The TPP and We Get Screwed Again.

Debby

So remember when our governments were promoting the TPP as being soooooooo good for us all? Great for the economy, we gotta do it, we'll be happy if we do!

Well a think tank call Tufts Global Development and Environment Institute in Boston is saying otherwise and in fact it's pointing to job losses in ten years, totalling anywhere from 6,000 (New Zealand) to 39,000 (Australia) to 448,000 for the USA and 58,000 in Canada! Does that sound good to anybody? This apparently will come about as corporations have to streamline to be competitive and the first choice way they do that is to get rid of workers. So once again, corporations (CEO's) will be blessed and the workers will get screwed! We of course, being at the end of our days (sort of) won't feel this as significantly I guess, but maybe we should be giving young people advice on how to 'bend over for the least discomfort'.

If this study is true, we've been had again folks and the corporations are coming out on top yet again as our governments continue to try convincing us that they care. Yeah right.

So when they were talking about the TPP, how did all you folks feel about this? Were you in favour or were you extremely suspicious. I for one was suspicious (they told us the same baloney about NAFTA and that didn't work out the way they promised either as far as I'm concerned).

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/0...?utm_hp_ref=canada-business&utm_hp_ref=canada

That's also a huge problem in Canada Butterfly. My understanding is that where we used to have a robust manufacturing sector in Ontario mostly, when NAFTA came in, a good percentage of those jobs went to Mexico (Mexico, Canada and the US are signed on to NAFTA) and I guess with changes in China, those jobs finally left Mexico too (lucky China eh?) and now the manufacturing sectors in the North American countries are toast.

And now the corporations have gotten the governments of our seven countries to embrace this TPP bull**** and the workers will again pay the price! So far Canada hasn't signed on to the thing and I'm not an economist so I don't know what the ramifications would be if one country out of seven refused it, but seriously, this is not a good thing.

You know, these corporate and government idiots are going to paint themselves into a corner where the only way to keep the masses from a complete (French type) revolution is to start providing guaranteed incomes. So can you picture it, the Wall Street bull with a few dozen (always busy) guillotines? Bay Street with their own guillotines and so on for each country?

There won't be enough jobs for the people that exist but then they'll probably introduce something into the water that will sterilize us all and that will take care of that problem won't it?

"TPP" goes unrecognized in my limited little mind.

However, NAFTA does not. Pushed very, very hard for implementation by Bill Clinton, now you speak of it with lingering doubt, at best. Another of the boondoggles which hurt Americans, and today he is sort of deified.

DE-fies logic, AFAIC. imp

As Butterfly said, the TPP or Trans Pacific Partnership is a trade agreement between seven (?) countries and it's supposed to benefit 'the countries' that sign by opening up or eliminating barriers to trade. That's what they told us about NAFTA. But now, before the TPP is signed, this research institute called Tufts says that the result of it (in ten years time) will be 777,000 jobs lost all told! With the US losing 4448,000, Canada losing 58,000 and Australia losing 39,000 respectively and the rest of the loss being in several smaller countries.

In all likelihood, the only ones that will benefit from this will be large corporations and CEO's specifically. These are the guys that bend the ear of the politicians. And the politicians job is to sell the idea of free trade to us citizens (who aren't privy to all the numbers and info) so that we won't complain. Only years later, we're left to wonder 'what ever happened to all the jobs that they promised us when they were peddling the NAFTA/TPP?'

"Only years later, we're left to wonder 'what ever happened to all the jobs that they promised us when they were peddling the NAFTA/TPP?'"

Guess I fail to understand that need exists for trade agreements, when the countries involved are already trading for years and years. UNLESS, of course, the agreement guarantees that no participating nation may impose sanctions restricting certain types of trade: arms or food, for example. Sanctions have always been used to block undesired activities in lieu of war, for example.

Who then is the specific "loser" as a result of sanctions? The people, of course. NAFTA was viewed critically by the doomsday prophets before passage as likely creating havoc on our highways, as thousands of improperly-maintained trucks (poor brakes, etc.) would be allowed across the border to cause death and destruction. That did not really happen, but plenty of uninspected produce comes in, as well as other foodstuffs, perhaps laden with DDT. Ag inspection cannot possibly cover 100%, maybe not even half. And, so it goes. imp

I think it's touted as being important because it eliminates tariffs (taxes?) on goods coming and going between the countries. And where one country previously didn't allow certain goods in, with the TPP, those goods will now be allowed in. It's not about sanctions.

And now according to Tufts, it will mean more job losses which is something that none of our countries need!

And I totally forgot about the free trade agreement that they're putting through with the EU! And numerous EU citizens and watch dog groups are against that one because it allows investors to do 'damage' in other countries and not be help accountable. No suing for repair or replacement kind of thing (or cleaning up their toxic industrial mess?)! What ever happened to the philosophy of 'treading lightly upon the land' wherever it is and being responsible (for your corporate actions)!

Debby, it all sounds terribly complex. That must mean it is based upon evil intent, don't you think? Evil with respect to effect upon common folk, wonderfully valuable to the common folk, as voiced by jurisdiction. imp

Evil intent....neglect of the greater good....lack of consideration and respect for one another at every level....all symptoms of total disconnection from one another in societies. The fix? I have no idea except as someone great once said, 'Be the change you would see'. What else can you do?

Back