The World Of Spiders

Meanderer

Supreme Member
Spiders could theoretically eat every human on Earth in one year

spiderz.jpg
HOyLlpL6MbO0g
HOyLlpL6MbO0g

"Spiders are quite literally all around us. A recent entomological survey of North Carolina homes turned up spiders in 100 percent of them, including 68 percent of bathrooms and more than three-quarters of bedrooms. There's a good chance at least one spider is staring at you right now, sizing you up from a darkened corner of the room, eight eyes glistening in the shadows".

We have lots of black widows in Fresno, so Ive had to get Pest Control because they were everywhere. Don't see too many spiders now but when I do I check to see if they have the red hourglass on the bottom...after Ive killed them. :)

That's an interesting topic.

I read about an island which became uninhabited and had no predators or birds.
It became infested with spiders and there was a web across the whole island.

I don't kill spiders, even in the house. They are harmless and eat flies.

That's an interesting topic.

I read about an island which became uninhabited and had no predators or birds.
It became infested with spiders and there was a web across the whole island.

I don't kill spiders, even in the house. They are harmless and eat flies.

I kill them because the black widow isn't harmless....I'll leave a daddy long legs alone though.

https://www.desertusa.com/insects/black-widow-spider.html

We have the black widow's big sister, the red back. These spiders are extremely venomous and every so often I kill one or two outside if I think someone might accidentally put their hand on one. They build their nests under chairs, window sills and the rims of big plastic plant pots. They also like stacks of bricks and hide between them in crevices. Their webs are characteristically untidy and the silk is very tough. I only have to pull a stick through any suspicious web to check for red backs. However, they are rather timid and easy to kill so they are not very scary. One squirt of fly spray and they drop out of the web and we tread on them.

25518556-australian-red-back-spider-at-rest-on-web.jpg

The common spider that does inhabit our houses does not build a web at all. It is the huntsman and hides behind pictures during the day time and comes out at night to hunt insects. It normally lives under the bark of eucalyptus trees and is rarely seen on the ground so it never walks around the floor or invades our shoes. Huntsman spider have large fangs and can deliver a bite but they are actually safe because they are not venomous to humans and can be handled safely as long as they are not squeezed. I can go to sleep with one of these fellows on the ceiling above my bed. I've never had one drop on me or crawl on my face.

Last edited:
The common spider that does inhabit our houses does not build a wall at all. It is the huntsman and hides behind pictures during the day time and comes out at night to hunt insects. It normally lives under the bark of eucalyptus trees and is rarely seen on the ground so it never walks around the floor or invades our shoes. Huntsman spider have large fangs and can deliver a bite but they are actually safe because they are not venomous to humans and can be handled safely as long as they are not squeezed. I can go to sleep with one of these fellows on the ceiling above my bed. I've never had one drop on me or crawl on my face.

Your picture doesn't show the scale...how big is the Huntsman, Warri?

I remember a thread, where people listed the things they were grateful for. The one I liked was "I'm thankful that spiders don't fly"!

Spider Sabich
9c4dce079931dd6f28abfe9024650bfc.jpg

His lifelong nickname "Spider" was given by his father, as a result of thin arms and legs at a premature birth.

Back