The roof is leaking

I hope your roof is not planked. My estimates were 22,000 without the cost of plywood, redoing rain gutters, and facets. It is a nightmare. Putting it off for another couple years, but I might sell. I am seriously thinking of doing so.

Meanwhile, if you have a staple gun, or can borrow one, cover that inside area with sheets of heavy plastic and staple it up there. Big trash bags would do. At least that would minimize wood damage/rot. I'd advise covering the roof with some tarp, but I wouldn't want you climbing around up there.

I saw some wet streaks on the upstairs hallway wall. Went into the attic to look at the point over this and was horrified to find the back roof was all wet. Try to find a roofer on a holiday weekend!

View attachment 167466
Based upon this picture, IF you do find a roofer, they will most certainly have to replace this rotted wood...at a Substantial cost.

Every time I turn on the TV news I hard about skyrocketing costs of building materials.
My brother had precisely the same problem over his kitchen and the ceiling looked a lot like your photo. He wound up having to borrow $10,000 to get it repaired. That was about 12 years ago, Deb.

Seriously, Gary O is right, you need to get that area of the roof (and then some) covered with tarp ASAP. And put some plastic sheets over the inside, like I said up there somewhere. The quicker you minimize the damage and the spread of moisture, the more money you'll save. Tarping alone could save you a few thousand.

My brother had precisely the same problem over his kitchen and the ceiling looked a lot like your photo. He wound up having to borrow $10,000 to get it repaired. That was about 12 years ago, Deb.

Seriously, Gary O is right, you need to get that area of the roof (and then some) covered with tarp ASAP. And put some plastic sheets over the inside, like I said up there somewhere. The quicker you minimize the damage and the spread of moisture, the more money you'll save. Tarping alone could save you a few thousand.
Adding to your great post, Mur, tarping is only a temporary fix, a band-aid.

I emailed a realtor acquaintance and asked if he knew any good local roofers. I called the one he said did his house, but they can't come until next week.
Hey, if you know someone who can be there when they come to give you an estimate, someone who can make sure you're not taken advantage of, call them.

Back