The Yellow School Bus: A Historical Perspective

OMGOSH thank you, thank you. He’s going to love this, I may have to wrestle him to get my Ipad back. 😂. But the picture of the inside of the bus is priceless! He is always asking for a picture of the inside of a school bus. He will be so happy!!

He remembers the number of every school bus he ever rode on. 🤓

When I was a kid in NYC, the school buses were blue and even said "Bluebird" on them where you would see the manufacturer's name tag. Later, in California, we had yellow school buses as depicted in this thread.

Tony

I remember the steering wheels being even bigger on the city buses, and some steering wheels even had a little round knob sticking out of the steering wheel itself, which the bud driver could grab hold of and use when turning the steering wheel instead of grabbing and pulling the wheel itself.

tenor.gif

I remember the steering wheels being even bigger on the city buses, and some steering wheels even had a little round knob sticking out of the steering wheel itself, which the bud driver could grab hold of and use when turning the steering wheel instead of grabbing and pulling the wheel itself.

WOW Aunti M. you just took me down memory lane. I remember those from the early 60's. If they were not available locally they would order them from the J.C. Whitney mail order catalog. I never had one but some of my more risk taking friends on the Sandbar had them and had different names for them. Some socially acceptable and one that was not very nice to say and in some towns in Suffolk County could get ones head caved in and their Z-28 taken from them.

Read this.

01-wheel-knob.jpg

e01aa013841cdce2e137244543b3a40b.jpg

1962_Rambler_Classic_Custom_4-door_sedan_blue_2015_AMO_meet_3of4.jpg1962_Rambler_Classic_Custom_4-door_sedan_blue_2015_AMO_meet_3of4.jpg

29297d75710eba3c1d6ef4bfd5c3db46.jpg

44792573f99b128b272e181a7990c170.jpg

www.suicideknob.net

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodie_knob

WOW Aunti M. you just took me down memory lane. I remember those from the early 60's. If they were not available locally they would order them from the J.C. Whitney mail order catalog. I never had one but some of my more risk taking friends on the Sandbar had them and had different names for them. Some socially acceptable and one that was not very nice to say and in some towns in Suffolk County could get ones head caved in and their Z-28 taken from them.

Read this.

View attachment 132983

View attachment 132984

View attachment 132985View attachment 132985

View attachment 132986

View attachment 132987

www.suiciedknob.net

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodie_knob

OMG!

That is so totally awesome. Fast!

EXACTLY how I remember them!

Yes, a wonderful walk down memory lane indeed!

Thanks so much for this!

The third picture down is his favorite although he also really liked the video of the girls backpack stuck in the door as well. I told him in the car that you put the pictures on for him to see. His response was an excited “really? He really did that for me? How nice.”

When we got home he walks into the house, sits right down, and says “ok, where are the pictures?” 😂. after viewing them he says his roommate will be jealous. 😀 Thanks again, he LOVED them @FastTrax

Back