The Murder of Jill Dando

The cowardly ways of individuals behind the deaths of people like this, I hope a special place awaits them, one where they get no rest, no reprieve, and bubble and boil for eternity.

I watch a programme called 'Cold Cases'. Can't remember the name of the woman who works on the cases but I always hope that she, and others on the case, will bring a person to justice who thinks they have got away with it. Many of the cases go back years hence the name of the prog (duh Ros). The fact that DNA and other progressive techniques of detection have been made, fills me with hope that they will get the perpetrators eventually. It is heart breaking to see how the families have suffered for years in these cold cases. The not knowing must be agonizing.
I often wonder why lie detectors had not been used in the early years but will have to google the date of their use. I always think that would be a starting point for investigation, but obviously not total proof.
Will work through the cases you have listed @Aunt Marg as I find criminology fascinating. I studied it at Poly/Uni but that was many many years ago and I wrote papers on nature/nurture arguments around why people commit crime and old methods e.g shape of face/head/body in determining a potential criminal, but research has moved on and so have I. ;)

@Mike - There was a recent prog on TV trying to establish who may have killed her. But theories abound. Suggestions were the Mafia because she was involved in some research in that area and/or the fact that she was on Crime Watch and some 'nutter' may have taken offence. I think she was weeks away from getting married. So so sad. You have noted the Wiki reference with all other details but like you I was shocked at her death. It just seemed so pointless. The nature of the death by shooting always gets to me. Too precise and too personal!!!???:unsure:

I watch a programme called 'Cold Cases'. Can't remember the name of the woman who works on the cases but I always hope that she, and others on the case, will bring a person to justice who thinks they have got away with it. Many of the cases go back years hence the name of the prog (duh Ros). The fact that DNA and other progressive techniques of detection have been made, fills me with hope that they will get the perpetrators eventually. It is heart breaking to see how the families have suffered for years in these cold cases. The not knowing must be agonizing.
I often wonder why lie detectors had not been used in the early years but will have to google the date of their use. I always think that would be a starting point for investigation, but obviously not total proof.
Will work through the cases you have listed @Aunt Marg as I find criminology fascinating. I studied it at Poly/Uni but that was many many years ago and I wrote papers on nature/nurture arguments around why people commit crime and old methods e.g shape of face/head/body in determining a potential criminal, but research has moved on and so have I. ;)

@Mike - There was a recent prog on TV trying to establish who may have killed her. But theories abound. Suggestions were the Mafia because she was involved in some research in that area and/or the fact that she was on Crime Watch and some 'nutter' may have taken offence. I think she was weeks away from getting married. So so sad. You have noted the Wiki reference with all other details but like you I was shocked at her death. It just seemed so pointless. The nature of the death by shooting always gets to me. Too precise and too personal!!!???:unsure:
How I would have loved to become something in life. Always thought what an interesting and engaging profession a Forensic Pathologist would be. If only I could go back and do my life over again.

It is amazing how sometimes decades pass and suddenly out of nowhere comes an old cold case solve. Those are my favourite.

Back