The most important part of Christmas

The reason for the season is 'axial tilt'. This is why we have the solstices and equinoxes. The Winter Solstice on 22nd. Dec is the start of Yuletide when for thousands of years people have celebrated the Sun being at its lowest point and then rising again to start a new year. The 25th. Dec was the Roman festival of "Sol Invictus" and it is believed that this date was chosen as "Christmas" in a.d. 336 to fit in with existing Pagan beliefs.

Some people celebrate the 25th as a Christian festival. I celebrate the period as a Natural one and go along with Wren's view. It's a time to be with friends and family. A time to reflect on the past year and look forward to the new one.

Last edited:
Christmas for me was a time of family getting together and shared memories. It gets harder every year for me now as parents are gone, 2 sisters have passed away; 2 brothers have dementia and the remaining don't want to bother anymore. I feel like if I didn't initiate get-togethers with my immediate family and my daughter's family, no one would bother. It gets so depressing. Sigh...sorry to be such a downer.

IrisSenior, I sympathise with your situation.. Our parents passed away many years ago and we've lost contact with other family members. Sadly, several residents of the village have passed away recently, some are in poor health, and others have lost elderly parents. In a small village where most people know each other, it casts a shadow over what should be a more joyous time.

I'm grateful that we still have a close relationship with our own children, although our daughters live some distance away. I hope you get things sorted out and you have a brighter time ahead.

Back