The Spanish Flu

Those were tough years in America.

Dr. Samual Crumbine of Kansas championed some of the public health changes to stop the spread of influenza and tuberculosis.

00056901.jpg
1584966575923.jpeg
c51f85dca0466c34bc46c37a978bfea3.jpg
1584966603131.jpeg

The Spanish Flu is well worth studying as a historical reference and an analogue to current times. My father was a young boy during that epidemic; he survived, and I've often pondered that I wouldn't be here had he not...
My grandparents were alive then.About ten years old they all were.

Aunt Bea, the roller towel was still around long after the flu epidemic. I can remember leaving public restrooms with wet hands because that was the only option for drying and I'm only 86
I remember those continuous roller towels in the metal cabinets too.

1584988805320.jpeg

I believe that they were/are considered a sanitary advancement over these old-style roller towels where you just looked for a clean dry spot.

1584988781651.jpeg

I watched a tv documentary recently on all the pandemic viruses that circulated thru the U.S. and the world.....Spanish Flu was brutal with the extreme suffering and high amounts of death it caused.

Thank you, Furry, for your video, which is informative and sobering. I've read (and now heard) that the Spanish Flu globally killed at least fifty million people, far more than died during WWI and several other wars combined. That's a ponderous number of people considering that the global population was much less then than now. It hit people fast and hard, and they literally could not keep up with burying all of the victims....it could prove fatal within twelve hours!

Thank you, Furry, for your video, which is informative and sobering. I've read (and now heard) that the Spanish Flu globally killed at least fifty million people, far more than died during WWI and several other wars combined. That's a ponderous number of people considering that the global population was much less then than now. It hit people fast and hard, and they literally could not keep up with burying all of the victims....it could prove fatal within twelve hours!
I will get shot down for saying this-But when you look at that and compare how many corana virus has infected and killed so far is this worse than then?Given how much bigger the world population is now.Alright we have a way to go yet but when it's all over it will interesting to compare the two.And I am not downplaying the seriousness of the situation we are in.
And I suggest people look up the part of Pepys diary where he is talking about Bubonic Plague.They had trouble persuading people to stay indoors then too....And remember we are all alive because people survived the Spanish flu.It did not kill everyone and not everyone got it.

I will get shot down for saying this-But when you look at that and compare how many corana virus has infected and killed so far is this worse than then?Given how much bigger the world population is now.Alright we have a way to go yet but when it's all over it will interesting to compare the two.And I am not downplaying the seriousness of the situation we are in.
And I suggest people look up the part of Pepys diary where he is talking about Bubonic Plague.They had trouble persuading people to stay indoors then too....And remember we are all alive because people survived the Spanish flu.It did not kill everyone and not everyone got it.

Like you admitted, we're just in the beginning. As for the Spanish Flu,it was made worse because it was war time and troops were being moved everywhere, cramped in ships and barracks and foxholes. As far as they know, that flu started in Kansas with an army cook and they thought it was ''just the flu". Quarantine is the best deterrent, it lessens the spread of the virus. Hope it goes away soon, but it will come back in the fall, read my link in post #7.

In 1957 I was on a Navy ship going from Gibraltar to Norfolk VA. The flu went around the ship. We were transporting 300 Marines and our crew was about 125. Some were so sick they could not get out of their bunks. I only had a mild case so I stood watches in one of the engine rooms.

Back