The World Of Spiders

funny-picture-spider-al-capone.jpg

My stepfather taught me that spider webs are a great way to stop the bleeding on small scrapes and cuts when you are too far from the first aid kit to grab a Band-Aid. It really works, try it!

and my grandmother always referred to cast iron frying pans as spiders, it was a throwback to the days when frying pans that were used to cook over an open fire had three legs.

9e666a6964beba09646eb3ebe8725d49.jpg

My stepfather taught me that spider webs are a great way to stop the bleeding on small scrapes and cuts when you are too far from the first aid kit to grab a Band-Aid. It really works, try it!

and my grandmother always referred to cast iron frying pans as spiders, it was a throwback to the days when frying pans that were used to cook over an open fire had three legs.

9e666a6964beba09646eb3ebe8725d49.jpg

My Grandmother called webs, in the corners, "Irish lace curtains".:)

No. Spiders.

I hope I didn't miss this, but you should google how many you eat while you are sleeping. I can't remember the amount, but it's a lot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's quite a bit.

I have pouch spiders in my house. They make little web pouches in places like where the wall meets the ceiling, they sleep in the pouches all day. Then they come out at night and hunt insects. I see them only once in a while, but I find their abandoned pouches everywhere.
Also called sac spiders, just little buggers, usually yellow, but I've seen brown and black ones too.

Last edited:
We have the black widow's big sister, the red back. These spiders are extremely venomous and every so often I kill one or two outside if I think someone might accidentally put their hand on one. They build their nests under chairs, window sills and the rims of big plastic plant pots. They also like stacks of bricks and hide between them in crevices. Their webs are characteristically untidy and the silk is very tough. I only have to pull a stick through any suspicious web to check for red backs. However, they are rather timid and easy to kill so they are not very scary. One squirt of fly spray and they drop out of the web and we tread on them.

25518556-australian-red-back-spider-at-rest-on-web.jpg

The common spider that does inhabit our houses does not build a web at all. It is the huntsman and hides behind pictures during the day time and comes out at night to hunt insects. It normally lives under the bark of eucalyptus trees and is rarely seen on the ground so it never walks around the floor or invades our shoes. Huntsman spider have large fangs and can deliver a bite but they are actually safe because they are not venomous to humans and can be handled safely as long as they are not squeezed. I can go to sleep with one of these fellows on the ceiling above my bed. I've never had one drop on me or crawl on my face.

I read up on the Australian Redback after I found 2 - one on my trash can & one in the back yard. I'm in California. Maybe they got here in luggage or produce. Luckily, I always have a powerful light when I'm outside at night. He was on the handle of the trash can - where I would normally grab it. At first, I thought it was just a Black Widow with the red mark on the wrong side - birth defect, LOL.

When I was a lad, the house we lived in had the lavatory down the back yard.
Trips out there after dark were only for the stout hearted, for there, lurking behind the cistern was the biggest spider imaginable (well that's how it seemed :)).
While I sat there, eyes scanning the walls and holding the candle, the crafty bugger would come down the chain and catch me off guard while gnashing his teeth at me, and, no matter how I tried splattering him to the walls with my shoe (a bit like OO7 in the Bond movie), the rascal always escaped, he was probably with the KGB.:)
A cousin who was a few years older than me, went into the lav during the daytime and caught 'Boris' in a jam jar, then he told me that he had released 'Boris' through a lady's (Winnie the Witch) letterbox, and that she would turn it into a servant girl who would wash her dishes for her. :D
However, a week later, we had another 'Boris' who turned out to be just as terrifying as his relative. :)

Hmmmm.......I have to say, I still don't like them 'Boris spiders'.

This one has taken up residence out my back door. I don't know what kind it is as I am not a Spiderologist. Last week there was also a bigger one with a fat body which I assume was a female carrying eggs. I generally leave them alone since they eat less desirable bugs.

DSC_0164.JPG

đź•·I like the ones that have fangs and can inject venom.....as long as they bite someone else and not me... đź•·

Last edited:
Pretty sure I had a brown recluse on my daybed the other day.
I offered a paper plate to assist in rehoming outdoors, no interest.
Disappeared, having seen it again.
Cats very uninterested.
If it bits you instead of a giant fan you may become a Field of Dreams fan. just sayin

Back