On-ice cameraman at the IIHF under 20 world hockey championship is making news himself

jimintoronto

Camouflaged cameraman a hit at world juniors: 'I have the best seat in the house' (msn.com) The camera man is dressed all in white and so is his camera, so he blends in to the ice when he comes out during TV time outs, and after a goal is scored. The players love it during warmups when he zooms in and follows them as the do their pre game individual drills . During play the camera man sits in the penalty box, waiting to jump out and cover the action during stops in play. The International Ice Hockey Federation has adopted the idea of the on ice camera, and perhaps the NHL will follow suit. The NHL has experimented with miniature helmet cams worn by the official during pre season exhibition games, so who knows ? JimB.

I knew a man who took photos from the sidelines at kids' (ages toddler to teen) hockey tournaments. The photos were of individual players, so I guess he used a zoom.

He had a partner in the lobby who chose the best photos, dressed them up with special effects (lightning bolts and so on), and sold them to the parents.

This was around Bruce and Grey Counties, just little towns. But there was a tournament somewhere every weekend during the winter, and they made plenty of money.

I knew a man who took photos from the sidelines at kids' (ages toddler to teen) hockey tournaments. The photos were of individual players, so I guess he used a zoom.

He had a partner in the lobby who chose the best photos, dressed them up with special effects (lightning bolts and so on), and sold them to the parents.

This was around Bruce and Grey Counties, just little towns. But there was a tournament somewhere every weekend during the winter, and they made plenty of money.
That kind of died out when digital cameras came on the market and you didn't need to have film developed at a shop. One of the new business models is a trailer that can be made air tight, that has a germ killing process, for hockey equipment. The process kills the flesh eating microbes that can develop on sweaty athletic equipment. The trailer costs about $30,000 to set up, but the teams like being able to clean all of the players equipment in an hour, and each player's cost is around $18 times 22 players, equals about $400 to the service provider. The same equipment process is used by Fire Departments on their fire fighting gear to get out the sweat and smoke odors, once a month. Some hockey arenas have the cleaning equipment in the skate sharpening shop area. Professional sports team buy their own equipment cleaning rooms and have them installed in their home arenas. Its a big business now. JimB.

Back