The Second Stimulus Deal Was Announced Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
By Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and is expected to pass. Here are the highlights:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/congressional-leaders-strike-long-awaited-225427909.html
Remember, let's not turn this into a political discussion although it's hard not to because each stimulus package is/was governed by politics. This post is for informational purposes.

Good! The rich got bailed out. The rest of us should get a few bucks, too!

But $600 isn't nearly enough for those out of work through no fault of their own.
I was thinking the same thing. Won't pay a months rent in most places. I heard 300 dollars a week stimulus for unemployed. That should help. I work part time and I'm grateful to be essential even if my job exposes me to the virus (medical field)

True but then again there are people living on S.S.I. and that income is under 800.00 per month.
Yes, and some of them have families. But I meant retired people on straight SS, some of whom also have a retirement income. I would rather see them get a reduction on their Medicare premiums or increased Medicare benefits, if anything at all.

The reasoning is: set amount of dollars allocated for people divided by the number of people. Reduce the number of people and the sum given to each remaining person increases.

So, math.
Then you obviously don't understand our government. It's like when people used to complain "Oh why spend money on space, when we can use it here for poor people?" No they wouldn't, don't hold your breath. If they cut out certain people, they would lower the amount given, or maybe use it for a tax break for the ubers. Or, haven't you been paying attention for 65 years?

Then you obviously don't understand our government. It's like when people used to complain "Oh why spend money on space, when we can use it here for poor people?" No they wouldn't, don't hold your breath. If they cut out certain people, they would lower the amount given. Or, haven't you been paying attention for 65 years?
The total amount was preset, in the bill, before it was passed. They hadn't done an exact head-count yet, they had a ballpark figure and that's how they came up with the "estimate" of $1200. Had they chosen to allocate the money to fewer recipients, they would have no choice but to give the remaining recipients more...either that or go back and rewrite the bill.

They would go back and rewrite the bill. Don't go by what *I* say, go by what you've seen in your life.
Pepper, in so many words you're saying I'm stupid. I wrote that I don't see why retired people on soc.sec are included as stimulus check recipients and that if we weren't then it would have meant bigger checks for others. I guess I should have said "maybe" or "could have" or qualified it with "if congress was nice." In any case, hereafter I want you to know I'm not stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back