The Magic Frig

hearlady

Ready for Spring!
I remember this was on a food blog or something.
The idea is to keep your frig filled with healthy ingredients that you can turn into soups, salads, bowls, stir fry etc. easily.
I do a version of that. Today I made Barley Pilaf. I try to keep a grain like that or brown rice, quinoa, etc. on hand. Or pasta.
Beans, chickpeas, lentils or the like are another. Homemade or canned.
I made a big bowl of steamed broccoli.
A batch of blueberry jam to add to overnight oats.
I keep peppers and cucumbers cut up and ready.
Then chicken cooked on the George Foreman or another kind of meat. Venison is in the crock pot today.
I've found I like bowls now more than salad. Take some of the grain, a few beans, chicken, cheese, greens, and maybe a oil, lemon, and crushed garlic dressing.
I feel better since all the holiday goodies are out of the house!
Does anyone else do this?

I fix carrot sticks, celery and peppers in ice water and use them as a quick healthy side. In the summer I keep fresh berries and melon prepped and ready to eat.

I have moved away from traditional green salads because the dressings that I enjoy tend to make the salad a high calorie option. I usually prepare whatever fresh vegetables the market has on special or the inexpensive frozen vegetables. I cook enough to last a couple of days so all I need to do is scoop and heat a portion in the microwave.

I try to include two low starch/carb vegetables in each meal, including breakfast, that helps me to control my calories and blood sugar.

I also do much better when I have a loose plan of my meals for the week. If I don't have a plan I tend to make poor choices and it usually takes me a few days to get back on track.

I still like to keep a simple treat in the biscuit tin. A couple of cookies with a cup of tea or a half cup of fat free milk makes me feel like I'm still in the game!

I like to keep a big container of hummus in the frig and plenty of fresh-baked pita breads to eat with it. I make several different varieties of hummus so I never get tired of it.

I also cook chickpeas and beans and keep them in the refrigerator.

I keep lots of hard-boiled eggs, radishes, cucumbers, beets and other vegetables and fruits on hand so I can throw together quick meals that really satisfy me. Cooked grains are great for reheating. If I have chicken I'll precook it so I can either eat it cold or warm it quickly.

I never get tired of Buddha bowls, maybe because I keep them varied.

I still work so it makes it so easy to throw together healthy meals to take and a fast meal when I get home.
Yes Jane boiled eggs are great. I halve them and sprinkle with curry or chili powder for mid morning. Hummus is great too.
Aunt Bea, I know what you mean about the dressings. My husband grows lettuce most of the year and I get tired of salads. I throw it in smoothies if I need to use it up.

Back