The Villages in Central Florida vs active adult communities in South Florida

Glad I missed seeing that ...... oh man not a great visual. Ha ha ha
Yeah, taking a walk in that town square after dark could certainly be "hazardous to your health". Its like the old joke about the Jewish lady walking in NYC and an old man comes up in a raincoat and flips it open to his naked body. She says "and you call that a lining already?!"

You've all given me a lot to think about. I realized it was crowded when we stopped by for a day in April, buy hadn't thought about it getting worse.

You've all given me a lot to think about. I realized it was crowded when we stopped by for a day in April, buy hadn't thought about it getting worse.
Yes, that's how it goes with developers...they just keep sticking up "stick houses" wherever they have the land...cram them together and get more houses per acre. That's where its at for the bucks for them. Privacy also goes south on you.

I would never swap my wife for another woman ...I would take something I could really use like a new drum set or new deep sea fishing rod
Hey math, you better be doing the "math" better on that trade! If she sees this just remember, you gotta sleep sometime.

mathjak...have heard that from others, and you'd better get a golf kart, many of which are really "tricked out" by the owners...lol.
Also heard those "parades" and festivals they keep having get real old after a while. Know one couple that sold out, because of too many people moving in too close to them and, well, it just got overall too "too", and moved into a mixed age community in Tampa area - they like where they live now. Guess you have to look ahead 10 years and say "what could this place be like and will I be tired of living this lifestyle or not".
My problem with "mixed age" communities is that I am very shy and have a hard time making friends. I feel that a 55+ community would have enough planned activities that I could meet and get to know people without scaring myself silly. We lived in several houses and apartments (my husband was in the Navy) during our marriage and I would know the next door neighbors (sometimes) and that's about it. I'm thinking 55+ communities would be like high school; there was DRAMA and cliques , but it was where I had the most friends.

My problem with "mixed age" communities is that I am very shy and have a hard time making friends. I feel that a 55+ community would have enough planned activities that I could meet and get to know people without scaring myself silly. We lived in several houses and apartments (my husband was in the Navy) during our marriage and I would know the next door neighbors (sometimes) and that's about it. I'm thinking 55+ communities would be like high school; there was DRAMA and cliques , but it was where I had the most friends.
The cliques turn me off...think those we associate with and become friends with are normally people we share "interests" in common with. That can span the generations, of course. Like now, share interests with grand daughter, son, friend's kids, etc. Never been a big "coffee clatcher". You are so right about it being like high school though!

The cliques turn me off...think those we associate with and become friends with are normally people we share "interests" in common with. That can span the generations, of course. Like now, share interests with grand daughter, son, friend's kids, etc. Never been a big "coffee clatcher". You are so right about it being like high school though!
That's what I mean, the 55 communities have different clubs for different interest. I could join the clubs that interest me and immediately meet like minded people, whereas in open communities I would have to travel to the towns community center or senior center to do the same and anyone I meet could live miles away making it more difficult to get together. In mixed communities the young adults work and children are in school during the day and the communities become ghost towns. Then on weekends they are busy catching up on errands, we all remember what it's like, it makes it very hard to meet people or hang out.

That's what I mean, the 55 communities have different clubs for different interest. I could join the clubs that interest me and immediately meet like minded people, whereas in open communities I would have to travel to the towns community center or senior center to do the same and anyone I meet could live miles away making it more difficult to get together. In mixed communities the young adults work and children are in school during the day and the communities become ghost towns. Then on weekends they are busy catching up on errands, we all remember what it's like, it makes it very hard to meet people or hang out.
Well, sometimes its different these days. For instance there are a lot of different clubs - like I belong to the local Garden Club. There seem to be clubs for whatever interests you...unless you are in a very small/rural area of course. If you are thinking about moving someplace, it might be a good idea to check out the local groups. Colleges nearby offer great senior programs. Normally if you share interests its easy, like you say to have that commonality with each other - it breaks the ice so to speak, and permits "sharing". One of my friends is studying to be a "docent" for the local museum. There are so many baby boomers these days its kind of hard to find someplace where there aren't any folks you own age...especially in Florida, huh.

I would have a hard time living in one of those communities. My in-laws live in one of those communities and when I was visiting there was an ambulance going by almost every night! It was very depressing.

In your search, if you even consider waterfront property or property in a flood zone, factor in cost of flood insurance. It's already expensive and is scheduled to increase - even the federal plan. If you have a mortgage, it is required, and a really good idea even if you don't. Unless, of course, you're independently wealthy. Just a little FYI

Back