Things From Before

My Electrolux 2100 is nearing 40 years old now. Hoping to get 40 more years out of it.

I don't look at it as a just a vacuum, to me there' history behind it, and I'm reminded of all the history it's seen every time I plug it in.

I can still see my kids sitting their diapered bottoms down on it and going for a ride when I vacuumed.

As for the Dixie Cup dispensers of yesteryear, we had one in my childhood home, and I'm certain it was gifted to us, because not only would my parents never have spent the money on it, but once all of the Dixie cups were gone, that was the end of the dispenser.

Autumn. This one is for you! :)

536a9083ccae12f3776c555a224db9af.jpg

For some reason a memory of my childhood popped up last night of my parents buying a trash compactor. They thought it was a big deal even though I am the one who ended up with the chore of using it. I know it was a big deal back in the 70's but looking back I can't really figure out why it was such a big deal .

5330486d6c3aa5ac8581e42667d4127a.jpg

For some reason a memory of my childhood popped up last night of my parents buying a trash compactor. They thought it was a big deal even though I am the one who ended up with the chore of using it. I know it was a big deal back in the 70's but looking back I can't really figure out why it was such a big deal .

View attachment 134500
Was it capable of compacting the garbage into a more smaller and convenient package?

Never seen one before, let alone did I know they existed (back in the day) for everyday average household use.

Was it capable of compacting the garbage into a more smaller and convenient package?

Never seen one before, let alone did I know they existed (back in the day) for everyday average household use.
Yes, it did compact the garbage. You lined the insides with a preformed cardboard container and then just threw trash in and it compacted it. When full, you tied up the top of the container and pulled it out.

Yes, it did compact the garbage. You lined the insides with a preformed cardboard container and then just threw trash in and it compacted it. When full, you tied up the top of the container and pulled it out.
Wow. Being that it was such a small unit, I wouldn't have expected it to work so well.

I had a white one.! :D Did you upholstery have little tiny pinholes all over... ..and also did you have a Bud Vase?
It did! I loved that car, and it would literally go through anything...my sister and I drove from Ontario to Boston in the middle of a fierce blizzard and the car never faltered. Everyone else was getting stuck, but we sailed right along. After that, I had a bright blue SuperBeetle...amazing cars!

Back