The Information Super Highway....it’ll never catch on!

I love watching old tech stories such as this ! The Internet Archive website has a tech show from the 80's and 90's that use to play on public access stations. It is fascinating watch those shows 30-40 years later.
I "lived" in this technology world during my working years. I started out fixing punched card machines in the 1960's, and finished my career working on huge water cooled mainframe computers, about 20 years ago. The advances that have been made since I retired are almost mind boggling....were I to try to return to work today, I would have to start from scratch. At the rate that tech is advancing, I can't imagine what the world will look like by the end of this century.

Excellent preview of what has come to be.

After a decade plus in Silicon Valley UNIX computer engineering, shortly after that 1994 tv program, I worked 6 years at Cisco Systems, midrange router engineering business division, the 800 pound gorilla, at the start of the Internet. We are at the knee of the most incredible period of communication in human history. Note to be clear, was not a design engineer as dozens of other technical personnel are involved. My specialty was complex troubleshooting of prototype development using much complex test equipment and software tools.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone ever claimed that the information super highway will never catch on. It was a hit from the very start.

I built my first website around 1995 and led a team in college that developed a web-based educational game for a major bookstore. I also worked on a NASA project in the mid-2000s that's used for weather forecasting. I owned my own Web development company for about a dozen years and finally shut it down about five years ago.

These days, I'd rather build furniture than websites. One of the problems with software is, it's intangible. You can't touch it or hold it in your hands. And it's often obsolete after a few years. Building furniture is much more gratifying.

Back