was from Canada....More people come to the South in the winter from Canada....Nice to meet you Old Salt...

Nice meeting you, too, peppermint! Since we are on the subject of food, I have never tasted Southern food but always drool when I read about it. So if you want to send me anything "chicken fried" I'll take that instead of the Rouladen! Since you don't eat meat I think your husband would enjoy it if you whipped up a bit extra of the good stuff for him! LOL

Growing up, I think my mother had a repertoire of about 10 dishes, none of which had onion, garlic, or much in the way of any herbs or spices. If I ate ethnic food, it was Polish or Czech. Never had Chinese food except chow mein out of a can. I will never forget my first encounter with a real Chinese (American) restaurant. I think I heard angels singing. Ditto for my first taco! Now, we love all different kinds of ethnic food. We are particularly fond of Asian cuisines.

I was brought up on German and Czech food but lived in an Italian neighborhood. I loved it all. After being sentenced to a gluten free diet in later years I became fond of Asian and Mexican foods. Cornstarch, beans,and cornmeal are my friends as long as the foods aren't to spicy.

I'm not sure but I think pizza was invented in the U.S.A.

I remember my first experience with pizza. It was an Italian family and they had boarders who made it. It was mostly fish. Anchovies and sardines and such.

Pizza now is a staple. And it's good. Best I ever tasted was in New England at a small resteraunt called Nashoba Pizza.

My family were immigrants from Eastern Europe. My grandma made chow chow, pierogis, stuffed cabbage. My other grandma loved to make dumplings and chicken or chicken paprikash. They always had keilbasa, too.

It's funny to hear Americans talking about immigrants! When Europeans first settled in America (they were immigrants), they surely took their own cuisine with them. So the English, Dutch, Spanish etc. each had a different diet. The Italians are still known for their ice-cream and pasta, the French for their pastries and so on.
We were first introduced to Eastern food after the Crusaders brought spices back to Europe. Our ventures in Eastern countries awakened our enjoyment of curried foods, which we then brought back to our own countries.
In other words Europeans have enjoyed spices and spicy foods for centuries before America was discovered.

If I could figure out how to reply to posts, I would.
Marie5656: poutine is from Quebec, I believe. My son gets it at Costco - the best place in my opinion. Fries, add cheese curds (mozzarella), add hot gravy and it melts the cheese into the fries. It can be very good.
Old Salt: I found a recipe for Yorkshire Pudding and I make it once in awhile. Bangers and mash are sausage and mashed potatoes - they are good too. As for liver and onions, I guess you would need to find a butcher who could supply it. I have also made Rouladen.

Marie5656: poutine is from Quebec, I believe. My son gets it at Costco - the best place in my opinion. Fries, add cheese curds (mozzarella), add hot gravy and it melts the cheese into the fries. It can be very good.
Old Salt: I found a recipe for Yorkshire Pudding and I make it once in awhile. Bangers and mash are sausage and mashed potatoes - they are good too. As for liver and onions, I guess you would need to find a butcher who could supply it. I have also made Rouladen.
Hi Marie, (should be IrisSenior) just click on the "post reply" in the other person's window and make sure the +quote is on. If you leave +quote on as default it will always contain the other person's message. I had a hard time with it too until I found out only yesterday how to do it!

Last edited:
Oops, I thought it was Marie who didn't know how to respond to posts. Please see my latest post to Marie for a solution!

My family were immigrants from Eastern Europe. My grandma made chow chow, pierogis, stuffed cabbage. My other grandma loved to make dumplings and chicken or chicken paprikash. They always had keilbasa, too.
I love Pierogies. Did anyone ever try browned butter over pierogies or pasta? Gives both a heavenly taste. Might be hard on the heart though!

I love Pierogies. Did anyone ever try browned butter over pierogies or pasta? Gives both a heavenly taste. Might be hard on the heart though!
Add a side of ice cold chunky applesauce to help balance things out.

images

Well I really don't like that kind of stuff anyway. But my friend has it when we are at Mc Donalds.

He thrives on stuff soaked in gravy.

Curds in themselves are salty. I make stuff at home because I can regulate the salt.

Back