The New Me

CJK Ross

What are these hands I see? With their swollen joints and protruding purple veins, their boney backs wrapped in crepe paper skin. They conjure a distant memory of my mother’s aged hands. But this is now. These hands are mine. This is the new me. Today, I face this reality head-on and own it: I have grown old.

Dont think of yourself as being old, think of yourself as wiser n enjoy each day as it comes! 😊

What are these hands I see? With their swollen joints and protruding purple veins, their boney backs wrapped in crepe paper skin. They conjure a distant memory of my mother’s aged hands. But this is now. These hands are mine. This is the new me. Today, I face this reality head-on and own it: I have grown old.
Don't listen to these cheerful Pollyannas. It sucks being old! Since it is reality, I like to laugh about it as much as possible! 😄
IMO, complain as much as you want. I hear ya.

Care to introduce yourself?

full

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Pepper - yes - it definitely helps to have companions on this journey.

I tend to have trouble sleeping (nothing new, a lifelong condition) and one sleepless night a few years ago, I was writing in a journal and suddenly became aware of my mother's aged hands at the ends of my own arms. Of course I knew I was old, but it was a startling moment all the same. In thinking about how I will navigate this phase of my life I looked for daily reflections or meditations on aging and couldn't find anything. So I began to write some. I have quite a collection of them and have no interest in publishing or marketing this writing. But I would like to share with people who might find them meaningful.

Not sure if I should just continue on this thread, as a response to my first post or start a new thread for each new thought? For now I'll continue, but please let me know if there's a better way to post each reflection. And if my thoughts aren't your cup of tea, I will not be offended. I'm a tough- skinned, retired human resources manager.

Last edited:
Time
How did this happen? What dark magic has transformed me? Time. The passage of time has done this to me. And in considering this strange state of affairs what I feel – surprisingly – is gratitude. Not for the decrepitude of my hands, which ache in writing these lines. But a deep and abiding gratitude for time, this mysterious medium in which we live out our lives. Today, I give thanks for the gift of time.

Back