The meaning of “Bobs your uncle”

Moochie

I think I got that right. Have heard this phrase a few times while watching shows on Brit Box.
Can someone enlighten me on its meaning and perhaps give an example.I’ve tried looking it up
and end up more confused. Have only heard it on British shows so I assume it’s British slang.

The only reference I know of is in the movie Terminator 2, when John Connor introduced the Terminator as "Uncle Bob" to some friends of his mother's. Funny scene.

Here's what I found on the internet:

"The origin of the expression “Bob’s your uncle” comes from the early 1900s. the phrase first appears in print in the bill for a musical revue in Dundee named “Bob’s Your Uncle.” The promotion for the revue appeared in the Scottish newspaper “The Angus Evening Telegraph” in 1924.

The artist John P. Long published a song in 1931 with “Bob’s your uncle” featured in the lyrics. Florrie Forde sang and recorded the track, launching her into the music hall artiste in the early 20th century.

'Bob’s your uncle,
Follow your Uncle Bob.
He knows what to do
He’ll look after you.'

Eric Partridge wrote “A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English,” published in 1937. He notes the phrase comes from circa 1890, but there is no evidence supporting his claim. The earliest recordings of the expression date back to the 1920s and would not appear in newspapers until after WWII. "

The origins are uncertain, but a common theory is that the expression arose after Conservative Prime Minister Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury ("Bob") appointed his nephew Arthur Balfour as Chief Secretary for Ireland in 1887, an act of nepotism, which was apparently both surprising and unpopular. I have read that in spite of the suspicions of nepotism, Balfour proved to be capable in his role.

The first time I heard this phrase was a number of years ago on an Info-mercial for the "Magic Bullet". This British guy was demonstrating how fast it chops, blends etc. to a group of people who appeared to have all stayed overnight at this house with a big kitchen.

When he finished mixing something (so very fast) he said "Bob's your uncle". It was very funny.

I found it on YT.. it's rather long, but it's kind of funny, too. Especially Hazel who comes in wearing a a duster, and holding a nasty-looking fake cigarette.

He doesn't say "Bob's your uncle" until about 7:47.

Last edited:
Original poster here
Thank you all for your replies.
I think I get the idea of the saying. No need to try and figure out who Bob is or who calls him uncle.
Love watching these shows and next time I hear it I think I’ll get the drift.
Now about those Scottish or Irish brogues——✌️
It is what it is !

I love British slang.

My two favorites are:
"Pigs might fly," meaning highly unlikely. Something you might say to your friend who just said he was expecting to win the lottery.
and
"If wishes were horses we'd all ride."

I like to mix them up and say, "If wishes were pigs we'd all fly."

Used regularly in Australia.
Used after giving simple instructions to someone.
Heat the oil to correct temperature, place chips in basket, immerse into oil slowly, fry for recommended time and Bob's your Uncle, crispy chips.

I think it's funny that some of you are saying you only heard the phrase relatively recently when I've known it all my life. Granted that's only 35 years but hey... 😁

Back