These Stressed Times are Stressing People and How They are Acting

Ruthanne

SF VIP
I was thinking the other day that some people are going to have a hard time handling the stress of these troubled times. Sure enough I am seeing signs of it.

At my apt. complex 2 of my neighbors have been arguing every time they interact outside. It has gotten so loud I have run to the window to see what is going on.

Apparently one neighbor thinks the other is getting in his business. I have seen 3 arguments between them since last night into today. In the last one the really p-d off one told the other one to stay the f out of his business and then to stop talking about him and talk to his face and come to his apt. if he wants to say something. That is a summary as they have exchanged much more angry words than that.

The one was so mad I really doubt that the other would go up there and say something to his face. I really hope this doesn't get any worse. I have thought about calling the managers to tell them what's going on but also thinking as loud as they've been the managers may have heard them. I hope it doesn't come to blows or worse. One is an older man and I'd say the other may be in his 40s or there-abouts.

Has anyone else seen anyone behaving differently in this stressful time?

Bound too happen, little things are going to set us off as we focus on these little things to cope with not focusing on the big things we have no control over.

Today I was thoroughly peed off as I am completely out of thread to finish a project and the one and only one fabric store is closed till further notice.

I swore, got mad, and then calmed down enough to make a few phone calls and found a store 45 minutes away where she will do a sidewalk drop off.

People by me have been very nice, it seems everyone shares the stresses and are making the best of it. My neighbors and folks in the park are keeping their distance but being very helpful and friendly. Other than that, I haven't been around many other people lately.

My grandson is 22 months today. He is exhibiting some small signs of regression due to the stress of not being on his regular schedule of school, friends, the playroom in his apt. bldg. being closed, his dad having to close himself up in a room to teach remotely, his mom stressed over different things; only seeing his Grandparents on FaceTime. I think, I know, he is picking up on the tension surrounding him; not his parents necessarily, but people in the street acting in a peculiar fashion, wearing masks and carrying bleach! Freaky, and there is no way to explain to the young ones. We at least know what's going on. Kind of.

I’ve noticed shop assistants are saying “Stay safe” instead of “Have a nice day”

And a friend, in her early seventies, who helps care for her grandchildren, finding it quite stressful is unable to do it because of social distancing, has been eating chocolates, watching old films and drinking Baileys, looks like there might be a few happy grandmothers about ! 🥂

Last edited:
Well, I, too must say that most I have encountered have been very pleasant and kind especially the apt. manager who has been doing some grocery shopping for me.

I just gave an example of how 2 of my neighbors have been going at it but all the others have been quiet and keep to themselves. There are a whole lot of apts. here.

I don't interact with many people these days, but by and large they are being very nice.
In myself, I am detecting some tension that I can only attribute to worrying about where this is all going. It brings on additional fatigue from not sleeping that well.
My wife is handling things reasonably well, but she also experiences tension and loss of solid sleep.
The two Bichons and the cat are working overtime to keep us level.

I don't interact with many people these days, but by and large they are being very nice.
In myself, I am detecting some tension that I can only attribute to worrying about where this is all going. It brings on additional fatigue from not sleeping that well.
My wife is handling things reasonably well, but she also experiences tension and loss of solid sleep.
I, too, don't interact with many. The only reason I am sleeping well is sleeping meds. that are working good for me right now. I think we all have that tension now, myself included. I have some days that are worse than others. Hopefully, this is going to get better..in time..and with how we are isolating.

Well, I, too must say that most I have encountered have been very pleasant and kind especially the apt. manager who has been doing some grocery shopping for me.
That's great Ruthanne! We ordered some things online from Sam's Club yesterday for pick up. We were hoping they had curbside service so we wouldn't have to go into the store. But we do have to go in near the exit where they have a pick up desk to claim the order, then I think if we want they'll come out and put it in the car.

Not sure about this service, I only saw my Kroger supermarket had parking spots to pick up orders, and they brought them out to customers. My husband made the order and didn't add my name as an optional pickup person, so he'll have to go in and take care of it. Guess it's better than walking through the store to pick the items out.

We just had a no contact delivery from Wing-Stop. We've been thinking that we want to order food from local businesses while it's still possible, leaving the food we have at home for a later date.

Same here Pecos. We are definitely feeling more stress than we did, say a week ago...mostly being uncertain of where things are headed. My cat and dog definitely help with giving a feeling of calm, their bellies are full and we love them every day, non-stressful life for the furbabies. :)

I definitely noticed it a lot more this weekend than last weekend. And I had to make a phone call to the town/government services today. Well it was Monday for starters but they seemed more dense than usual, as was the bank. Even the Dollar store employees were more miserable.

I salute retail employees in particular but many work in retail for a few extra bucks or very specific hours/schedules, not 40 a week plus overtime. Some haven't worked 40 hour week or worked full time in a decade or two.

