This Is Why I Don'T Fly

If big passenger jets like that can be blown around, I can imagine what happens to a small 4-passenger plane.
The last time I flew was 27 years ago. Coming back from a cousin's wedding in Youngstown, OH, I was in the restroom & everything started violently shaking like a big quake. I had to hold on to the sink. I didn't know what "Turbulence" was. I remember thinking, "Damn...I haven't made out a will yet."

There are several videos of these types of landings on YouTube. This is mainly caused by crosswinds, which can be dangerous. If the winds get above 45 mph (not knots), by policy, we were supposed to divert. It takes a very experienced pilot to put the plane on the runway while experiencing these winds.

I once flew down to Miami just as Hurricane Andrew was approaching the Florida coastline. Air Traffic Control told us that the airport would be closing in one hour and according to our computer, we were about one hour and fifteen minutes out. Winds were already at 35 knots, or 40 mph. So we speeded up and made the runway right as they closed the airport at about 9 p.m. We were lucky not to have any traffic in front of us.

I never really knew much about aviation until I saw the ARTCC scene in "Close Encounters". I never even knew planes had radios. Now that I am retired I am heavy into aviation communications monitoring. I track planes through "FlightAware" and listen to MCO tower, departure and arrival live streams via LiveATC. Still won't go anywhere near an airport though.

www.flightaware.com

www.liveatc.net

Last edited:
I never really knew much about aviation until I saw the ARTCC scene in "Close Encounters". I never even knew planes had radios. Now that I am retired I am heavy into aviation communications monitoring. I track planes through "FlightAware" and listen to MCO tower, departure and arrival live streams via LiveATC. Still won't go anywhere near an airport though.
FlightAware is probably the number one tracking software for flying enthusiasts. I know a lot of people like to listen to live communications between the tower and planes, as well. United, the airline that I flew for, offers all passengers to listen to live communications between their plane and the tower while flying by plugging in their headset and tuning into channel 9. It helps to alleviate the boredom.

I once flew down to Miami just as Hurricane Andrew was approaching the Florida coastline. Air Traffic Control told us that the airport would be closing in one hour and according to our computer, we were about one hour and fifteen minutes out. Winds were already at 35 knots, or 40 mph. So we speeded up and made the runway right as they closed the airport at about 9 p.m. We were lucky not to have any traffic in front of us.

I watch and listen to Miami International Airport quite often via this really cool site.

www.miamiairportcam.com

Crosswinds, microburst, engine falling off, rude flight attendant, doesn't matter. I'd need this as soon as the plane started taxiing.

109886782-passenger-holding-air-sickness-vomit-bag-in-airplane-for-emergency.jpg

urp..........

Last edited:
I watch and listen to Miami International Airport quite often via this really cool site.

www.miamiairportcam.com

Crosswinds, microburst, engine falling off, rude flight attendant, doesn't matter. I'd need this as soon as the plane started taxiing.

View attachment 121295

urp..........
If you ever fly again, you may want to try Scopolomine patches. I’m not sure of the spelling and they are only available by a script from your doctor, but people do swear by them.

Microbursts push the plane down. All planes have Microburst Detectors onboard now. No fear.

You have heard the old saying, “The most dangerous part of the flight is the drive to the airport.” I liked the saying, “Any landing you walk away from is a good one.” Or, “Let’s kick the tires and light the fires.”

No, I rent. I ran the numbers some time ago, and it was a wash, This way I do not have to worry about maintenance, etc.
This is why I never bought my own plane. The rent for storage alone was way more than I was willing to pay. I had thought about buying a home out in the country with some land with it and then built a blacktop runway. But my wife put a stopper to that idea.

The airport near us does store planes, but I wanted inside storage, which ran the cost up quite a bit.

There hasn’t been a fatal airline crash in the U.S. since 2009 in Buffalo. Now, feel better? This crash was mainly because the pilots were fatigued from flying all day. There are new FAA regulations in place now to prevent this from happening.
A friend of mine's daughter was on that plane. She was meeting her hockey team, but never made it. We were stunned to say the least.

This is why I never bought my own plane. The rent for storage alone was way more than I was willing to pay. I had thought about buying a home out in the country with some land with it and then built a blacktop runway. But my wife put a stopper to that idea.

The airport near us does store planes, but I wanted inside storage, which ran the cost up quite a bit.

www.livingwithyourplane.com

www.airparkmap.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airpark

www.aerotime.aero/aerotime.extra/22859-john-travoltas-house

AD-John-Travoltas-House-Is-A-Functional-Airport-With-Runways-01.jpg

www.airnav.com/airport/17FL

Back