Things you wish you could filter out of your news feed

Irwin

It's too bad there aren't filters to prevent things you don't care about from showing up in news feeds or YouTube suggestion.

Here are some things I don't care one iota about...
  • The Kardashians
  • Justin Bieber
  • Anything on Fox News
  • People predicting the outcomes of investigations
  • Anything related to gambling (there are too many damn gambling commercials on TV these days!)

I filter out what I don't want to see on fakebook and YouTube. If something shows up, on fb, just hit the 3 dots to the right of the post and it has a hide option. Do that and you will even be able hit the do not want to see again option.

On YouTube on the right bottom of the video (in the feed) is 3 dots, hit that and it will give you some options, one being not interested or don't show this channel again. I use that one all the time. I also go into my account and delete the history of videos I did not like or did not mean to turn on.

That's the best I can do.

Kind of understand but just like everything on internet and my streaming services, i'm quite capable of ignoring the things that don't interest me.

If you don't watch any videos from a specific YT channel they usually stop popping up on your feed, and more of the ones from channels you do watch pop up. i also subscribe to several YT channels i really like. So when i'm in the mood for certain type of content i can just go to my list.

Kind of understand but just like everything on internet and my streaming services, i'm quite capable of ignoring the things that don't interest me.

If you don't watch any videos from a specific YT channel they usually stop popping up on your feed, and more of the ones from channels you do watch pop up. i also subscribe to several YT channels i really like. So when i'm in the mood for certain type of content i can just go to my list.
Every time a Fox News video shows up in my YouTube suggestions, I click on "not interested" but they keep showing up. There's no way to block the channel that I can see.

Edit: YouTube is adding a feature to allow users to block a channel from being recommended. Supposedly, it's available now on mobile devices, but not on Roku or desktop browsers.

I filter out what I don't want to see on fakebook and YouTube. If something shows up, on fb, just hit the 3 dots to the right of the post and it has a hide option. Do that and you will even be able hit the do not want to see again option.

On YouTube on the right bottom of the video (in the feed) is 3 dots, hit that and it will give you some options, one being not interested or don't show this channel again. I use that one all the time. I also go into my account and delete the history of videos I did not like or did not mean to turn on.

That's the best I can do.
I assume you're accessing that option on a mobile device. It doesn't seem to be available on a desktop browser yet. I wonder if I block it on my phone if that block will carry over to other non-mobile devices. :unsure:

What's a news feed?
I use Feedly for my news feed. It provides headlines from news sources you subscribe to. Obviously, that's not where I want to block sources, but with some of the sources I like, they sometimes publish crap that I don't want to see. Like it would be nice to not allow anything that mentions the Kardashians, Justin Bieber, reality shows, Kanye West, and Hollywood restaurants I "need to try." I guess mainly I don't want to hear about pop culture because I don't care. Most of it's annoying.

Some people use Facebook for their news feed, some use Twitter... there are other apps that will aggregate sources into one feed. I like Feedly.

I use Feedly for my news feed. It provides headlines from news sources you subscribe to. Obviously, that's not where I want to block sources, but with some of the sources I like, they sometimes publish crap that I don't want to see. Like it would be nice to not allow anything that mentions the Kardashians, Justin Bieber, reality shows, Kanye West, and Hollywood restaurants I "need to try." I guess mainly I don't want to hear about pop culture because I don't care. Most of it's annoying.

Some people use Facebook for their news feed, some use Twitter... there are other apps that will aggregate sources into one feed. I like Feedly.
It must have come across as being facetious asking what a news feed was. I Googled it but the answer was fluent gobble-de-gook, it made no sense whatsoever. That said, I never listen to the radio news, never watch TV news and my wife's daily newspaper goes unread in my eyes. News is depressing, avoid news and there's nothing to depress you.

It must have come across as being facetious asking what a news feed was. I Googled it but the answer was fluent gobble-de-gook, it made no sense whatsoever. That said, I never listen to the radio news, never watch TV news and my wife's daily newspaper goes unread in my eyes. News is depressing, avoid news and there's nothing to depress you.
News feeds are for online news sources — as apposed to radio, TV, or print media.

I agree that news is usually depressing, but that's because too many people are uninformed or misinformed, and the quality of our elected officials and the policies they enact reflect that fact.

I thought you were being facetious. I have seen the words " news feeds" pop up from time to time and I believe I know what it consist of but I do not imbibe. If I feel like getting a blast of the news I go to a news source on the internet. Then I can pick and choose what I want to know about. That way if something world shaking happens I will see it at the top of the webpage.

Every time a Fox News video shows up in my YouTube suggestions, I click on "not interested" but they keep showing up. There's no way to block the channel that I can see.
See that's where you're a stronger person than I am. I watch the Fox News video and then feel like it's my duty to be the one voice of dissent in the comments section where all their dittoheads are agreeing with eachother.

See that's where you're a stronger person than I am. I watch the Fox News video and then feel like it's my duty to be the one voice of dissent in the comments section where all their dittoheads are agreeing with eachother.
Arguing with a Fox News adherent is like arguing with a Jesus freak. It's impossible to get through to any of them. They found a place where they're accepted and fit in, and if they dissented, it would mean ostracization from their social group. I get the appeal of that... having a strong bond with people along with the notion that you're a rebel. It's just not something that I'm able to do at this point in my life.

When I was in my teens and early 20s, I might have been an anti-vaxxer or anti-masker because I didn't care about anything. I spent most of my time drinking and doing drugs. That was my way to feel like I fit in. Everybody I hung out with drank heavily and did a lot of drugs. Sometimes, doing what it takes to fit in can be self-destructive, and that's what people are doing with the covid-19 conspiracy theories and practices. The thing is, though... Most of these people are not kids. Most of them are of the babyboomer generation.

Most of what we watch is what we have recorded. We watch it at our convenience.
We change the channel if some rubbish like the Communist News Network comes on.
Celebrities are just overpaid people with a big mouth.

It's too bad there aren't filters to prevent things you don't care about from showing up in news feeds or YouTube suggestion.

Here are some things I don't care one iota about...
  • The Kardashians
  • Justin Bieber
  • Anything on Fox News
  • People predicting the outcomes of investigations
  • Anything related to gambling (there are too many damn gambling commercials on TV these days!)
Very well said and I agree with you.

Here are a few more things I don't want to see...
  • Relationship advice columns.
  • Anything regarding Megan McCain or Paris Hilton
  • Stories about gays and trans people. Sorry, I don't care.

Back