This is not what was in the brochure...

Jeni

hello all,
My title is a result of recent conversations with people, some who think life works just like what they see on a glossy brochure.

Often it is not after you get into a situation that you see the glossy picture you bought into is just not so.
Insurance comes to mind as you often find out what is really covered AFTER you use it.

It has been difficult to not have people to discuss items with as many neighbors seem terrified of chatting and working from home takes all the social aspect out of work too.
I have enjoyed the past few days since i joined this forum at least as an outlet to chat and get the real information from people living in various areas.:)

So happy you decided to join us, Jeni. :)

The way I see it is, there's a whole lot of members here who all have experience and advice about everything under the sun, so no matter what it is that someone needs to know, there's a good chance that someone on this forum will have the answer or answers you're looking for.

Most brochures are nothing more than window dressing. Remember caveat emptor.
I know,
I got into a deep discussion with my son in law as he has very little real world experience and seems to believe all spin ...... so sad critical thinking seems to be lost .
He evidently has led a charmed life where there is no downfalls ....... probably looks like who-ville in Dr Suess.

I know,
I got into a deep discussion with my son in law as he has very little real world experience and seems to believe all spin ...... so sad critical thinking seems to be lost .
He evidently has led a charmed life where there is no downfalls ....... probably looks like who-ville in Dr Suess.
Yup, my rose colored glasses broke when I was a year old. After that, it was all down hill.

Yup, my rose colored glasses broke when I was a year old. After that, it was all down hill.
me too....

I have spent my life seeing things for a different point of view and often wonder what it is like only see the good in people or not noticing when things just don't add up in a conversation etc.

sometimes people need a first hand experience to see through BS in this world ....

I think I may have not been clear .....
One of the funniest things i ever saw was a travel advisors notes on complaints from people about vacations ... tried finding it to post but the just of it was :
A guest complaining something like " what happened..... on the brochure the sand looked white.... this is tan and it rained for two days but ..... all the pictures in brochure had sun? "

I think too many people are that guest...... clueless to the idea that real does not equal what they think it is.
In today's world it has gotten worse in not seeing the devil is in the details not the original IDEA .

This current situation is shown the this .... ten fold. I just look for realists to chat with i guess.

Awwww come on...life does have its ups and downs and that is what it is all about. As for glossy brochures - I take it as a look before you leap.

We ALL need encouragement at times and there are many here who offer it here. I believe there is good in everyone as we all make mistakes and hopefully we will be forgiven.
You obviously never met my mother.

I still tend to look thru rose colored glasses until proven wrong. I mean, I’m not stupid, I believe very little of what I read and see until I can approve or disapprove my own self. but when it comes to mankind, everyone has a chance, in my eyes.
Wow, Kathleen, I wish I could be more like you.

Most days as of late I feel as though I have lost any/all faith in mankind and his ways.

what a day......
I am at a loss but I guess ....common sense is not a flower that grows in everyone's garden.

I am currently working, it is not a great job, it is well paid ............but the company is having some growing pains so it seems to change focus everyday............ it is like trying to chase a drunk squirrel.

Do you ignore incompetence or either call out or inform people of the error?

It seems to be happening more and more and everyone around me seems to simply give excuses or second/ third/ fourth chances to get it right........ so frustrated at this point.

People who say they read something but ask a question clearly spelled out in the material.....
People told do NOT reply all but they cannot grasp that concept......
I person told exactly where to find the information needed where a file is located on a shared drive and they want a direct link not having to navigate the system...... i remember in school a teacher having a whole class look up a word in dictionary not because one person could not get it but as she said 'so i know that you know how to look on your own not relying on others for information"
we have so much information all around us at our fingertips and so many seem to expect others to do the steps for them........

My thought is a simple reminder seems to be better then enabling this behavior but those around me who constant complain about having too much to do enable these folks and do all the leg work instead of teaching a person how.

end vent

🤪

Last edited:
so i get a voicemail from the company that provides electric service in my home town. I own a home there my daughter and her family lives in and pays me rent.
They had a large wind storm that knocked out power on Wednesday it is mid day friday still not everyone is restored....

what was amusing about it is while using the "covid" excuse of crews only able to work so close etc ......
they went on to suggest people ask friends if they can stay over or sofa surf if their power is out and they can't afford a hotel room .....

They suggested to all those working from home to try to use wifi at coffee shops etc .... even though those are closed to indoor dining. COMPLETE disconnect and I am not talking about the electricity:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have had some changes happen lately ..... my job (which was a contract position) is ending........i was told they did not update the contract process and everyone's will end on their respective dates... but as I enter information on these things the words are not true.
A short friendship ended quickly recently also .........

No matter why things end or change............. I want to be able to say thank you............... to the few who made me fit in and taught me skills that i will be taking with me.............I wish ...........i was always kind and thoughtful enough to say thank you every time this has happened .. or let others that helped me grow and change in jobs and or life know i am grateful...................... i know i missed chances to express my thanks.

It seems some things end and there was no time to really say "thank you" for helping me grow.........

I truly hope .....
..................if you are a person who showed another a skill or even made them see items from another vantage point....
you see that some times someone may have not had the chance to say goodbye and thank you properly........
You may have made a bigger difference then you know.........
i hope i get to say thank you ............ but if i miss anyone along the way ......... i hope they know it.

Don't you find that the news channels tend to encourage the lack of realism? Certainly here in Britain, the unpleasant stuff seems to get brushed over and it's the trivial that is given the attention. As the British media uses the American as it's role model, I presume it must be the same in your country too.

I am doing it again.........
Many times i have gone along with items even though I was not entirely on board.........
Have stayed at jobs longer .........went to social events that were disasters even though i did not want to go etc.

My job was scheduled to end last August...... between my placement agency and business they extended to the end of February ..... i did not say anything just went along now as the light of leaving is here my boss wants me to help him convince HR to extend contract .......i find myself resorting to a people pleasing mode ..... I wrote out item i am doing beyond the general job to help boss reach out to HR.........but really sit here HOPING they turn him down.

Is it better to be honest and say thanks but no thanks........?

Last edited:
Do you have any future work possible? If not, good luck with whatever your present company decides.
i work for extras and padding a set retirement plan...... not need....... i know i could replace job if wanted easily .....just felt bad leaving them in the current state of transition they are going through .... but if i stay this will make it seem i want to forever and that is just not so

In a word: yes.

If you wanted to leave, why stay? If you have to, work it so that your leaving doesn't impact future jobs, but leave, all the same.

At least, that's what I'd do.
i to be honest ... I am staying because the job is easy and grossly overpaid........
i should have said no i do not want to stay when it expired last time but i was not even consulted........ In my shoes i am working for extras not because i am having to make rent etc..... It is assumption IMO that they are somehow doing me a favor .........
even though i told them up front I am not dependent on this income...... i find many places assume if you work for a temp place you are struggling to find full time permanent employment instead of i can work for short stints to supplement if I chose......... this is the problem with assumptions
perhaps it is best i just say i am ready to go....

I sit here with 2 weeks left on this job..... so last night i applied for one job not that i really wanted it but to test the waters ...........
I had phone call this morning from a placing agency (different one then i worked with before) who had not 1 but 15 jobs she could slip me into tomorrow.....

She says she has far more positions to fill then applicants................???............ but that is NOT what anyone would hear on the news all these positions pay between $20-30 an hour ........... where are the people?

I told her i need to finish my obligation to current role but she said ok as soon as your done call me......

Back