Thinking back to Thanksgiving years ago.

When I was very young my mom used to make minced tarts. I was never fond of it myself or Christmas cake or Christmas pudding. Those currents .... yuck. She never made pumpkin or apple pies or any other pies for that matter.

Yes, I recall mince pie and didn't care for it much, as a kid. My grandmother always used to make it, my mom made it a few times, but it faded away after that. It's pumpkin, apple, and blueberry nowadays. Same at Christmas.

I did not know what a mince pie was (never had it), so I googled it and found this fascinating article about archaic laws still on the books in England. Read it, it's fun!
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17610820
About mince pies in the article =
Legend:It has been claimed that the act of eating a mince pie on Christmas Day is illegal in England.

Evidence: Festive celebrations, including mince pies and Christmas puddings, were reportedly banned in Oliver Cromwell's England as part of efforts to tackle gluttony. But the ban did not survive when Charles II became king. In fact, the Law Commission says none of the 11 laws that remained on the statute books after Cromwell's reign related to mince pies.

Verdict: Myth.

I'm a fan of mince pie.

Another thing that is missing from many Thanksgiving tables is mashed yellow turnip with plenty of butter and black pepper.

rutabaga_224550895-e1475500085814.png

I'm a fan of mince pie.

Another thing that is missing from many Thanksgiving tables is mashed yellow turnip with plenty of butter and black pepper.

rutabaga_224550895-e1475500085814.png
I make turnips all the time! I made them for every Thanksgiving dinner also, though it was only me and my parents that ate them. Now it's just me, husband isn't crazy about them and my kids and siblings won't touch them either. I love them, same with mincemeat pie.

My late husband loved mince pie,I tried it once,seemed to have a raisin base to it,wouldn't call it a fav though,he loved mashed turnips too,boy,those things are tough to cut up!

Back