I went to the supermarket to pick up a few things for my elderly friends. I got irritated when there was a line of 15 people. I could understand if there were many people inside, but the market had very few shoppers in it & they were letting in only 5 people at a time.
I went to the exit door to sneak in but there was a guard who told me to go to the entrance.

I did notice many people speeding & driving recklessly.

I did notice many people speeding & driving recklessly.

Absolutely the driving. Speeding and reckless. People who do most of their driving at rush hour traveling to/from work drive different off their normal time/route. Rush hour has a certain pace, people are familiar with their route and time of day. Now there are people driving with completely different agendas, goals etc. But I've seen it in snow, hurricanes as well. I even found myself not paying attention but I caught and corrected myself. I saw a driver sit at a traffic light intersection doing something for about 10 seconds. But the roads were that empty.

I'm okay and not seeing people behaving badly. I do dislike the uncertainty and restrictions on activities / the closures etc. which happen almost hourly. Life seems out of control and unpredictable to the point of discomfort.

There are so few cars on the road now that people are indeed driving far more recklessly, but there are a lot of police cars to help maintain order. The lack of physical contact is hard. For me.

I'm no longer as patient as I was either. This is a tough and stressful time for certain.

Nature is the only soothing thing as I watch the geese feeding by the pond. The females will have their young soon. That's something I always enjoy seeing. And the flowers are beginning to bloom and the birds seem to be singing more because it's spring. All these things help a little.

Because of our brain-dead L.A. Mayor's suggestion, I think there will be more problems than solutions.
Today, (among other asinine things) he said, "When you see people who are less than 6 feet apart, you should say to them, "Listen, you can kill people because of what you're doing."
Gee, I wonder what a typical reaction to that would be if a guy & his girlfriend or wife are strolling down the sidewalk?

Because of our brain-dead L.A. Mayor's suggestion, I think there will be more problems than solutions.
Today, (among other asinine things) he said, "When you see people who are less than 6 feet apart, you should say to them, "Listen, you can kill people because of what you're doing."
Gee, I wonder what a typical reaction to that would be if a guy & his girlfriend or wife are strolling down the sidewalk?
[/QUOTE
I had to go to Wal Mart today and prayed no one would say something like that to me. Only noticed a couple of men cursing about items being unavailable that's about all. They were with their wives. Probably didn't believe what the missus was telling them about bare shelves.

That's great Ruthanne! We ordered some things online from Sam's Club yesterday for pick up. We were hoping they had curbside service so we wouldn't have to go into the store. But we do have to go in near the exit where they have a pick up desk to claim the order, then I think if we want they'll come out and put it in the car.

Not sure about this service, I only saw my Kroger supermarket had parking spots to pick up orders, and they brought them out to customers. My husband made the order and didn't add my name as an optional pickup person, so he'll have to go in and take care of it. Guess it's better than walking through the store to pick the items out.
Well, we went to Sam's Club this morning after being notified that the order was ready. Although my husband made the online order and used his name and credit card, didn't add me as an alternate pick up person, he sat in the car and I went in alone.

They were very nice there. Only another couple were waiting to pick up besides me, we went in through the exit door, which was locked and had to be opened by an employee. They didn't even ask for ID, I just signed the computer to pay and left with the food. We ordered 7 items, but only picked up four, they said the other three were out of stock....wish they said that when he ordered it online.

There was a loooong line of people waiting to get in outside the entrance. They all were standing with carts, and were at least a cart length apart. They were only letting in 25 shoppers at a time, when one came out, one was allowed to go in. Much easier to order online, I wouldn't have waited on a line like that. We drove past two supermarkets on the way back home, no lines there.

When we came out of Walmart yesterday, there was a man and woman parked next to us, and they were having a real serious shouting match. Even with their windows rolled up, we could hear them arguing loudly. We quickly put our stuff in the car, and got away from them.

As this illness drags on, I suspect the divorce rates will begin to climb.

Well, we went to Sam's Club this morning after being notified that the order was ready. Although my husband made the online order and used his name and credit card, didn't add me as an alternate pick up person, he sat in the car and I went in alone.

They were very nice there. Only another couple were waiting to pick up besides me, we went in through the exit door, which was locked and had to be opened by an employee. They didn't even ask for ID, I just signed the computer to pay and left with the food. We ordered 7 items, but only picked up four, they said the other three were out of stock....wish they said that when he ordered it online.

There was a loooong line of people waiting to get in outside the entrance. They all were standing with carts, and were at least a cart length apart. They were only letting in 25 shoppers at a time, when one came out, one was allowed to go in. Much easier to order online, I wouldn't have waited on a line like that. We drove past two supermarkets on the way back home, no lines there.
Today, several stores announced a policy of letting shoppers over 60 in without waiting in line. Some may have to show ID - if you look younger than you are. They will probably have to ignore dirty looks from younger people in line.
I was flattered when I was asked to prove I'm over 60. I've been 60 for 7 years.

Back