They don’t make them like they used to - thank goodness

It's never fair to compare the quality of American junk to any Japanese car. I always LOL at people who praise the quality of their American car - based on "Patriotism," rather than the truth. They'll usually accept all the quality & reliability problems to support the illusion of "Supporting Americans."

I don't think people love their old cars because of "patriotism" , I think it's because of nostalgia. I would love to own a late 1960's early 1970's convertible. They are just cool looking cars. All cars pretty much look the same to me anymore. Those cars had style and class.

(But, it would have to be in decent shape and run)

Many people think the name "Ford" is Henry's last name.
It's actually an acronym for "Found On Road Dead."
IIRC, "GMC" stood for "God's Mechanical Curse".

I owned a lot of cars over the years. Quality has typically depended more on the model (and the individual car) than on the manufacturer.

About the only thing Opal is the body, but, it's definitely an Opal :) Drag racers loved the "baby vette".
https://barnfinds.com/baby-vette-drag-car-1969-opel-gt/
I followed drag cars when I was 14 until about 20. They were more of a novelty car than a true drag car. I liked the dragsters, like “Big Daddy Don Garlits” drove. He was the first drag racer that built a rail powered with a .392 hemi. After that, he just kept improving on the horsepower.

But, my favorite was Tommy Ivoe and his famous 4-engine Dragsters. He once built a 4-engine Buick. Guy was an engineering genius.

Yeah, that .392 hemi had about 525 hp out of the factory. Garlits has a museum down in Ocala, Florida, which I hope to visit maybe next summer. If I had a million bucks that I could spare, I would build my own drag car. I once met a guy that was his lead mechanic back in the day. Maybe he was or maybe he wasn’t. I don’t really know, but he knew an awful lot about him and the cars he built. We talked for almost an hour before I cut him loose.

The nicest car I've ever owned was my 1919 Cadillac close-coupled sedan which took me a year to restore. It was originally owned by Henry P. Morganthau, Secretary of the Treasury under Roosevelt. Unfortunately, back in 2009 when things were tough, I sold her.
7.jpg

These days, I own a 1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe in pristine condition that we take on weekend drives and even fairly long trips. It has power everything, it's a dream to drive, totally dependable and has an option you can't even get in cars these days...a cassette deck!
Oct 2019 X25.jpg

I've owned American, German, and Japanese cars. My parents only bought Fords owing I guess to brand loyalty. I haven't bought new since the 1990's, with my goal generally to buy a late model car with low miles in good condition. Presently I have a Subaru and a Nissan, and both are solid and reliable.

This thread made me look up the places of manufacture for 4 of my vehicles. 1 assembled in Oklahoma, 1 in Ontario, 1 in Michigan, and 1 in either Riverside Ca, or Japan, or Canada. (too rainy out to go look up the vin right now) :)
Looks like my stuff is more worldly than me. 🤣

DSC02548.JPG

Here you go. :) :) man I love youtube. (y)

I saw this car run back in 1967 or 68. It was a canary yellow and was called “The Wagonmaster.” I was able to very briefly speak with Tommy and I really wanted to know how he was able to work all 4 engines with 1 engine powering each individual wheel. He started into a very long story about using some type of fluid couplings and then he completely lost me.

What should I have expected from a former “Mouseketeer?” I always considered him an engineering genius after producing these cars.

I saw this car run back in 1967 or 68. It was a canary yellow and was called “The Wagonmaster.” I was able to very briefly speak with Tommy and I really wanted to know how he was able to work all 4 engines with 1 engine powering each individual wheel. He started into a very long story about using some type of fluid couplings and then he completely lost me.

What should I have expected from a former “Mouseketeer?” I always considered him an engineering genius after producing these cars.

I'll tell you, I knew how many different paint jobs this buggy had. :) I like the one pic which has a stock Buick nosed up. (y)
Hey... maybe that's you checking out the rig. ;)

WAGONMASTERREARSIDE.jpg3e82824db37f47baa3b369d9bba1e508.jpgaa780dcd2d3d64247bf19344d75dcdcc.jpg

It's never fair to compare the quality of American junk to any Japanese car. I always LOL at people who praise the quality of their American car - based on "Patriotism," rather than the truth. They'll usually accept all the quality & reliability problems to support the illusion of "Supporting Americans."
A lot of Japanese cars are manufactured on American soil by American workers. So I don't feel too bad about owning a Japanese car.

I have owned many many cars and trucks. I have been a "car " forever. I own a 1969 camaro RS convertible that I have had for 40 years. I bought it from the original owner. I have kept this particular car stock, pretty much like it was from the factory. It drives like a 40 year old car, terrible handling, super uncomfortable seats, etc, etc. After I drive to a car show or just a Sunday drive and then get into my new vehicle, it always amazes me how much better they are and about a thousand times safer.
I have had a few drag cars, mostly big block plymouth barracuda's and a few GM cars, any new muscle car like the new Camaro, mustang, challenger, could blow my doors off! And get far better mileage as well. Yes, thankfully, they don't make them like they used to!

I have owned many many cars and trucks. I have been a "car " forever. I own a 1969 camaro RS convertible that I have had for 40 years. I bought it from the original owner. I have kept this particular car stock, pretty much like it was from the factory. It drives like a 40 year old car, terrible handling, super uncomfortable seats, etc, etc. After I drive to a car show or just a Sunday drive and then get into my new vehicle, it always amazes me how much better they are and about a thousand times safer.
I have had a few drag cars, mostly big block plymouth barracuda's and a few GM cars, any new muscle car like the new Camaro, mustang, challenger, could blow my doors off! And get far better mileage as well. Yes, thankfully, they don't make them like they used to!
Heard that, We've had lot's of cars and some were wicked fast. However, they didn't stop as well and several didn't corner as well as newer stuff. I had no idea that auto's had built muscle until the wife wanted this Camaro convertible. Man, 180 mph capability :eek: Stopping power to match and a corning fool... all this while wrapped in supple leather with the a/c and 800 watt Monsoon stereo blaring. (y)
That said, I'd still trade my soul for the 32 Ford I lusted for in my younger days. Mild chop, translucent purple iridescent pearl, Chrysler Hemi with 4 carbs, moon discs, wide whites. What's not to love? :)

2000 Z.jpgPhil-kaelin-1932-ford.jpg

Back